Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Integrated Sub amplifier repair

Hey all,

I found this thread through AVS when I was searching for ways to fix my own CSW Megaworks 210D system. I had it in storage for a couple years, and when I set it up the other day it was making some really bad intermittent sounds: pops, intermittently plays music, drops out, erratic sound playback. It does it independent of touching inputs or speaker cables, and also regardless of whether the volume knob is being used or even plugged in. It never settles on one volume, and is always breaking and plays back sound broken and intermittent.

I really have no electronic experience at all, and wondered if others had a similar issue and doing this cap replacement had fixed things? Did or does anyone know where I can get a copy of a schematic to help have this repaired?

Thank you for your time. Really glad I came across this!! Great pics OP...very helpful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amtprod View Post
      I really have no electronic experience at all, and wondered if others had a similar issue and doing this cap replacement had fixed things?
      Welcome, amtprod!

Judging by the replies/feedback in this thread, it is very likely that some new caps will fix your problem with this amp. I think it would be okay, even if you really don't have any electronic experience, as long as you can follow instructions and do your homework on reading how to do things. If you look at ljbrandt's post #16, he says he has/had no experience either and got it working.
      So re-read the thread thoroughly, and if you have any questions, ask.

Comment

Hi all !! I know this is an old thread but am requiring some assistance I have a polycom cambridge soundworks Bash c1ply240 and have experienced the hum issue my power caps are swollen so assume they need replacing but my main issue is ...A resistor has blown at R501 and it has obliterated the markings on the body... Do you think I'm flogging a dead horse or is it worth a couple of quid and time to try and repair...its an amazing little system as I have x4 mc150 speakers as well ..... have located a cap supply but am struggling with the vaue on this known blown resistor...can anyone help?? I've posted on this thread as the megaworks 210d seems to have the exact circuit board that mine has!!

Comment

If you look at the images ljbrandt posted the resistor i'm interested in is on image 11 at the top left corner R501 by the red coil !!

Comment

That resistor and the nearby 104 (0.1uF) capacitor probably constitute a snubber. If so, then the unit should be able to function without it.

Check the capacitor for a short circuit.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply FZABKAR !! I am good at fixing things but am no way an electronics guru !! ..... So I.m back to swapping out the power caps then ? I will do this and report back ...was just worried that a crispy component was not good !! snubber = voltage spike supression circuit ? .... Well I'll order the caps off e bay and give it a go ... ... just to check i am going to order panasonic ecos2da221ba ....Thanks again !!

Comment

not ebay,
                in the u.k. use farnell
                postage is free and the caps arent fakes!

Comment

The panasonics are discontinued so i thought that one of these component clearance houses(uk address) was going to be ok ?? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-...WEBnQ#viTabs_0 but if you dont think so i will scour farnell's for a similair version.... but will take me some time probably ..... Thanks for the heads up STJ!!

Comment

As I'm on the "case" and in the kitchen.... thought i would test resistance on the "crispy"resistor ..... it still has a value !! (wow) thought it was u/s !! 110k from lead to lead so i guess its ok but just scarred...does this value make sense for a snubber resistor?? (apologies I am a novice at this kind of thing!!) it was originally brown with stripes so what type of resistor would i need to replace this also??

Comment

Does it matter if the ESR is different on a replacement capacitor? Farnell dont seem to stock an exact match other than US stock so shipping costs are high!! .....referring to e bay link on caps - that part no... on the yellow label is an RS part no and checks out through RS as the correct part ....still a goer or not ??

Comment

Reading through all this again ....FZABKAR..... Just to clarify did you mean test the 104 cap or the power caps for short circuit ?? I am limited in my testing capabilities and am seemingly like a dummy in my electronic fault finding !!

Comment

Enough of my waffle !! Sorry chaps ! I'll just get down to it and replace them caps first and report back like I said ....hopefully with good news ..but thanks for the advice/support guys ....good site ...good info....

Comment

I would trace the circuit around the resistor and the 104 capacitor. Then we could see exactly what these components do.

Comment

the 104 capacitor and resistor R501 are part of the incoming mains supply to the power board and then subsiquent distribution to the power capacitors (that are swollen - now removed from board ready) ..Perhaps a little history.. the amp/sub are(were) connected to my pc, which regularly "goes to sleep" the unit goes to standby with no input signal ...was ok at first but then as time went on ,when the pc went to sleep the unit would go to standby with a "pop" which progressively got louder as time went on ...... then one day when I came home from work (I had forgotten to switch pc off) I had the hum problem through the speakers...So I then took it apart for an inspection!!

Comment

Working...
                              X