Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Pioneer LX-5090H have a "trap switch"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the Pioneer LX-5090H have a "trap switch"?

Going to open up a Pioneer LX-5090H tv, to try to fix the "blue blink" problem, but was wondering if these sets also have a "trap switch" that needs to be disabled ?.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

(couldn't find any info about this in the service manual).

Re: Does the Pioneer LX-5090H have a "trap switch"?

No, it does not.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      No, it does not.
      thnx for the feedback, btw any idea if it's much job removing/disconnecting the "input" board, I guess that's where the most likely voltage regulator culprit is located on these tv's.

Comment

Its just tedious with all the screws it had
        not hard just time consuming but worth it

Comment

Originally posted by zomi View Post
          Its just tedious with all the screws it had
          not hard just time consuming but worth it
          Yea, personally a big fan of the Pioneer tv's so def worth it for me at least

Comment

Originally posted by mawrick View Post
            thnx for the feedback, btw any idea if it's much job removing/disconnecting the "input" board, I guess that's where the most likely voltage regulator culprit is located on these tv's.
            It's easy to remove it, there are just so many screws!!

I also have a repair service for this board for those who don't want to replace the regulator. I've repaired quite a few now. It's a common fault.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It's easy to remove it, there are just so many screws!!

I also have a repair service for this board for those who don't want to replace the regulator. I've repaired quite a few now. It's a common fault.
              Started to take of some of the back today, but do you know if I need to remove other boards to get to the input board ? (is there any description anywhere on what needs to be taken away ?.

I guess one might have to loosen some ribbon cables/connectors etc to get it out ?.

Comment

Started to take of some of the back today, but do you know if I need to remove other boards to get to the input board ? (is there any description anywhere on what needs to be taken away ?.

I guess one might have to loosen some ribbon cables/connectors etc to get it out ?.
                Yes, you have to remove ribbon cables, connectors and the screws holding it in. It's fairly obvious once you get to it.

Comment

Yes, you have to remove ribbon cables, connectors and the screws holding it in. It's fairly obvious once you get to it.
                  Almost there now, but before I use any force on this connector, any info on how it's supposed to be removed ? (is it ust to pull it out or is it "locked" somehow). (the white connector/ribbon)
                  Attached Files

Comment

That one is a little annoying. Just have to ease it out. It does take a bit of force but it comes. I broke one of the plastic side tabs off on one I removed as they are a bit flimsy but it doesn't affect function if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by tn245 View Post
                      That one is a little annoying. Just have to ease it out. It does take a bit of force but it comes. I broke one of the plastic side tabs off on one I removed as they are a bit flimsy but it doesn't affect function if that happens.
                      yea, was able to get it off, so worked out fine

Now I guess it's this one that will turn out as the "culprit" - but is there anything else that should be replaced when doing this ? (I'v heard they had some kind of a "kit" which had some other components as well, or is it enough to change out the voltage reg ?).

I guess I can use these ?: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...E1CT-ND/718327

EDIT: I see one can choose between NJM2846DL3-18-TE1CT-ND and NJM2846DL3-18-TE1 (anyone know what the difference is, and which one I should order ?)
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mawrick; 01-24-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Usually just one reg. Measure the output of it at switch on to be sure or often they can be persuaded to work temporarily with a blast of freeze spray.

Comment

Originally posted by tn245 View Post
                          Usually just one reg. Measure the output of it at switch on to be sure or often they can be persuaded to work temporarily with a blast of freeze spray.
                          Wasn't able to measure it (was unsure if it would be ok to power it up without the other board that sits in front of this, so just have to take a chance), the symptoms where that the tv would maybe fire up, and work, but if shutdown, and try to power it up again it gave these 8 blink, it might be able to be powered on again after a while, but guess that's due to temperature then maybe).

Comment

Then this LX-5090H seem to be "back from the dead" - haven't done extensive testing yet, but seem to be working fine (although the blinking light was a bit "intermittant" (ie didn't happen every time it was switched on).......the chip was def faulty though so hoping this now is sorted

btw, is it possible to see how many hours these tv's have been running ?.

Comment

Yes you can view the hour counter (amongst a million other settings), but you need an RS232 cable and a computer with an RS232 port or a USB to RS232 adapter.

Comment

Yes you can view the hour counter (amongst a million other settings), but you need an RS232 cable and a computer with an RS232 port or a USB to RS232 adapter.
                                ahh, ok, what software is needed for such things ? (I guess this is just a standard rs-232 cable then ?).

Comment

ahh, ok, what software is needed for such things ? (I guess this is just a standard rs-232 cable then ?).
                                  You can use any serial terminal like Teraterm, or Kuro Control software (not used it myself): http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-pl...0m-elites.html

You need to send the sequence \x02**FAY\x03

\x02 is hex sequence 0x02, i.e. ascii character Start-of-Text.
                                  \x03 is hex, ascii character End-of-Text

These are special sequences that you need to insert using the binary/hex entry dialog in Teraterm.

FAY will get you into the factory menu. Refer to the service manual for the location of the hour counter.

You can try PON and POF in place of FAY to test if the TV listens to your commands, these should cause the TV to power on/off respectively.

Be careful with editing settings. These TVs have a great deal of adjustability built into them and can produce amazing quality images. One adjustment that I'd recommend is fixing the red tint and increasing the ABL setting from the default of 127 to around 180. You can increase it until full white causes the power supply to chirp (there will be no visible effect on the screen) - this is the power limit of the PSU. Increasing the ABL settting will increase the panel brightness considerably, but at the penalty of increased power consumption and possibly shorter component use (my old PDP-LX5090 used to draw over 700W on full white once I had adjusted it!)

Comment

ok, thnx, will look into it

Comment

Working...
                                    X