Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westinghouse 37" LVM37w3 troubleshooting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse 37" LVM37w3 troubleshooting.

Brand Westinghouse
    Model: LVM37W3

SO I just bought this for $80, they said it needs a new power supply so I said ok.

I brought it home, plugged it in. The light in westinghouse logo came on but when you press the power button nothing happens. Took it apart didn't see any bad caps but they were teapo.

While I was testing the voltages on the inverter board, some of my sweat from my forehead fell on the power board specifiably a rectifier, saw a spark from the short and now when you plug it in, the light in westinghouse logo doesn't come on.

I assume this is BAD.

Question is can I fix the power board? or has short doom it?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-16-2011, 03:35 PM.

Re: Westinghouse 37" LVM37w3 troubleshooting.

try not to use the preview function when uploading photos.
    seems to be kinda buggy for some reason..

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
      try not to use the preview function when uploading photos.
      seems to be kinda buggy for some reason..
      photos UP! seems to have trouble with picutres exceeding 4000x3000, does this forum come with automatic resizing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
        photos UP! seems to have trouble with picutres exceeding 4000x3000, does this forum come with automatic resizing?
        I use windows live photo gallery its free.Any photo program should work.You just have to resize to 2000x2000 max size
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Can you point out which diode you "sweated" on? Have you tried checking the fuses?

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            Can you point out which diode you "sweated" on? Have you tried checking the fuses?
            Yes I check the fuse.

04n70bf

It's this one
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Rectifiers or diodes usually start with a "D". You're pointing to Q4, where "Q" stands for a transistor. 04n70bf is possibly a AP04N70BF mosfet.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                Rectifiers or diodes usually start with a "D". You're pointing to Q4, where "Q" stands for a transistor. 04n70bf is possibly a AP04N70BF mosfet.
                So is there any chance of repairing the damage?

Comment

So is there any chance of repairing the damage?
                  If you have a manual range multimeter, set it to 200 ohms (two hundred). You can test for shorted transistors "in circuit" (with power off and unplugged)

a) put black probe on pin 1 and red probe on pin 2 - read/record ohm
                  b) put black probe on pin 1 and red probe on pin 3 - read/record ohm
                  c) put black probe on pin 2 and red probe on pin 3 - read/record ohm

If any ohm reading is less than 30 ohm you might have shorted transistor. Remove the transistor and repeat the tests out of circuit to verify.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    If you have a manual range multimeter, set it to 200 ohms (two hundred). You can test for shorted transistors "in circuit" (with power off and unplugged)

a) put black probe on pin 1 and red probe on pin 2 - read/record ohm
                    b) put black probe on pin 1 and red probe on pin 3 - read/record ohm
                    c) put black probe on pin 2 and red probe on pin 3 - read/record ohm

If any ohm reading is less than 30 ohm you might have shorted transistor. Remove the transistor and repeat the tests out of circuit to verify.
                    Just to clarify pin 1 being left next to print of Q4?

I got to go to work in few minutes, so I will have to do it when I get back.

Comment

Just to clarify pin 1 being left next to print of Q4?
                      It doesn't matter. There are only 3 possible combinations -> 1-2 1-3, 2-3.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If that FET is shorted, R67 will probably be open. This confuses a lot of people. After they replace shorted semi's, bad caps, etc, those source/emitter resistors come out to play. .39ohm, 5% 1W metal oxide fusible.

That resistor is used as a current sense shunt to tell the current mode PWM what the primary current is. One end of something like a 1k resistor should go to the junction of the top R67 and Q4's source. The other end of that resistor will go to the current sense input or ancillary components by the PWM IC. Make sure those parts are OK, as the top of R67 will be at B+ when the FET shorts and R67 opens.

-Paul
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          It doesn't matter. There are only 3 possible combinations -> 1-2 1-3, 2-3.
                          I'm going to remove the transistor tomorrow.

pin 1-2 = I get quick reading before going OL
                          pin 1-3 = 01.0
                          pin 2-3 = quick reading before OL

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                          If that FET is shorted, R67 will probably be open. This confuses a lot of people. After they replace shorted semi's, bad caps, etc, those source/emitter resistors come out to play. .39ohm, 5% 1W metal oxide fusible.

