2004 Avalon radio/6 CD JBL sys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 Avalon radio/6 CD JBL sys

I have a 2004 Avalon. my problem is it stopped loading CD's. after inserting a CD it will not load all the way. consequently, you cannot eject the CD. I feel it may be one of the detection sensors that the CD passes as it is inserted into the player. it does pull the cd in to where you cannot see it from the front of the radio.

I cannot find a schematic for the player. anyone familiar with this problem and any suggestions? also, I had the radio out to remove the CD. It looks complicated to get at the sensors too. If I could find a place that's reasonable, I'd get fixed by a repair place.

thanks very much,

frank

Re: 2004 Avalon radio/6 CD JBL sys

If this player came with your vehicle, you are on your own with this fix, unless the dealer offers repair services for their car electronics. The big problem is getting repair info and parts.

Car CD players have the straight in-drop down loading mechanism. Limit switches might be involved, but worn rubber loading rollers/belts are the most likely thing to need attention.

However, the usual operation is that the disc tries to load, stops for some reason, then times out. At that point it will automatically eject, or will allow manual eject. If you are saying that the disc does mechanically get into play position inside the player, doesn't spin up, or won't read TOC, then we have a more serious problem like a bad laser or spindle motor. A good check would be to find a similar unit that works and confirm what is actually happening.
    Is it plugged in?

Comment

I would think worn rubber as stated and or dust in the mechanism. I would pull it find out what rubber parts are in it replace them and clean and lube it first. These guys might be able to help you http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/ .
      sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Here are a few common problems with car CD players that I've run into:

It's usually the transport (jamming) from dirt, no grease, kids put stuff in there, flaky limit switches (dirty/oxidized), CD (copy) labels peel off inside, etc.

I would pull the unit out, pull off the top and try run it in-vehicle. Running it on the workbench is best but it's tricky to get power connections/pinout made. A dust clean job using a can of compressed air (not the laser pickup!) and lube the transport is mostly what I end up doing.

Rarely, the transport can get out of sync - the radio CPU gets confused as to what CD is up and load or unload or swap was it doing. So you have reset the transport. I eject all CD's and do a cold-boot or hit the reset button.

Um. well hitting the dash with a fist can temporarily work to clear a jam. I know it's silly but while the transport is trying to eject or load, give it a mild bump...

Comment

I had 2 different model Pioneer head units (2002-2006 models, DEH P3xxx series) have the same load/non-eject issue. I used only CD-R's with the write-on surface, no labels.

The disc would load with no issue and they wouldn't eject. I found the loader roller was slipping on its bar.

A temporary fix was to glue the rubber roller to the bar, but it would last for 3 months.

The permanent fix was a JVC Arsenal head unit with full bluetooth integration.....
          Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

For dried out rubber rollers and idler wheels, I use MG chemicals rubber-renue, (DON'T use it on belts) it softens and remoisturizes rubber but a bit expensive.

But it's a good point you make - CD's are pretty much obsolete and a car PC with SSD drive and WiFi makes an awesome jukebox.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. will try and access rollers and clean them.

frank

Comment

Working...
              X