Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P will not post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P will not post

This computer belongs to my dad and is used daily. It was turned off one night and the next morning it would not work.

Symptoms:
    No display when powered on.
    No beeps.
    Fans and lights come on and stay on.

I have swapped both video cards and monitors and still nothing.

The board has all solid caps so I do not think that is the issue.

I have a PCI PC analyzer card that I used (see attached picture) and the results have left me confused. If I turn on the power supply, then power the board on, I get all the power indicators lit up but nothing on the 8 segment displays. If I power the board off holding the power button for 5 seconds, then power it back on I once again get all the power indicators and this time the 8 segment displays start displaying information. They display "02" when they stop changing.

This one really has me stumped so if anyone has a clue to where my problem is located I would appreciate some input.

My initial thoughts are a faulty BIOS flash chip but this board has a dual bios setup so I do not know and I do not want to chase a red herrings all over the board.
    Attached Files

Re: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P will not post

When I run into these no boot situations, I do the following:

1) simply everything - use a known good PS, 1 stick of DRAM, CPU, keyboard and monitor.

2) remove everything from the no boot computer except the above. Strip everything else out.

3) The post card can help. Use it on a good system to see the sequence and then on the no boot system.

4) Put in a fresh CR2032 battery that is > 3V.

5) Reset/clear BIOS via jumper (if any).

6) Take motherboard out of case so it is isolated. This eliminates any possible shorts between the bottom of the motherboard and the case.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for replying Retiredcaps. I will try your suggestions when I get home from work tonight.

I did check the battery last night but it was 3.2V so I do not think that is an issue. It also dawned on me this morning that it is acting like a PC where the P4 connector was left disconnected.

Comment

gigabyte board? so im guessing it uses award bios. hanging at 02 seems to mean there is some kind of error accessing or programming the cpu registers if i'm reading the post checkpoint code right.

so this issue is either a problem with the cpu or the ram. i would try swapping ram and cpu with known working ones to see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

I pulled the board from the case. I used a different power supply. I pulled the four sticks of ram then tried two of those individually and there was no change.

I tried it with no ram. This is the part that that to me seems to hint at the source of the problem. If the board is powered on after a hard power off there is no noise other than fans and the post card shows no activity other than power. When powered off and then back on with the power switch then the post card shows activity. In the case with no ram I think it stopped at C1 and the motherboard (speaker) squealed until powered off.

Putting a stick of ram in and no beeps or squeals but the post card has the same behavior except goes to 02. ChaosLeginnaire I think you are correct about the BIOS being Award. I lost my book to the POST card so I am having trouble deciphering the code meanings.

The only way to get a CPU and RAM to play with is to pull them from a working system and risk damage to good parts so I am not sure that is my best move at this time.

I also measured the CPU VRM at the caps. There are 11 2.5V caps by the CPU. The first two caps closest to the edge of the board measured 1.148V, the other 9 measured 1.053. I am not sure why they would be different. The processor is a quad AMD Phenom II, and I have not yet pulled the heat sink to get the exact model.

I was thinking my next move should be to try this processor in one of the working systems I have, then if it works try put the ram in that same system which would narrow the problem down to the motherboard. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

I did not think the ram was a problem so I decided it was safest to test it first. I put all four sticks in another PC and it fired up with no problem. I also tested my POST card in that PC and it worked every time no matter if it was from a cold or warm power on, so I think the motherboard has a pre-post failure.

I am still concerned about trying the processor in another board so I am going to print the compatible CPU list for this board and see what I can dig up.

I have attached pictures of the CPU and RAM.
            Attached Files

Comment

I could not find a spare AM3 socket processor to test with.

I need to get this PC up and running ASAP so I am looking at this for a replacement as all the other hardware will work with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128627

Don't get me wrong, I want to find the point of failure on this board and fix it if possible. I just need to get my dad's PC back up an running like yesterday so I need to do something else as this could take some time to troubleshoot and repair.

Comment

Originally posted by LDSisHere View Post
                I could not find a spare AM3 socket processor to test with.
                For a spare CPU, I see the AMD Athlon II X2 240 is listed on your motherboard's CPU supported list and can be found on ebay for $4.99 + 2.94 ship (USA seller).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291602872494

This is the cheapest one I could find using sort by "lowest price + shipping".

The AMD Athlon II X2 240 has a passmark score of 1639 whereas your AMD Phenom II X4 810 has a score of 3198 (2x faster).

Or you can buy something more powerful, but you will also spend more money.

Don't get me wrong, I want to find the point of failure on this board and fix it if possible.
                It sounds like you have done everything to narrow down the possibility to either the CPU or motherboard. Personally I have never seen a CPU failure. However, I have received dead motherboards in which I have fixed.

