Low ESR or U-ESR Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low ESR or U-ESR Cap

I need two Radial Caps for the power invertor on a Viewsonic Flat Panel. I've found two that might work, but one says Low ESR and the other says U-ESR.

What does that mean?

I previously bought two Radial caps for a different flat panel that didn't say either code, and they work great, should I keep looking or will these work?

Thanks

Re: Low ESR or U-ESR Cap

U-ESR I guess would be Ultra Low ESR.
    Why don't you post the capacitors that you are thinking about using. We will tell you whether they are good for the job.

Problem with capacitors is that there is no real rule saying what "Low ESR" is and what "Ultra Low ESR" is or whatever other fancy words that they come up with for marketing purposes.

Comment

U is for ultra low as far as I know.
      Although a lot of places I've seen just label everything Low ESR.
      Its best to look at the specs for original caps as well as for the new ones and see if they are the same. It is OK to replace higher ESR with lower ESR. In fact it is beneficial.

There is a good thread with make/series sorted in descending order by ESR:
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280

Comment

There are no official definitions of "Low ESR", "Ultra Low ESR", or any other "___ Low ESR".

Manufacturer #1's "Ultra Low" might = Manufacturer #2's "Low".

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X