Sony STR-V25 Receiver - Tuner String Came Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony STR-V25 Receiver - Tuner String Came Off

Hey guys what's up, looking for maybe some guidance on how I can get my tuner string back on and taut like it is supposed to be.

I took a few photos that I will show at the bottom and I tried my best to illustrate the problem.

1st problem is that the string seems to slip on the metal tuner rod instead of catching and staying tight. I saw a video where a guy had the same problem and he just use a nail file to scrape up the small rod to allow it have some friction with the string and hence allowing it grab it and not slip.

2nd problem is I'm not sure how the string goes around the black wheel that is attached to the capacitor in the back. There are 2 ends that both get attached to springs (which both work well), I'm just not sure how it should go around on both ends.

3rd problem is related to the problem above. The string seems to be twisted around itself near the black wheel that is attached to the cap. The 2 ends never came undone where the springs are so I am just unsure how this string system can work.

In the images I will put numbers 1,2,3 to show where in the image each problem I am referring to. I will use "W" to show where the 2 wheels are that guide the string around.

Thank you so much for the help, really appreciate it.

Also I found the service manual:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by travisbklein; 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM.

Re: Sony STR-V25 Receiver - Tuner String Came Off

The diagram for the string is in the manual, page #5, I don't think I could explain it any better, IE the "metal tuning rod" requires 3 turns of the string.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      The diagram for the string is in the manual, page #5, I don't think I could explain it any better, IE the "metal tuning rod" requires 3 turns of the string.
      Dude, what is wrong with me. I went through that manual, it was really late at night after I was hands on with the unit for a few hours , I think I was just really tired.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I'm going to get on this! thank you, really, thank you

Comment

Just take your time with it, they can be a pain sometimes, let us know how it went.

Comment

oh my god I did it, thanks to you pointing that service manual out!

I didn't have good nail file to really get in there and grind up the metal turning rod so that more friction would be used and really grab the string.

So I used what any normal person would use, an electric carving knife

held it to the tuning rod and rotated it just a few times and got some good nicks and created some good friction with the rod and the string.

Thank you R_J thank you!!!!

Travis

Comment

There should be no need to gouge up the flywheel shaft, 3 turns on it should be good enough, if it is still loose the string needs to be a bit tighter. You can put a knot in the string near the tuning drum to shorten it slightly
            Last edited by R_J; 12-18-2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
              There should be no need to gouge up the flywheel shaft, 3 turns on it should be good enough, if it is still loose the string needs to be a bit tighter. You can put a knot in the string near the tuning drum to shorten it slightly
              I agree usually this is not the solution, but after years a combination of the string getting ever so slightly longer and the flywheel getting more slick because of the molecules lost each time there is friction between the string and the rod, then it does begin to slip. (similar to how rocks get really smooth over time, from running water)

After putting it on correctly once I tried it and of course it was slipping so I used the trick I learned the last few days from experienced youtubers who repair electronics and decided that would help, and it did.

Here is a video I watched where the guy did the exact same thing, however he had a handy grinder file perfect for the job, I had to improvise :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G266dzQwNrc

Ty again R_L you are the man

Comment

if all in proper tension rosin works to excess .. rub on wipe off .. cheap as rosin and lasts forever .

Comment

ahhhh I love this, if this ever happens again I will use that! Just like a baseball player holding a bat! ty ty

Comment

Working...
                  X