LG 50pa5500 turns on, no picture no sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 50pa5500 turns on, no picture no sound

Hi, I've got this LG 50pa5500 TV for free because it is broken. It does turn on, a power supply seems to work fine. I think I narrowed the problem down to Y-buffers.
    I tested VSC, VY, VZB voltages which were reading about 40, 4, and 50 volts. Then I disconnected and unplugged the top Y-buffer, and got a faint light on the bottom half of the screen, which was unevenly striped. I tested VSC, VY, VZB voltages which became much higher and stable (didn't write it down, but something around 150, 50 and -140 volts). Tested the top Y-buffer for shorts with a multimeter , and sure enough it had one shorted IC.
    I left the TV off for about 30 minutes to look at the cost of replacements, and when I came back the TV no longer showed anything on the bottom half when turned on . Voltages went back to low. I unplugged the bottom Y-buffer and tested it for shorts - and found another shorted IC - which is probably why it showed stripes when it briefly worked?
    My theory is that Y-sustain damaged both buffers. And since Z-sustain passes power to Y-sustain, could the Z-sustain also be the culprit?
    It seems that I could get both buffers for 40$, so it's OK, but if they will get burned out immediately by Y or Z sustain - then I would like to avoid it.
    Can I somehow test if either Y or Z sustain burn stuff?

Re: LG 50pa5500 turns on, no picture no sound

You could replace the buffers and when you do that leave the very top y ribbon cable disconnected from the buffer boards. Lines are most likely from a shorted IC ready to go on the lower buffer anyway. I should know that this model has a history of problems with the very top Y ribbon cable Rubbing the plastic frame around the TV so you might want to inspect that y ribbon very carefully.
    Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Do you have this buffer board ? Look what shopjimmy has to say about it...
      Attached Files

Comment

You will indeed want to replace the Y-sustain as well as both buffers. The reason they say that is because on this model, the damage travels to the other boards.
        Most definitely replace all boards.

Comment

Thank you for your replies!
          Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
          ... you might want to inspect that y ribbon very carefully.
          I checked and none of the ribbon cables rub the plastic part, all of them are completely fine.
          Originally posted by mmartell View Post
          Do you have this buffer board ? Look what shopjimmy has to say about it...
          Mine is very similar - only one digit is different. So I will replace all 3 of them then.
          Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
          Most definitely replace all boards.
          By all boards you mean Y-sustain and Y-buffers, right? Nothing to do with the Z stuff?
          Last edited by Vlives; 01-18-2018, 03:15 AM. Reason: Fixed a mistake

Comment

Yes that's correct.

Comment

Working...
            X