Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer aspire v3-531 dead, b+ short?

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire v3-531 (compal LA-7912P) which is dead, no lights at all.

Board looks good, no sign of damage or blown components.

I'm new to component level diagnostics but testing and tracing I find that B+ rail only has 0.2v, looking at the circuit diagram (found here I presume this is fed from PQ1.

VIN is good (18.6v) and PQ1 is getting around 6v at pin 3, but only 0.2v reading at pin 1.

I've checked resistance from B+ to ground and see 0 ohm - I presume there is a short? B+ feeds many areas of the laptop so what would be most likely area to cause this short?

Many thanks.

Re: Acer aspire v3-531 dead, b+ short?

After some searching I read that running some power through B+ should heat up the faulty component, so I did this and found the marked capacitor gets hot.

I cannot locate this component on the circuit diagram to find its value and replace - can anyone help?

It appears the bottom of the cap goes around to the other side of the board to 0v, the top goes to a ferrite bead (I think that's what it is) and then on to +5V for the HDD.

I cant see any ferrite bead marked on the circuit diagram for this area. My board is marked as Rev 1.0 and the circuit diagram rev 2 if it makes a difference.

Can anyone please help identify this overheating component?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by _RicH_; 07-19-2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Re: Acer aspire v3-531 dead, b+ short?

if u remove that capacitor, light goes up ?

check also after removing voltage on both pins
      Last edited by dellxps15; 07-19-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X