Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving The Backlight: CCFLs Or LEDs?

Driving The Backlight: CCFLs Or LEDs?
    Bob Arnold, Joe Barnett, Tom Novitsky | ED Online ID #14814 | February 15, 2007
    The typical LCD backlight can be one or more cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs) or an array of light-emitting diodes (LEDs). An example of each is shown in Figure 1. The quality of the backlight image depends heavily on the backlight driver. In this article, we will discuss the considerations one can make for CCFLs and LEDs, as well as how to power both kinds of backlight.

GENERAL CCFL CONSIDERATIONS
    CCFL backlights are the most common backlight technology and are used in displays ranging from 5.7 to 23 in. or more diagonal. They can have from one to 24 or more lamps mounted along the edge of the LCD or spaced uniformly over the entire back of the display.

Typically, brightness is controlled by modulating the CCFL current or lamp duty cycle. The basic driver is a dc-to-ac inverter powered by 5 to 48 V dc.

GENERAL LED CONSIDERATIONS
    LEDs are already used in a wide range of smaller displays. For larger displays, because of their higher power consumption and, in some cases, their mercury content, CCFL backlights are beginning to be replaced by LED backlighting. LEDs may be arranged along the edges of the LCD or as a matrix over the back of the LCD assembly. The LED devices may be arranged in series or parallel. Either configuration will provide uniform LCD lighting. The LED strings can be arranged in parallel using a series resistor in each string to provide string-to-string current balancing as well as lighting redundancy.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Re: Driving The Backlight: CCFLs Or LEDs?

when is leds in computer lcd coming? i have only seen them in one $4000 Samsung tv.....
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I have the Samsung LED DLP HR-S5679. They don't use LEDs for backlighting though. There are three LEDs; Red, Blue, Green. They modulate their output that is then projected on the DMD which then gets reflected up on the screen. This eliminates the lamp and the color wheel. More importantly, and why I bought this one, it eliminates the damned rainbow effect that plagues traditional DLPs.

There have been people that say its not a very bright display, but I don't see any problems with it.
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

the one i was talking about is LE40M91B

pity no good info on the net........
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

whoops.....my bad.

I didn't even know it existed. I haven't seen anything here. Then again, its only 40".

i tried to see if there was any info, but no good info...in English. Oh well.
          "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
          AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

Working...
          X