That resistor is used as a current sense shunt to tell the current mode PWM what the primary current is. One end of something like a 1k resistor should go to the junction of the top R67 and Q4's source. The other end of that resistor will go to the current sense input or ancillary components by the PWM IC. Make sure those parts are OK, as the top of R67 will be at B+ when the FET shorts and R67 opens.

-Paul
                          That went over my head except for the resistor, as you can tell I'm very inexperience when it comes to electronics like this. But if I understand you correctly... There is a resistor at R67 *orange white silver gold green bands* indicating as you said. Testing this I get 0.10 on the 200ohms setting of my DMM. One end grounds out at the main filter cap, the other goes to well I don't know, it goes to many things but the trace does terminate at Q4 or B4 *see below.*

I've included close up of the area in question, the ones circle in red are R67 solder joints.

Also there is this black thing on the third leg of Q4, the print next to it says B4*picture below what is that?

Btw got a new camera.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-17-2011, 04:11 AM.

Comment

pin 1-3 = 01.0
                            1-3 suggests a shorted component. Remove and retest. If it still shows the same reading, you will have to replace it.
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If reading across both anodes of a dual rectifier, and it's still in-circuit, you could be reading the DC resistance of the secondary. Pull it and retest if in doubt.

Looks good for R67. Remove one end of it and test again- you may or may not get a different reading. At this point, all you want to know is that it's not open. Depending on your meter, it may not be able to resolve values less than an ohm accurately.

You have rectified line voltage across the big cap?

-Paul
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by kaboom; 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM.
                              "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                              Originally posted by shango066
                              All style and no substance.
                              Originally posted by smashstuff30
                              guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                              guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Sorry guys, been busy doing double shifts at work and working on my car. Just haven't had the time to work on the board. Gonna try this weekend.

Comment

I've removed and retest the resistor and it checks out fine, and then removed the transistor and I get no continuity on any pin.
                                  So whats next?
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by Mad_Professor; 03-20-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I've removed and retest the resistor and it checks out fine, and then removed the transistor and I get no continuity on any pin.
                                    So whats next?
                                    I was reading another thread that plainbill was participating in and they were talking about zener diodes being shorted out. From that I decided to check my board again and I have on the back side, ZD3 and ZD1, I assume these stand for zener? I test each one on the 200 setting of my DMM and I get 0.10 *closed?* on each, and this is with the transistor removed. Yet I test ZD4 and ZDS3 with the same band markings and get no reading *meaning open?* Then I tested D11 and get 90 ohms. I also remember messing around with my DMM few weeks back with the Q4 Transistor in and after the incident and it read the same. I'm wondering if I fried these zeners and if the Q4 Transistor is ok?

Band marking is
                                    1.red
                                    2. brown or orange *hard to tell
                                    3. light green or green if there is no such color.

Comment

I was reading another thread that plainbill was participating in and they were talking about zener diodes being shorted out. From that I decided to check my board again and I have on the back side, ZD3 and ZD1, I assume these stand for zener? I test each one on the 200 setting of my DMM and I get 0.10 *closed?* on each, and this is with the transistor removed. Yet I test ZD4 and ZDS3 with the same band markings and get no reading *meaning open?* Then I tested D11 and get 90 ohms. I also remember messing around with my DMM few weeks back with the Q4 Transistor in and after the incident and it read the same. I'm wondering if I fried these zeners and if the Q4 Transistor is ok?

Band marking is
                                      1.red
                                      2. brown or orange *hard to tell
                                      3. light green or green if there is no such color.
                                      Correction: Got a magnifying glass and found out ZDS3 has different band colors. I also tried again on 2k settings and tested ZD4 again which has matching band color of ZD1/ZD3 and I get 0.38, I test ZD1/ZD3 again and get 0.0.

Comment

Correction: Got a magnifying glass and found out ZDS3 has different band colors. I also tried again on 2k settings and tested ZD4 again which has matching band color of ZD1/ZD3 and I get 0.38, I test ZD1/ZD3 again and get 0.0.
                                        That certainly sounds like ZD1/ZD3 are shorted. The reading you got on ZD4 (380 ohms) is reasonable.

PlainBill
                                        For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
                                        X