Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IMAC 24 PSU Bad Caps replacement

Thanks for replying!

So do you believe the caps look bad? I know you cant always tell by looking but im not real experienced when it comes to these. It appears that this is the information on the caps (below). my measurements appear to be different than TBI's (above) but the board numbers match what he had so I could be off a little. Please let me know if you need any more additional information. I would appreciate if someone could suggest the replacements that would be best.

680UF 16v LXY 10mm x 14mm
    1000UF 16v LXY 10mm x 17mm
    1500UF 16v LXY 13mm x 17mm

Comment

Update:

I just wanted to update this as I have made the repair. Thanks to Sam Sam for his reply and a somewhat confusing scour of Digi-key's website I was able to purchase these items for the previously mentioned board.

(2) P12368-ND CAP ALUM 1500UF 16V
      (2) P14398-ND CAP ALUM 1000UF 16V
      (1) P14396-ND CAP ALUM 680UF 16V

I was hoping to get more direction here as to which model numbers would be the best, or recommendation of items from badcaps to order. I didn't, so I just made a selection after a lot of reading. As I stated previously my experience with brand preference and series understanding is limited.

The IMac is now functioning however and am thankful for the one response I did get. The other information in this forum was helpful in this process! I hope that this could help someone else out there in a similar situation.

Thanks,

Bottleneck

Comment

FM & FR are just fine in this application. But I only see 5 out of 7 that could(should) be replaced...?

T
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Thanks for adding that,I appreciate all the helpful information on this forum! What would be the best replacement for the remaining 3?

They are:

22uf 50v LZG
          220uf 35v LZG
          1000uf 35v LZG

Would you use a different series than fm or fr?

Comment

Originally posted by bottleneck View Post
            They are:

22uf 50v LZG
            220uf 35v LZG
            1000uf 35v LZG

Would you use a different series than fm or fr?
            I will use FR FC FM and some time these two KY KME

P15374CT-ND = 22uf 50v

P10297-ND = 220uf 35v
            Size / Dimension 0.394" Dia (10.00mm)
            Height - Seated (Max)
            0.492" (12.50mm)

OR

P10296-ND = 220uf 35v
            Size / Dimension
            0.315" Dia (8.00mm)
            Height - Seated (Max)
            0.591" (15.00mm)

P15382CT-ND = 1000uf 35v
            Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-03-2012, 08:50 PM.
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply
            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I appreciate all of your help! I have run into another issue.

The power supply worked for a short time and then quit. I have replaced the other 3 caps as Toasty suggested and it resulted in it working again. I could hear a high pitch noise coming from a section of the psu while it was plugged in but turned off. It worked for a couple of days and then dead.

It keeps killing the 22uf 50v cap.

Any ideas??

Thank you!!

Comment

How do you mean "killing" it?

T
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Are you installing it correctly, polarity-wise?

veritas odium parit

Comment

So, all the caps are replaced?

It seems like the whine is coming from oscillations in the PSU circuit, which could be causing too high a voltage on that capacitor. I think the IMAC PSU's are VERY picky about the ESR of the secondary capacitors :S
                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                      So, all the caps are replaced?

It seems like the whine is coming from oscillations in the PSU circuit, which could be causing too high a voltage on that capacitor. I think the IMAC PSU's are VERY picky about the ESR of the secondary capacitors :S
                      Anyone has the squematic diagram for this PSU?
                      Thanks ind advance.

Comment

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you guys and appreciate your feedback!

I have installed the caps correctly polarity wise. I am limited in understanding the theory behind cap series differences and ESR levels. I have an interest in this level of troubleshooting and read as much as time allows.

I replaced the 22uf 50v cap with the recommended P15374CT-ND panasonic it lasted about 2days then the computer wouldn't startup.

I checked the cap with a volt meter(I know its not accurate) its all i have now. I switched legs of the meter back and forth on the legs of the cap to see if it would charge and discharge. It showed no response...I would like to get a blue esr meter or any other recommended devices? I just don't have the money right now.

I then ordered 565-3341-1-ND KMG(I should have came back here with the results first). Then it worked for about a day (could hear the noise coming from the power supply when in standby. now it wont power on again. suspect the same cap not working, as it is completely quiet(dead) imac diag lights show no power from psu. Same results as before!

Any ideas?

please let me know if you would like me to clarify anything more!

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Francisco.s View Post
                          Anyone has the squematic diagram for this PSU?
                          Thanks ind advance.
                          I did email them for a schematic of this psu. I didn't receive a response and wasn't successful in finding one. From what I have read, they don't typically give them out... Any suggestions?

Comment

Anything of interest on the trace side of the board? No one has posted a pic of that yet.

I'm thinking a bad rectifier somewhere, passing AC to this cap.

T
                            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                              Anything of interest on the trace side of the board? No one has posted a pic of that yet
                              T
                              Wow! after some inpection i noticed what appeared to be an area that got hot.This is the general area i thought i heard the noise comming from on the other side though. If you look at the pictures one of which i have an arrow pointing to the componant. Is this a resistor? The numbers appear gone now, i cant make anything out.

With my meter set to ohms it reads .472 k both directions. Is this right, or is there another way to check this?

Do you have any ideas as to what to check next or what the replacement would be?

Thanks!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by bottleneck; 02-07-2013, 09:21 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

I would not use HZ or MCZ class capacitors in a PSU... You should replace those with suitable caps and replace all the capacitos in the PSU and not just the ones that are bloated.
                                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

R83 is toast.

Check D9 near the cap that keeps blowing.

What is the device in the gray goop next to that cap? 3 legged, TO-92 package.

Identify (case markings) M6, M9, M10?

T
                                  veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                                    R83 is toast.

Check D9 near the cap that keeps blowing.

What is the device in the gray goop next to that cap? 3 legged, TO-92 package.

Identify (case markings) M6, M9, M10?

T
                                    I have the same PSU, and r83 is also toast.
                                    Meter also set to ohms, and it reads 15 kohms also both directions, and I can`t find D9 in the PCB.
                                    This PSU (in my case) has cero voltage in its ouputs, but the mosfet (q13) has little pulses in its gate (and very narrow) and doesn`t work, probably because the pulses doesn`t reach the minimum level.
                                    The mosfet (q2)at the PFC circuit, has good pulses and works properly.
                                    The main problem for me, is the schematic diagram. (seems difficult to get a copy)
                                    Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

D9 is right above the lightning symbol on the trace side. It is directed at bottleneck because of its proximity to the cap that self destructs.

Schematics are proprietary. Not available.

Caps replaced? Photos?

Get the info about the IC's near the burned resistor. There are 2 Zeners nearby and several transistors and M11. Draw out the circuit with R83 in it and see what it's attached to.

T
                                      veritas odium parit

Comment

There seems to be a protection diode conected to pin 9 (mosfet output driver) of the NCP1381, and it was bad. (leakage)
                                        Now, it has drain pulses. One burst of pulses, and then it autoprotect.
                                        I dont know if it is due to r83 in bad condition. (altered value) This resistor goes to pin 3 (DMG) of the same NCP1381 through another resistor, that is in good condition.
                                        Step by step to the solution.

Comment

Where is the NCP1381?

I attached the datasheet.

T
                                          Attached Files
                                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Working...
                                          X