Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to reattach connector pin of a keyboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to reattach connector pin of a keyboard?

I have a magnetically attached keyboard (cover) to a MS surface tablet. The tablet doesn't recognize that it is coupled. I measured the two "data pins" and they measure "infinite" resistance... :-( I compared this to an another broken keyboard and they had finite resistance (the tablet recognizes this one). Decided to take apart the broken one and almost immediately the two pins in question on the 6 pin connector fell off ... What!!!!.... while the other 4 basically are "stable". I figure the other key board connector has the same problem and more so such that the 2 pins are already broken off in the connector body.

Attached is a picture of the "dissected" connector of the broken keyboard. My question, here, how can I put these back... what soldering technique will work? The pins have a "spring loaded head" to engage the other connector surface.

I haven't "disassembled" the other "better" keyboard yet because the process is quite "destructive" potentially so I am still thinking on ways to achieve a better disassembly.

Thanks for any guidance on this. I hope the keyboard can be salvaged... replacements are relatively expensive.
    Attached Files

Re: How to reattach connector pin of a keyboard?

maybe put flux, then heat the spring-loaded pin with a CLEAN iron tip till the heat reflows the solder at it's base.

i have seen similar problems with terminals (previously) attached to ceramic boards.

Comment

:-( there doesn't appear to much any pad left to attach to as measured / check with a meter. Tried to solder and basically nothing there for the post / pin to hold on to. Doesn't leave many options, I guess.... maybe some how trying to "retrack" the area some how. Very poor mechanical / electrical design for something gets "banged" around alot from "cover on / off" efforts.

Comment

well it's an M$ product - it's not like they dont have a long history of failures.

including the ZUNE media player,
        the xbox with it's combustable psu inlet,
        the xbox360 with it's gpu with a shim of a heatsink on it,
        the xbox-one with it's currently unsolved common fault of instant power-down,
        and the first surface tablets having the keyboard cable come away.
        and of course buying Nokia and then fucking them completely before selling the carcass for pennies.

Comment

Working...
        X