This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

New to this site. Looking around for interesting posts.

Comment

Hey guys, this will be my second time using this site, so I decided to join. I would like to start my intro as I know nothing. But with proper research and patience, I can fix my home electronics. Sadly I lack a good multimeter, but I have not really needed it yet.

My first soldering experience was about 5 years ago (other than HS shop class) I replaced the ICs in my Phillips 60 RPTV. I just replaced them again 10 months ago. TV still works great but it was a huge mammoth in the living room.

Next I found my car stereo was blowing a fuse in my car. specifically the one responsible for clock memory, and radio power. I diagnosed it as the radio that was blowing the fuse. So I took it apart and found a bad capacitor had popped its top and brown electrolyte was leaking.

Using this site I was able to understand about capacitors and successfully repaired my radio in my car.

Which brings us to today. I got a free Olevia (542-B11) TV that shuts down after a few hours of being on. maybe half hour later or the next day it will start up fine and work then eventually shut off. I took the TV apart and paid more attention to the power supply part of the board. There are 3 caps that I am questioning. 3 have the top popped and one has a tiny spec of brown at the top of the cap. There are 6 in total. Should I replace them all? and with top popped, is that a clear sign of being defective?

Thanks,
      Mac

Comment

Hello everyone, total noon here just needed some information on how to fix different televisions and identifying what is wrong with them precisely. Trash pickin flat screens and turning it into serious profit is getting challenging but it's so fun!
        - Mike
        one mans is another ones treasure

Comment

Noob*
          one mans is another ones treasure

Comment

hello im from mexico i really do like to repair electronic devices. im 42 years old, like to play chess, i was thinking about my first computer. I think was a 8088 turbo at 10mhz 640kb ram that was awesome
            P: sorry im not too good in english but i will try to do my best.

Comment

AMD Octocore 5Ghz @ 60c :p
              8GB
              Windows 7

Mostly just wasting my life.

A bit like the line from Rebel without a Cause. "You got to do something." So I seem to...

What others think is alot of money. I already spent it on a whole lot of pointless things like high end PC's, Xeons, Pentium Pro's, so far spent nothing on having a life. Never intend to. My dream of winning the euro millions. Is I can carry on regardless. Spend it all on Silicon Graphics workstations. Nobody knows how much I spend. Go shopping. Have a cup of tea. Make it a cheap one. whatever gets rid of my fortune fastest so I can wonder around in cheap clothes looking stupid while everyone else acts like they're all that but hasn't spend a few billion dollars on pointless computer parts. Like I would any day. Until I can work myself out maybe one day.

Try to stay upbeat sometimes. Apologies for my lucid existentialism, I prefer to stay outside the loop, outside the reality, see things from a distance, than be too predictable that people would say you had a life, when people say I dont have a life, reply why thankyou in my head, knowing what it means to me! and work out what the outcomes could be.... not just the outcomes of the messes I make by attempts at interaction.... but probably mostly....

Comment

Hello!
                I'm a beginner

Comment

Good day all, I'm new to this site but have run across it a few times.

Just a minor electrical background usually installing and trouble shooting HVAC and RO equipment. Recently started playing with TVs. So thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
                  Josh

Comment

Hi everybody,

I'm a French user, just new here, and I'm going here to find some informations and helps ...
                    I have some little background in electronic, but very little.
                    Any help you provide me will be very appreciate.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi everibody

I am a beginner in electronics and I found this forum very interesting.

Regards,
                      Marko

Comment

Hi,

My name is Nadir and I came across this site after my Samsung Plasma TV went on the Fritz.

Look forward to getting assistance on diagnosing and repairing it.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello,
                          Joined the forum while searching how to fix my Plasma. Plasma not fixed yet, but I've found some useful information here for sure.
                          Nice to find a place with so many helpful people.

Comment

Hello,

I am a beginner in electronics, and like to learn from others, so I found this forum interesting. Have an issue with a capacitor that broke in one of my old film projectors, so will post about this for DIY repairs.

Regards,
                            Hans

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                              As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                              So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                              where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                              Hello My name is Al and I have Been working on computers since 2000 and TV since June 2014 and Now I own Jim Myers TV/PC Repair in Temple TX. I have been fixing more TV's than computers. Moved from avenue M to 4804 S 5th st Temple

Comment

Love this website!
                                Want to thank JohnBoy1313 for his "Cheap Fix" for the Sylvania LC370SS8.
                                Just found it by a dumpster in perfect condition.
                                It's amazing what people will throw away!

This'll make a great monitor!
                                If You Can't Convince Them..... Confuse Them.

Comment

Built my first computer when I was 8 or so, a 64k somthingmajigger if I remember... First "real" job at 18 was a service rep for Lanier Worldwide, Copier/Voice/data service tech. Stated an ISP and web development company back in 92, found my niche in Design, quit tinkering with wires/boards/ and code years ago. Broke a cap off my motherboard, remembered I know how to do this stuff, and so I'm here!

Cheers

Comment

Have a BSEE and MSEE. Hopefully I can be helpful. Joined to troubleshoot a TV (Samsung PN51D550).

Comment

Hi I'm new to this forum! looking for help troubleshooting my panasonic plasma. Nice to meet you all!

Comment

Hello.
                                        I'm new on this forum.
                                        Please to read you

Comment

Hi All,

What a fantastic source of information! I have visited this site numerous times and found a font of valuable help and hints:-).

Thanks for hosting and sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X