Freebie calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freebie calculator

Well I haven't posted a fix in a while so here you go. I know this probably won't turn out as an epic thread since most people don't bother fixing the free calculators that they get at trade shows... but I guess I am weird like that.

The problem was that this little calculator was not working right. It would turn on but when you pressed the '9' key it would go off. I thought maybe it was the battery since it is several years old now. But when I got it apart the battery voltage tested good. So there is not much more to do for this guy since it is basically all chip on board (COB). But there was one .1uf capacitor sitting there so I thought what the heck, I'll unsolder it. I did and the calculator now wouldn't turn on. I tested the cap on my meter and the value was fluctuating, it never stabilized. So maybe I have found the problem. I dug up a new .1uf cap and it metered out a stable value. I soldered it in and now my little calculator is fixed! It can do five nines of uptime without so much as a whimper. Even though I lifted the traces for the capacitor in the process, a little hot glue secured everything nicely.

So there you have it, another item saved. And even though I have been trained that non 'lytics don't usually fail, I am going to guess that the ones that they put in free giveaway calculators are about the absolute cheapest ones available and thus likely to go bad.
    Attached Files

Re: Freebie calculator

Originally posted by bluto View Post
    I know this probably won't turn out as an epic thread since most people don't bother fixing the free calculators that they get at trade shows... but I guess I am weird like that.
    Some folks at eevblog are calculator fans. Maybe post over there?

Good job on the repair and documenting the process. I have a few < $5 broken multimeters that I'm trying to fix more as a learning process.
    Last edited by retiredcaps; 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Freebie calculator

Nice work!

It may only be a cheap calculator, but with repairs like this, item cost is not what is important. Rather it's what you learned from the repair.

I guess this goes to show that people here on badcaps.net can fix anything .

Comment

Working...
      X