This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi my name Chakan, and I'm from Argentina, I have 29 years old and I don't have knowledge of electronics, but rather'm in real estate.
    Anyway, I checked to learn how to fix boards for maintaining computers I own in my home and office. I have no expertise in electronics but I made welds sometimes to assemble some audio cable or repair any appliance. I also did some welding to fix my guitar electronics (I play an electric guitar) and I find myself in need of better knowledge.
    I like repair almost everything and I hate throwing things and so I am now with the intention of fixing a video card with a bloated capacitors, it doesn't seems very complicated but from what little I've read on this forum, which has Factory are very bad, so I would have to change about five capacitors. I've been reading the FAQ Recapping and I'm going to practice before doing this replacement.
    I hope to learn a lot, thanks for the welcome.

Comment

I'm a newbie here too. I have some issue with my Samsung tv so i hope to be able to find a way to fix it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
        As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
        So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
        where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
        Hi, My name is Dane and I am from Trinidad. I worked with several companies as an electronics technician in the past. I have been out of the field for some time. I am presently seeking information on repairing t-con card that is built into the screen (kdl50r550a).

Comment

Greetings to all and sundry! I am located in Huntington, WV. I like to void warranties and generally make things that run off of magic smoke lose the magic smoke. I have found your wonderful forum in my quest to tame a Samsung LN40C530F1F.

Comment

Hello all, from sunny South Florida! Stumbled on this site while researching lead acid battery charging information. Glad to have found such an active community.

Thanks,

Chris

============
            Delray Beach, FL

Comment

Hello, everyone.

Allow me to post this obligatory message fishing for welcomes and well-wishes. While I'm here, a brief bit about me:

I was an electronics hobbyist starting around 1985 and, whenever I could afford to do so, I'd purchase components from any outlet that would sell them to me. I became a frequent customer of Mouser and MCM Electronics through their mail-order services.

I later entered the military as a calibration technician, which required component-level troubleshooting on all but the highest-end equipment. The high-end stuff required what derisively called "board swapping", but board-swapping became a preferred method for some of us (me included) who were quite tired of seeing the same old low-quality field-battered oscilloscopes and signal generators come trundling in the front door. One day while adjusting the klystron tube in a microwave signal generator (by rotating the tube in its socket and changing its freq response curve), I neglected to kill the power to the generator first and availed myself to the tube's +1500 V anode. After that, I was a little gun shy about voltages above, say, 250 V.

After leaving the army, continued my education (mostly auto-didactically) and eventually got a position as an instructor in a technical college. Being a tinkerer and life-long research addict, I encouraged [safe] experimentation during lab time. Knowing, for example, that caps and transformers are easy prey to hapless lab students, I made certain to purchase extra so that they could experience the pop, sizzle, smoke, and smell of failed components. (I believed this would lead to better sense of attention and detail, and also troubleshooting because some troubleshooting can be accomplished quickly through the sense of smell.) I never lost that gun shyness, though.

After leaving the teaching gig, I moved to component level TV/VCR repair, which is where the high voltage aversion returned to haunt me. I became unsteady when measuring flyback voltages or testing high-voltage transistors. Needless to say, that did not last long. That was 15 years ago.

Since then, I've moved into writing and networking and am now a technical publications manager. I still get to tinker, but it's mostly with high-end enterprise wireless networking devices and products.

So why am I here?

Two reasons:

1. Nostalgia
              2. My teevee broke

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                my name is Billy, I'm from the UK, 50yrs old and I'm a self employed computer engineer. For years now I've received laptops with bad GPU's and I've seen on YouTube about reflowing in the oven.....Baaaaad I hear you say Well! I have reflowed about 15 now but all fail in the end soooo, I took the big leap of faith and went and bought myself a Honton HT-R392 so here I am, looking for knowledge, and you guy's have it I have no experience in soldering, I didn't even know what tinning was up until 3 months ago but I'm getting it. I'm messing about on PCB's I've got as scrap and have re-balled a few GPU's with success. I know I have got a lot to learn and a lot of studying ahead of me, especially when it comes to setting up profiles. Anyway....that's me. being honest. letting you know, I'm a virgin..... when it comes to BGA reworks.

