Is this polymer capacitor defective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this polymer capacitor defective?

I have Gigabyte EP31-DS3L board but recently it frequently have failed to boot(it show only black screen) so I have to push power button or PSU's power switch several time until It succeed to boot(until it show a post screen)
    and even after It succeed to boot, It intermittently stop to work on windows and show dread BSOD screen or even it turn off itself without any BSOD screen.I tried it on spare PSU but PSU change doesn't fix this problem
    I inspect this EP31 board visually and noticed that some polymar caps have bulged(this bulge leave inner and outermost circle on the top of polymer caps like attached screenshot.I think it is abnormal appearance of any polymar capacitor especially OSCON brand's)
    Is this polymer(os con 16v 470uf)capacitor defective?
    and If this polymer capacitor is really defective, Is it possible to replace it with obsolete electrolytic capacitor?
    ( because it is nearly impossible to get surpassing or equivalent specification of 16v 470uf polymer capacitor in my nation)
    Any replies would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bshi02; 04-28-2014, 04:14 AM.

Re: Is this polymer capacitor defective?

They do appear to be bulging, which shouldn't happen (those are very high-quality capacitors). What kind of power supply do you have?

Also, we could help find replacement capacitors if you update your profile with the country that you're in.

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply.I live in seoul city of South Korea.and I purchased second hands EP31-DS3L Motherboard about 3 years ago,and I suspect that this bulge was caused by 20pin+4pin 300w PSU which I have once used for approximately six months, because I don't have any spare 24pin+4pin PSU at that time.
      It(EP31-DS3L Motherboard) is connected with 500w 24pin+4pin PSU presently.
      There is some Low ESR electrolytic capacitor in my house(16v/1800uf and 16v/1000uf )
      Is these bulged polymer capacitor can be replacable with Low ESR electrolytic capacitor of higher capacitance?
      (I just have located a certain site where deals in OS-CON's polymer capacitor or other polymer caps from different brands ,but Its price is not rational comparing to purchasing another second hands motherboard.)
      Last edited by bshi02; 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Those caps are fine. I've seen plenty of boards with OS-CONs that were like that from the factory. It only seems to occur with 10mm dia OS-CONs.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Always check the power supply for bad caps, especially if it is 3 years old or more. It's usually where they hide the cheap capacitors as well, particularly if the power supply is made in China (PRC) or Taiwan.

Comment

Working...
          X