Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding fans to Panasonic Plasma

Hi,

Recently replaced SC and surrounding boards on a Panasonic TC-P42X1 due to standard 7-blink failure code. There are no cooling fans on that model. Searched the forum for a mod to add them, but didn't find one. Forgive me if I didn't look hard enough, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that. I have quite a few quiet computer case fans. Zip ties and a separate power supply blowing in maybe?

Thanks,

John

Re: Adding fans to Panasonic Plasma

Yes you have all the required components to install fans in your PLASMA. I always add a gratis fan to my PLASMA jobs. Just make sure and set the air direction to extract hot air from the TV. I would normally take the 12-17Vdc from the PSU pin to close a relay that will turn on the fan, supplied with power from a small 12V SMPS.

Comment

Sorry I didn't get back to this earlier. Forgive my manners.
      Thanks for the suggestion Andrew

Comment

I added a fan to my TC-P42S30 after the SC board repair.

The fan is powered off the F_15V line with a resistor that dropped voltage to 7V. This provides sufficient airflow whilst not being extraordinarily loud. I tapped off the 15V supply to the SC board so it would only be active when the panel was on.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I often use the 5V powersupply which is normally strong enough (enough current capability to run a few extra fans) or indeed a 12-15V supply with some resistors. Not all 12V fans will run, or better not start up of off 5V.

I use old computer-/server-fans, not really quiet ones, so I need to drop the voltage more to get them to an acceptable soundlevel compared to new quieter fans

Two of my examples. In no way a perfect solution, but it may help to get ideas.

A 60" plasma, never used them until a fault reappeared and the fault wasn't solved by the extra cooling.

I did use a plug so the backplate can still be totally detached.

42" plasma, known for overheating issues. So that is why I put them on the heatsinks themselves. Loads more work than the 60"above. They have several speed settings and it is a WII/XBOX monitor, so noise isn't that much of an issue.

Link to moving gif.
          It won't show correctly when linking it as a pic and sorry about the speed being a bit high. Made this years ago and wouldn't know where to find the original pics...
          Last edited by r-p; 09-23-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X