Java killing my laptop ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java killing my laptop ?!

Good day folks. I have a rather strange yet annoying issue with my laptop lately. Ok, so it's getting pretty old now, at approximately 10 years old, it's definitely old tech, but I'm not actually trying to find a FIX to this issue but rather discuss it and see what others think about it, especially those into programming and development, since it may be closer to that field than that of hardware troubleshooting.

The problem is as follows: the laptop shuts down when watching Youtube videos...sounds boring, generic and hard to troubleshoot and many will probably point me towards thermal issues and how I should clean the heatsink and replace the thermal paste and whatnot, but we don't need to go over the basics, since I already did that, plus I work in the field myself and I know the "basics"

In this case I don't think it's related solely to heat, because if I go to play a flash game (Club Penguin, whatever...) or do other CPU intensive tasks (hell, even benchmark it) the fan runs at max speed all the time (naturally) but the laptop works perfectly fine even under all that load. In the case of Youtube the same thing happens, except shortly after the fan has gone up to its maximum speed, if I don't pause the video, the laptop is sure to shut down....and it's extremely annoying, but there was nothing I could do about it rather than consider it failing aged hardware and struggling like this....until today when it clicked that it may not be just that: see my old man got a new laptop today and he asked me to install Windows on it, so I have this "media creation tool" which creates a bootable USB drive with Win 10 for you and I tried running that on my laptop and just after it's downloaded the thing and was "burning" it to the drive, BAM ! the laptop suddenly shuts down exactly as in the case of Youtube and that's when I thought perhaps it's caused by....Java ? Could that tool be Java and share the same issue as YT ? Is YT even running Java to begin with ? If not, whatever platform these two have in common SEEM to cause this. It's interesting to note that only YT does this: if I watch videos on Dailymotion or some other site, I can watch a 5 hour marathon and it doesn't turn off one bit. Same hold true for watching local media from DVDs or vids I downloaded: the fan runs high but the laptop remains perfectly functional. 8 hours on Club Penguin ? No problem: laptop sounds like it's about to take off, indeed, but remains fully operational, not lagging one bit...

I can't really do any temperature monitoring since the thing shuts down so quickly you can't determine it, plus the temperature is the same when it shuts down as when it's running at full load but not shutting down, so it could be a software issue entirely...is this even remotely possible ? Am I that good of a detective piecing all this information together ? It occurred to me that I should try uninstalling java, but then I thought it's silly and should discuss first...
    Wattevah...

Re: Java killing my laptop ?!

many programs in Windows are based on Java. If you uninstall Java, those programs won't work.
    Java is provided in two software packages: JRE and JDK.
    Instead of uninstalling, I recommend installing a newer version of JRE. So find the newest version of JRE that suits your Windows version. then, install it.

for example, download from the following link:
    mirror.thekeelecentre.com/pub/java/
    Last edited by caspian; 09-15-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Java has nothing to do with YouTube or the Media Creation Tool. If you don't have any application that's explicitly using Java, just uninstall it, but chances are it doesn't have anything to do with the issue either.
      Shutting down doesn't really look like a software issue. A software issue would cause reboot instead.
      Hard shutdow under load can be caused by a defective battery or a defective AC power brick. And, as you figured out, overheating (CPU or GPU or even something else depending on the platform). Sometimes it can also be a motherboard issue : weak CPU VRM, thermal expansion killing a connection, bad IC (a BGA chip, a voltage regulator or the EC for example)…
      If you want to rule out software issue still, the easiest is to try with another clean installation (on another hard drive for example).
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

piernov is right. I do not know why Dannyx suspected Java. Instead I suspect RAM. Or, check whether any IC gets hot on the mainboard.

Comment

I only suspected software issues today after the behavior occurred in something else other than YT, since up until now I too was 100% positive something's failing, since there's no way software can cause it. Still, I can't quite pinpoint the cause, since the same heat should be there even when the laptop is NOT shutting down, like I said. If it HAD shut down under other heavy load conditions as well, not just YT (and now this tool) I would've instantly and definitively attributed it to a hardware failure, no question about it, but the fact that it's happily "boiling away" in just about every app other than youtube (in mozilla, which is another thing I'm going to test - different browser) makes me very confused....

Bad RAM: will test that too, since the usage is pretty high at 2,86GB out of 4...not sure whether it's related, but a Memtest shouldn't hurt. I don't have other sticks on hand right now, since obviously the ideal test would've been a real-world test with different sticks, but Memtest will have to do until I can scrounge up different sticks....
          Last edited by Dannyx; 09-15-2018, 02:04 PM.
          Wattevah...

Comment

Are you running a 32 or 64 bit OS .Maybe its a bad sector on the hard drive, in the pagefile.sys . Run a chkdsk .
            All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

It's 64 bit and it's an SSD...yeah, many details and variables missing here. I WAS going to replace that SSD anyway with a faster one, since it's getting pretty old now, but I didn't get around to it...

Replicating the exact conditions on a fresh install would be possible: get a regular HDD, replace the SSD with it, install firefox and let it run on YT...not all vids do this - yet another variable. So goddamn frustrating....
              Wattevah...

Comment

unfortunately, we have to spend a lot of time and work on a small problem sometimes when repairing a laptop. It is normal to me. installing a new OS is one of them that we have to do.
                Of course, you can use a live CD instead. but it does not provide the same situation as an installed OS.
                Last edited by caspian; 09-15-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caspian View Post
                  unfortunately, we have to spend a lot of time and work on a small problem sometimes when repairing a laptop.
                  Oh, no question about it: YES !
                  Wattevah...

Comment

check the video side of things

Comment

the YT player is java,
                      but shutdowns point to something hardware.
                      bad ram or related hardware is no1 suspect.

Comment

The YouTube player is not Java. It was Flash based a few years ago and now it's HTML5.
                        Also bad RAM usually causes no POST, hard lockup, blue screens or random reboots but not shutdown. Cannot be excluded before trying other sticks though.

Comment

Yeah, sure enough I did a memtest today several times and no errors were found...
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Looks like a heatsink problem or PSU problem. And Athlon II-based Compaq CQ61s from 2009 seem prone to this kind of shit, can't even complete factory reinstallation of Windows without a shutdown or strangely a BSOD, even when not overclocking the CPU! The symptoms occurred, until I got a fan under the laptop and that was shortly before it failed, with there apparently being a blink code for CPU failure.

That was in late April, 2013, IIRC and probably the same one was brought back to me in November, 2014, IIRC. In November, 2014, IIRC, it had the blink-of-doom, apparently for a CPU failure report.
                            Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 09-16-2018, 11:28 AM.
                            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Mine's an Asus X50GL (f50GL in some cases), since I forgot about that as well, just for the sake of being complete in my information. The CPU is an Intel T9600 and the graphics chip is an Nvidia 8200M. I upgraded the CPU twice in its lifespan, so it could be the TDP is greater than what the stock heatsink in it is meant to handle.....another thing that just crossed my mind, since I can't quite recall this happening with the original or even the second processor.
                              Wattevah...

Comment

@Dannyx if you have any doubts about overheating you should really check the temperatures with different software, sometimes one can report improper values. The TDP figures won't help much as this is just a "reference", the actual power dissipated by the CPU can vary quite a lot. The heatsink should be sufficient though, make sure it's dust free and the thermal paste is fresh.

@RJARRRPCGP the northbridge is prone to failure in this case. RS880M probably, 216-0752001.

Comment

Try using a lower processor then T9600. Yours is 6M cache with 1066 bus-I'll suggest to try something on 800 bus instead with not more than 4m cache.

Comment

Working...
                                  X