Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P3V4X After recapping regulator gets hotter

Hi all,

This will be my thirst thread over here!

I have an Asus P3V4X motherboard. After 10 years of use i thought to give it some service. The caps used on this motherboard are:

Rubycon ZL for regulators for AGP and CPU.
    Sanyo SE for other filtering and stuff.

I know that these capacitors are good, but After 10 years of use they are getting old and some get warm to.

I replaced the capacitors by the Yageo SY series. (low esr, low impedance)
    The system is more stable now, so that's a good thing!

The problem I noticed that some regulators get hotter then before and the capacitors arround it to

http://www.pothasttechnologies.com/e...SUS_P3V_4x.JPG

On the photo (from the internet, they use other capacitors) its the regulator on the right side of the printer port, between the two coils and the 3 capacitors down under the right coil. This is what is getting hot.

Has this something to do with the ripple current?

Also I raised the capacitance of the Vcore from 1200uF to 1500uF beqause I'm using a Pentium III-S 1400Mhz processor with a slot-T adaptor.
    Most motherboards (socket370) have much more capacitance for filtering so I thought it could do no harm.

Anyway, what's up with the hotter regulators?

Thanx!

[EDIT] I meant low impedance.
    Last edited by Gekkehenk; 05-20-2012, 08:03 AM.

Re: Asus P3V4X After recapping regulator gets hotter

I'm going to assume the CPU VRM caps were 10mm 6.3V 1200uF (Am I correct?)....

Rubycon ZL Spec (6.3 1200uF 10x16):
    1430 0.038

And you replaced them with:
    Yageo Spec (6.3 1500uF):
    10x15: 1210 0.06
    10x19.5: 1400 0.046

In both cases, even if you went for the higher spec 19.5mm height Yageo SY cap, it is still inferior to the original Rubycon ZL cap.

Another thing... Yageo is a substandard brand... Don't use it. I recommend getting Nichicon HM/HN, Rubycon MBZ/MCZ, Samxon GD/GC, Sanyo WG, Panasonic FJ/FL, in other words, a reliable Japanese brand...
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yageo = Teapo. Same caps, different name and totally useless for recapping motherboards (they don't have a single cap series with good enough specs, even for ancient boards like this one)

Comment

Yes, that's correct. 10mm, 6.3v 1200uF.

I allready had my doubts about Yageo but I never had bad caps from them on a motherboard before, not that I know of that is. I did see a lot of bad Teapo's but now I know it's the same crap.

Back in the days (2003-2005) when I worked in a computershop, I bought Rubycon ZL capacitors or the big green nichicons (wich were often used by MSI) for a recap. I thought the small ones i used (1000uF) were mostly Rubycon XYG.

The Yageo capacitors were easy to get my hands on, that's the main thing why I bought these.

Allright, I'm glad I did use the 19,5mm capacitors from Yageo then but I'm going to replace them all once again!

Comment

I still have a few questions.

It's allright that I use a higher value for the CPU VRM for better filtering? 1500uF or maybe 2200uF instead of the normal 1200uF.

I can only buy the following capacitors.

Nichicon HM 1500uF 6.3v 10mm x 20mm
          Nichicon HN 1500uF 6.3v 10mm x 20mm
          Rubycon ZL 1500uF 6.3v 10mm x 20mm

Which of these are simply the best to take for the VRM's?

For the smaller ones I only can get the following: (8mm, lead spacing 2.5)

Nichicon L8 series. (polymer)
          Nichicon HM

Some of these small ones get warm to, about 40 degrees celsius.

Which should I take? Or do I need really other ones? I have to look futher then.

Thanx.

[EDIT] I'm reading that Nichicon HN/HM have failures in their series? It's an old topic or is this still going on?
          Last edited by Gekkehenk; 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

old topic. happened in ~'04-'05
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
            X