Vizio E70u-D3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio E70u-D3

Ahhhh...I see you have a lovely little helper there...a young budding engineer perhaps...

Comment

Yea.. She's gonna take over when I am to sore or blind to continue..

Comment

Originally posted by Michale32086 View Post
        Yea.. She's gonna take over when I am to sore or blind to continue..

Comment

Think I would choose the first one, seems like it's the procedure with less stress on the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            Think I would choose the first one, seems like it's the procedure with less stress on the panel.
            Or whichever puts less stress on panel.

Comment

Yea, I think yer right.. I think it best to keep the panel where it is and gently move the assembled onto the screen...

Helper couldn't get over here yesterday so we're shooting for today..

Comment

I am so frakin' depressed!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Don't beat yourself up too much......Shit happens....

Comment

Thanx Andrew..

Now that I have gone thru the mourning period, things aren't TOTALLY shot..

As you can see by the pic, the main area of the TV is still there and is viable..

I am wondering if the small strips of scrambled-ness (marked in red on the pic) are the results of misaligned bond connectors rather than caused by the actual break (marked in green)...

Is it possible the small crack would affect the opposite side of the panel??

If I can fix those two scrambled areas marked in red, I would still have a viable TV that I can use at home... Instead of a 70", it would be a 67"
                    Attached Files

Comment

Final dispo on this..

As I mentioned, I was going to try to fix the bands that did not appear to be associated with the crack and then cover up the crack band and just use the TV...

I had the "brilliant" idea to get some strong tape and put it across the small crack in hopes of preventing the crack from expanding..

The theory was sound.. But I should have did it BEFORE I took it off the wall.. Cracked zipped all the way across to the other side...

Oh well, live and learn.. Hopefully..

Thanx again to all the replies..

Comment

Hi,
                        I've got this exact problem with the same TV and about to go through a replacement of the LEDs. How did you crack the screen? I'm hoping to learn from you and avoid doing the same!

Thanks in advance
                        Dave

Comment

Get yerself a set of these:

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-c...ter-46134.html

I use the dual suction ones for the big screens (60"+) and the single suction ones (off to the right side of the page) for your smaller screens..

They are a god send....

You'll want to be careful when applying suction. Be gentle and slow about it.. I have heard you can crack the screen by applying too much suction too fast.. I haven't done it yet, but it makes sense..

Make sure you have a large work area to allow you to place the screen on a flat area (I use a moving blanket to provide padding) and have another area to be able to work on the TV itself... A quiet area free from interruptions..

Best suggestion I can make is to allot enough time to finish it in one sitting.. Leaving an exposed panel out from the TV overnight invites catastrophe... If you take your time and go slow, allow for about 2-3 hours, assuming you have the correct LED strips already on hand and ready to install.. It's definitely a job you do not want to rush or a have multiple disturbances..

Good luck.. Breaking down a large TV down to the bare LEDs, changing an LED strip and successfully putting it all back together and working perfectly is one of the most rewarding aspects of TV repair..

Comment

Thanks. I bought those exact cups from HF! I was planning on lifting the screen from the TV and reversing that on reassembly. I've replaced backlights on a few TVs but nothing bigger than 50". When you cracked the screen did you place the metal back down onto the panel? (and, sorry if I'm bringing back stuff you'd rather forget!)

Comment

hehehe Yea, no biggie..

If it saves the life of ONE screen..

IN this particular case, I did not have those suction devices... I had laid the TV flat with the panel facing down and then proceeded to remove the metal back panel. I left the diffusers and the panel intact on the table..

When I had finished swapping out the LED strips (still amazes me to this day that they were bona fide PURPLE.. ) I found it was impossible to line up everything and put the metal back panel back on the display panel assembly..

So, I set the back metal panel face up, pulled the diffusers one by one and placed them on the metal back panel.. But to place the display panel on, I had to flip it over.. I asked my wife to help me and I think she gripped one of the sides too tight.. I didn't have the heart to tell her cuz I knew she would be really upset about it so I just told her it was my side that had the crack...

Long story short (too late ) I would never have gone that route had I had those suction thingies...

As I said at the time.. Live and learn...

Comment

Ugh I feel your pain. Thanks for your advice and I hope to be successful. Will post back one way or another.

Comment

Sounds good..

Comment

Well, I very carefully replaced the bad backlights and put everything back together without a hitch. Felt very good about it, except when I powered the TV back up it doesn't work! The backlight comes on but the screen only flickers - there's no Vizio logo or anything on the screen and no sound. It also appears to reboot itself every minute or so. Bummer. I can't think what I did and there's no visible cable loose or anything. Not sure what to do next.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfinger View Post
                                      Well, I very carefully replaced the bad backlights and put everything back together without a hitch. Felt very good about it, except when I powered the TV back up it doesn't work! The backlight comes on but the screen only flickers - there's no Vizio logo or anything on the screen and no sound. It also appears to reboot itself every minute or so. Bummer. I can't think what I did and there's no visible cable loose or anything. Not sure what to do next.
                                      Can you confirm you have a latent image/vizio logo before you did the backlight fix???

Re-seating all the cables and connections may help...

Otherwise I would suspect a bad Main Video or bad TCON...

Comment

Yes, the TV worked fine just super blue tint, prior to my fix.

I've disconnected and reseated all the cables. No change.

I will order new main and TCON boards. Might as well. I feel dumb but confused as to how I could have killed a board. Perhaps static shock?

Comment

I wouldn't have thought so, but there is no telling..

If you can, order the TCON first..

Also, did you make sure that the connections one the large "cellophane" connectors between the TCON and the tab bond boards are right?? They are easy to mis-align which would produce the symptoms you describe...

Comment

Working...
                                          X