Comment

Just started to repair a Samsung 245BW but I am having a heck of a time getting the bezel separated. I don't see any hidden fasteners and it is extremely stiff when I try to pry it apart.

I searched but all the 245BW threads show it already taken apart.

Thanks

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm from Portugal, I work in IT but I like electronics.
                    My hobby is make some projects with arduino, and repair some equipments, I've already repairs a couple of TVs and monitors with bad capacitors, I'm wondering if I learn how to troubleshoot a problem, instead of just replacing components.

Today I'll ask you for help to repair my LG 32lh3000, with a sound problem, the sound starts vibrate and make a lot of noise after some time, like 30 minutes. especially if the sound is low, like less than 10. any idea of what can it be?

Thank in advance!

Comment

Hi.

My name is Saymon Grauppe and I'm from Brazil..
                      BD 20 March 1982
                      Eletronics Technician and Mechanics Technician, now trying to graduate on Eletronic Engineering.

I'm a guy who tries to fix everything and I'm paid for it. (Have a business).

I have 2 notebooks from HP, one HP 4520s that has a problem with the video card, it looks like the beginning of the MATRIX movie, the image is not stable. I think I have installed the wrong drive after I formatted and reinstalled the OS Win7...
                      The other had a problem with the Power adapter, the cord was cutted and has bad contact to send the correct power to the notebook, than was like a cancer, with the time (2 months) it dies....
                      Now I'm trying to put it all into good shape, than I need some help to do it!

Thanks in advance and lets go to work!

Comment

Hi, I'm Jay from PA, USA. I was an electrical engineer in the military, now i just tinker with my soldering iron and multi-meter.

I'm here as i'm troubleshooting a black screen hanns g 28" HH281 monitor. I have 5, this one failed, and I want it back. I see plenty for HG281 and similar but nothing for this one yet.

I won't muck up this thread with my issues, but it's what I'm here for.

Comment

Hi,

Best regards,
                          See you in a post!
                          Last edited by Planned obsolescence; 04-24-2015, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I'm new here! The reason I'm here, is because a won share information about the electronics repairing and electrical things. I'm a qualified audio, power electronics technician and in few months a complete a course has an electrician.

In the world we leave today capitalism makes electronics shipper and shipper, because multinational companies won us to work like animal to consume their fucking shit they made by children, or poor people who have no choice because they won live or by people who dream to become evil like them.

So I decide to contribute to this forum to help people and be helped to make a big finger to the cheapness industrial world we live!

Best regards,
                            See you in a post!

Comment

Hi, everyone seems to tell their first computer. I was given an old DOS computer and needed to upgrade it to use Windows 3.0 so it would take a mouse. With no knowledge of computers, my programmer brother talked me through replacing the motherboard, etc. (from 3000 miles away). After many months I somehow got it to work. I have since taken classes on hardware and software programming, but mostly learn as I go. I have started repairing TV's and have learned to solder capacitors. I have read threads on this forum and learned a lot and hope to learn a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                My name is CrusaderKing and is here to read post gather advice and in turn return my advice

Comment

Thanks for letting me in. Just your average joe here that will have an ocassional question.

Comment

Hi, my name is Silka, I am an easy going guy, but a knowledge seeker. I wish to know all I can in computer software and hardware repair. Presently I run a repair shop on computers in order to be beneficial to me and my entire society. I wish to learn more and also put in my own knowledge in the forum. Thanks

Comment

I guess I should introduce myself also. I am 42, Greek. My first computer was a sinclair spectrum...Epic times hearing the modem noise and the vertical line on TV, when loading...

Comment

hi to all

I found thi site when searching some infos for plasma tv repair.

i'm amine from algeria, i have some knowledge about computers but i'm real newbie with all elctronic things and i think it's the best place to improve my knowledge.

Comment

Hi everyone!

Name is Chen, and I am an IT Professional From Israel, 24 yo.

Basically signed in to try and get some help identifying a bad motherboard capacitor but I've been doing this component based repaires for a while now, as a hobbyist of course, so nice to have found a forum like this..

I have a very basic knowledge of electronics from messing aroud with electric guitars and their effect pedals, plus some knowledge from messing around with computer hardware, but professionally limited to software.

Guess that's it, I'll try to post my first thread now.. wish me luck

Thanks for listening,
                                          Chen.

Comment

Working...
                                          X