• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ViewSonic VP201b

Originally posted by PlainBill
    Exactly!!

PlainBill
    There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
    • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
    • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
    • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
    • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
    • Windows 10 Pro x64
    • GeForce GT1050
      2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Hello to everyone, since this is my first post on this forum!

I just received a malfunctioning VP201b and the original owner claimed that the picture rolled from top to bottom.
      However, when I unpacked it, it functioned perfectly, hmm...
      Since I have been reading a lot about the bad caps in Viewsonics, I decided to take a look inside.
      It looked like someone had been there before me, but I removed the power supply to measure the ESR on caps. I found that they were fine, BUT the main 400v cap was totally broken off from is soldering on + side and same thing on one of the legs on a power transistor, other that these probs, it seem to function perfectly.

-Jan

Comment

It seems that after a few days of working fine, the original fault has returned and it seems to come and go.
        Here's some video of it in action:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFRo8uhad0

After I filmed this, it returned to normal and has been working fine for a couple of hours now.

-Jan

Comment

Originally posted by jankro
          It seems that after a few days of working fine, the original fault has returned and it seems to come and go.

After I filmed this, it returned to normal and has been working fine for a couple of hours now.

-Jan
          Well. Welcome to the forum
          You said you resoldered the 400v cap and power transistors, and that the ESR of the installed caps was OK.
          1.- Did you measure the Voltage coming out of the PSU into the main board?
          2.- Is there any noise coming from the unit when this happens (I can't hear anything in the video)?

If it is making a sound, it comes from top or bottom of the unit? Or the PSU? It looks like an arcing CCFL. There are 6 CCFLs in there. maybe one degraded and arcs. It is an intermittent failure until it finally dies and the whole backlight subsystems will just shut off.
          There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
          • Windows 10 Pro x64
          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

No, I did not measure the voltage and there is really no sound at all.
            The picture starts doing that first slowly and the faster and finally it stops, like cut with a knife and picture returns to normal.
            I checked all the caps on the power supply, but not the video/control PCB.

Actually, it does not seem to be backlight problem, since the backlight does not flicker at all, it just looks that way, since youtube downgraded the avi file so much.
            The backlight stays at constant brightness all the time this is happening.

-Jan
            Last edited by jankro; 06-16-2009, 12:25 PM.

Comment

No, I did not measure the voltage and there is really no sound at all.
              The picture starts doing that first slowly and the faster and finally it stops, like cut with a knife and picture returns to normal.
              I checked all the caps on the power supply, but not the video/control PCB.

Actually, it does not seem to be backlight problem, since the backlight does not flicker at all, it just looks that way, since youtube downgraded the avi file so much.
              The backlight stays at constant brightness all the time this is happening.

-Jan
              Check first if the voltage reading fluctuates (I doubt it because you say the Backlight is constantly on.
              Then check the VBoard.
              • Windows 10 Pro x64
              • GeForce GT1050

Comment

-Jan
                It is not the p/s.

Look at your main board (where the vga & dvi connects to). If it is covered with browish film. Wash them off. Look on the solder side too.

If that doesn't help, remove the flat cable to the LCD panel, clean it with eraser and insert it back. You can yank off those yellow high temperature tape to access the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by lucky13
                  It is not the p/s.
                  That's why I said "I doubt it", but I have to rule out that possibility (for the prevous problems he told about), then move on to the VBoard.
                  The ribbon cable suggestion is great too.I forgot about it.
                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Thank you guys for all the information here!!! It seems to be a very usefull site for people wanting to repair ther electronics. I am very glad I found this forum!

(please tell me if I'd better start a new post, but I think i'm on the right topic)

Here's my situation:

I have a vp201b
                    It stopped working yesterday, green led stays on, but no image.

During the last year it went though intense pink flickering issues that I gently solved by hitting the screen on its bottom. I thought that backlamps could have been slightly out of socket (are theses soldered?). Recently, it worked pretty well, without any flickering issues at all... then just shut the image off yesterday, without any other sympthoms.

I did unsrcrew the whole thing, then visually inspected all the caps (Rubycon). Nothing catched my eye. Then I tested the current out of the red and black wires of the power supply: 17,83v (I assume it's ok).

I looked at the 2 fuses on the inverter panel, theses seem visually ok to me, i tested if current goes through: it does.

My assumption is that the backlights are blown. When I took the whole thing appart, I thought I saw some brownish crap on two of the tubes, but now It somehow disapered... Can they blow altogether? Can any other part could have make theses blow? (appart from me hitting it.. i know) Is there any way to make sure theses are blown, any other things to look for before trying to replage theses?

and a last thing... i've looked everywhere for the lights... anybody knows where to find this part, or at least the part number...

Thanks a lot guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by burzukk
                      Thank you guys for all the information here!!! It seems to be a very usefull site for people wanting to repair ther electronics. I am very glad I found this forum!

(please tell me if I'd better start a new post, but I think i'm on the right topic)

Here's my situation:

I have a vp201b
                      It stopped working yesterday, green led stays on, but no image.

During the last year it went though intense pink flickering issues that I gently solved by hitting the screen on its bottom. I thought that backlamps could have been slightly out of socket (are theses soldered?). Recently, it worked pretty well, without any flickering issues at all... then just shut the image off yesterday, without any other sympthoms.

