Vocal range sounds like crap when adding too much bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vocal range sounds like crap when adding too much bass

I've observed that on many dirt-cheap speaker systems and promptly found this, but don't know why that happens.

Re: Vocal range sounds like crap when adding too much bass

Either because the low-powered amps in these things are driven into clipping when you turn up the bass, which not only results in distortion, but also makes the bass modulate the rest of the frequency range (giving a rough sound and a "warble" effect to the vocals), or the speakers don't have enough linear travel and are forced to move too much, which gives the same effect, only not that pronounced.

Either way, an oscilloscope will tell you what happens. Using one of those programs which allow you to turn your PC soundcard into an oscilloscope will work too. Visual Analyzer is my favorite.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Re: Vocal range sounds like crap when adding too much bass

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      Using one of those programs which allow you to turn your PC soundcard into an oscilloscope will work too. Visual Analyzer is my favorite.
      Nice! Seriously, thanks for the info . I've been looking for something like that for a while now.

The headphone amp I built seems to be doing a similar thing with the mid tones being distorted when there is too much bass and the volume is very high. I think it may be my headphones though - I'm probably pushing them too far .
      Last edited by momaka; 06-25-2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X