4th Gen iPod sound quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th Gen iPod sound quality

I have, thanks to ratdude747, a 4th gen iPod. 20GB, B&W screen.

When I got it from Ratdude a few months ago the first thing I did was swap the battery for a generic cheapo-depot ebay replacement. The battery works well and lasts long. I replaced the Toshiba MK2004GAL hard drive in it for a Toshiba MK2006GAL when it started clicking and acting stupid about a month ago. Everything else is original.

I've noticed that the sound quality is not what it should be. If I turn on the EQ most of the music I have distorts a little bit no matter what headphones I have plugged in. I know with EQ some poorly recorded songs will distort but this is more than that, a good 70% of my music has very slight but noticeable distortion with the EQ turned on. EQ turned off = no distortion on anything.

The bass is also not what it should be. I have some headphones with 50mm drivers, 16ohm. It happens with 32ohm cans too. I was listening to my friend's iPod nano today and the headphones bumped proper with deep punchy lows and snappy highs. Plugged into my 4th gen iPod the sound is a lot more bland.

Is this to be expected of an old iPod or is something wrong here? I noticed the headphone jack is very loose and could probably use replacing.

I can upload some recordings of the distortion if you guys want to hear it.

Re: 4th Gen iPod sound quality

Something simple - is the headphone port clogged with tissue fiber?
    You can dig it out with a paperclip/pin. Might be worth poking around in there anyway even if it looks clean, since the tissue paper is white.

Comment

The jack looks clean enough, but I think it could be to blame for the audio quality as it doesn't hold the connector very tight and sometimes just moving the ipod will cause it to think that you unplugged the headphones and pause the music. I'll be ordering a new jack for it on ebay and let you guys know if that fixes it.

I love this old iPod btw, use it daily. Thanks again ratdude!

Comment

see if anything else is loose, sometimes this happens. the regular iPod pre-5th gens had much better DACs than the other iPod types.

Comment

Working...
        X