I did unsrcrew the whole thing, then visually inspected all the caps (Rubycon). Nothing catched my eye. Then I tested the current out of the red and black wires of the power supply: 17,83v (I assume it's ok).

I looked at the 2 fuses on the inverter panel, theses seem visually ok to me, i tested if current goes through: it does.

My assumption is that the backlights are blown. When I took the whole thing appart, I thought I saw some brownish crap on two of the tubes, but now It somehow disapered... Can they blow altogether? Can any other part could have make theses blow? (appart from me hitting it.. i know) Is there any way to make sure theses are blown, any other things to look for before trying to replage theses?

and a last thing... i've looked everywhere for the lights... anybody knows where to find this part, or at least the part number...

Thanks a lot guys!!
                      The pink flickering would indicate failing CCFLs. There are several tests to try.

1. What happens if you turn the monitor off, then on by pressing the power button on the front of the monitor?

2. When you have the green power LED AND are sending a good signal to the monitor can you see an image when you use a bright light to illuminate the screen?

The best way to test the CCFLs and the inverter is by buying a 'cold cathode light kit' used for 'modding' computer cases (available for under $10 on eBay). Use the inverter in the kit to power the CCFLs in the monitor; use the CCFLs in the kit to test the inverter in the monitor.

CCFL lamps come in a wide variety of diameters and lengths. Google CCFL Lamp or CCFL Backlight to find suppliers.

PlainBill
                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the fast reply!

I'll reassemble the monitor and do the flashlight test and get back to you!!

Comment

The pink flickering would indicate failing CCFLs. There are several tests to try.

1. What happens if you turn the monitor off, then on by pressing the power button on the front of the monitor?

2. When you have the green power LED AND are sending a good signal to the monitor can you see an image when you use a bright light to illuminate the screen?

The best way to test the CCFLs and the inverter is by buying a 'cold cathode light kit' used for 'modding' computer cases (available for under $10 on eBay). Use the inverter in the kit to power the CCFLs in the monitor; use the CCFLs in the kit to test the inverter in the monitor.

CCFL lamps come in a wide variety of diameters and lengths. Google CCFL Lamp or CCFL Backlight to find suppliers.

PlainBill
                          I agree with PlainBill. Pink hue= dead (or about to die) CCFLs.
                          Also agree on the case light kit method, as that's what I use.
                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Ok, I did reassemble the monitor, I see the faint image with the spotlight. I also spotted back the brownish things near the bachlights... It's actually the thick transparent plastic that seems to have to small melting spots near the begenning of the backlights, on the left... Same thing for the upper lights.

It seems to have overheated over time (I use this monitor A LOT)

I'll look for ccfl, dependind on the cost, I might just try my luck at buying theses directly without testing with the case modding kit, even if this semms to be the best method.. I need this monitor asap, and since the flickering issue, changing lights could not be a bad thing.

Thanks again for your help guys, i'll get back with results!

Comment

Ok,

I spotted this place..

http://www.lcdparts.net/ccfldetail.a...ctCCFL=MS26413

they sell theses 13$ each.
                              from what I saw in the monitor, I need 6 fo theses.
                              they also want to sell me silicon caps... do I need this?

Do you believe this is what it's supposed to be worth?

Thx again!

Comment

Ok,

I spotted this place..

http://www.lcdparts.net/ccfldetail.a...ctCCFL=MS26413

they sell theses 13$ each.
                                from what I saw in the monitor, I need 6 fo theses.
                                they also want to sell me silicon caps... do I need this?

Do you believe this is what it's supposed to be worth?

Thx again!
                                Also look here: http://www.ccflsurplus.com/26x41fuspcc.html

PlainBill
                                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

nice... cheaper

you think I need the caps and rings?

http://www.ccflsurplus.com/2siendca.html
                                  http://www.ccflsurplus.com/siliconorings.html

Comment

I don't know. It would depend on the condition of the originals and the care you took in removing them.

PlainBill

Comment

Great forum.
                                      I was given a vp201b - I have determined the main power supply is bad. Puts out 18VDC disconnected but drops to 4VDC when connected. I wired up a 16.9VDC brick PSU to the main board and the monitor works beautifully.

I still want to fix the main power supply.
                                      Two Ltec 680uF 25V with bulging butts are the main suspects.
                                      They measure 200 and 460 uF respectively.
                                      A Taicon 150uF 400V cap measures 130uF - tolerable?

So far so good: should I expect anything beyond that?
                                      Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by fritz
                                        Great forum.
                                        I was given a vp201b - I have determined the main power supply is bad. Puts out 18VDC disconnected but drops to 4VDC when connected. I wired up a 16.9VDC brick PSU to the main board and the monitor works beautifully.

I still want to fix the main power supply.
                                        Two Ltec 680uF 25V with bulging butts are the main suspects.
                                        They measure 200 and 460 uF respectively.
                                        A Taicon 150uF 400V cap measures 130uF - tolerable?

So far so good: should I expect anything beyond that?
                                        Thanks in advance
                                        Nope, just replace the two Ltec caps. The Taicon is seldom a problem.

PlainBill

Comment

Nope, just replace the two Ltec caps. The Taicon is seldom a problem.

PlainBill
                                          I agree. I have repaired three VP201 and two VP211 (it's 21.1" cousin) besides one unit I have that needs a panel. Always the 680uf ones on the PSU.
                                          Leave the big fat bad boy alone. I don't think it is the trouble.
                                          • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                          • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Working...
                                          X