Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watchguard Firebox BIOS

Hi everyone.

Found a Firebox x500 in the trash a while ago with busted caps in it. Had a friend of mine recap it and it starts and all but doesnt POST. Voltage for the cpu is there so PSU seems fine. I think it might be due to a corrupted BIOS. Is there anyone here owning a Firebox x500, x700, x1000 or x2500 that could dump the bios so i could try it out. The models i listed are all the same hardware apart from different cpus/memory.

Hope this is the correct forum part to post this in, its essentially a socket 370 motherboard in there.

EDIT by mods: BIOS available here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...866#post548866
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-21-2020, 10:55 AM. Reason: Add link to BIOS

Re: Watchguard Firebox BIOS

Try going to http://www.watchguard.com/

Enter the serial # of the box you have to get support.

It is unlikely you will find what you need otherwise.

Each box has a flash based on the features enabled for it when purchased and are based off the serial # of the box.

Comment

All the features is in software, the bios are exactly the same for all units (apart from maybe some serial), that much i know. The reason for not registering the box is cause the previous owner has to sign it over to me and Watchguard need to approve the handover of the unit before I'm entitled to any support. Since i don't know who the previous owner is i think the chances are slim to get any support at all from them.

Already did sign up for an account there but didn't register the unit due to all the hassle :P

Anyways im not going to use the original software on it anyways, from what ive read its total crap
      Last edited by digge; 08-14-2010, 02:55 PM.

Comment

For the routers I fix it's the CMOS that gets corrupt. Flick one jumper and it's back to normal.
        sig files are for morons

Comment

Originally posted by severach View Post
          For the routers I fix it's the CMOS that gets corrupt. Flick one jumper and it's back to normal.
          Are you refering to some bios savior, or are you refering to a clear CMOS jumper? I think i had the battery out for quite some time while soldering, but my memory might fail me so ill try it again just to be safe.

However i think if it were only CMOS settings that were wrong i would get a bit further in the boot process before it hangs.

Comment

I'm fixing a different brand. They have a CMOS clear jumper. Removing the battery works too. They are dead until the CMOS is reset.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

Tried clearing CMOS no go. Also mailed watchguard who told me the unit is EOL so they cant really help me either way. Will try to mail them again since it was the sales email i mailed since they don't have a tech support mail, it seemed like they thought i wanted the chip and not just the contents. Looking at a dump of the BIOS it looks like the data part (the part after all the FF FF...) start much too late compared to other bioses I've looked at.

Comment

@digge

Since you've had the X500 opened could you please let me know what the fan part number is. I have a noisy one I want to replace and I'd like to order it before I extricate it from our rack.

I'm really surprised it doesn't just start up. I don't know that much about them but it's possible they might boot off a hard drive - there's a slot for it in the front.

thanks

Comment

Pretty sure hard drive is option from what I just read on watchguard site

Comment

How would I dump BIOS for you - used burn them 20 years ago for PC-XTs but...

Comment

Working...
                    X