The only thing you have not done is to clear the CMOS via the jumper and/or remove the CR2032 so the system loses its BIOS settings.

I just need to get my dad's PC back up an running like yesterday so I need to do something else as this could take some time to troubleshoot and repair.
                All my PCs at home are other people's junk or discarded as non working. Subsequently, I fixed them and have several "spares" on hand for myself and family/friends. In addition, since I switched to Lubuntu, I don't have to worry about software licenses and I can get a fresh clean install done in about 30 minutes fully configured, tweaked, etc.

I'm often referred to as a "dinosaur" for using such old systems (10+ year old), but for my needs, they work perfectly and are reliable after I have fixed and tested them. Lubuntu is stable, fast and lightweight. I have though, in 2015, used duo cores for my "baseline" systems and started giving away my P4s to those families in need.
                Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-04-2015, 01:42 AM.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I lost my book to the POST card so I am having trouble deciphering the code meanings.
                  I have probably the same post adapter. I got mine from ebay for $2.50CDN 4 years ago?

I wouldn't trust the code to match the manual as I suspect the makers just copy the documentation from whatever they can find on the Internet.

I use the post card just to give me an idea roughly if the motherboard is doing anything. Voltages, as you can guess, are dead easy to measure, but I have no visibility into what the motherboard boot process is doing.

See my case studies (4 years ago) ...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16609
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 11-04-2015, 02:07 AM.
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                    It sounds like you have done everything to narrow down the possibility to either the CPU or motherboard. Personally I have never seen a CPU failure. However, I have received dead motherboards in which I have fixed.

The only thing you have not done is to clear the CMOS via the jumper and/or remove the CR2032 so the system loses its BIOS settings.
                    You may have missed it but in post #3 I stated that I tested the battery and it was 3.2V. I did not say that I pulled it out to measure the voltage.

I am with you in not having ever seen a processor fail but I have read horror stories of motherboards going bad and taking the processor with them. Then the processor killing other boards when trying to test the processor. I just did not want to be one of those stories.

Anyhow after sleeping on it and taking into account the VRM voltages I measured I decided it would be reasonable to risk trying the processor in another computer. After giving myself a stroke by forgetting to reconnect the P4 connector, the processor booted in the good system.

So this morning I ordered the board I posted above along with a SSD.

As far as the OS and power of the machine goes I have very little choice but to use Win7 and the machine needs to be powerful enough to run World of Warcraft. It was holding its' own for this purpose before it died so I was not concerned about upgrading anything else at this time. I just need to get it up and running ASAP.

My real problem is that my dad cannot remember things like email addresses, usernames, and passwords. So I am going to have my work cut out for me to get him back to where he is happy.

I am going to check out Ebay for a processor and ram so I can continue to troubleshoot this motherboard. I think I have a schematic for a dual BIOS Gigabyte board that may be useful in helping troubleshoot this one.

I have probably the same post adapter. I got mine from ebay for $2.50CDN 4 years ago?
                    I am sure they are close to the same as I bought mine after reading one of your posts recommending it to someone else.

Comment

My real problem is that my dad cannot remember things like email addresses, usernames, and passwords.
                      I use keepass2.

http://keepass.info/

Put all your Dad's info in it and use one strong master password. Keep a copy for yourself as a backup.

Just be aware if the computer is compromised, keepass2 might not help. See

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015...sword-manager/
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Does this motherboard use a stock AMD cooler? Do you see any warping under the CPU socket? It's rare for the CPU socket BGA to fail, but I know that many of the socket 939 and AM2 coolers bend the crap out of the motherboard. And where you have board flexing, you have potential for failure.

Also, try this: run the motherboard without any memory at all. Make sure there is a PC speaker connected to it (if the motherboard doesn't have one on it already). See if it throws a beep code for a memory error.

Originally posted by LDSisHere
                        I am with you in not having ever seen a processor fail but I have read horror stories of motherboards going bad and taking the processor with them. Then the processor killing other boards when trying to test the processor. I just did not want to be one of those stories.
                        I've read a few of those as well, but I think they are just myths. This comes mainly because I have done more than a few experiments now where I had the CPU VRM short out. Never managed to kill the CPU, though. On one motherboard, I decided to try even a silly mod with completely different inductors in the CPU VRM. Still CPU lived.
                        I think CPUs are probably the toughest bastards when it comes to PC hardware.
                        Last edited by momaka; 11-04-2015, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                          I use keepass2.

http://keepass.info/

Put all your Dad's info in it and use one strong master password. Keep a copy for yourself as a backup.

Just be aware if the computer is compromised, keepass2 might not help. See

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015...sword-manager/
                          Thanks I will check it out. Since he does not do any financial transactions a simple paper notepad my be the easiest solution if not the most secure.

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                          Does this motherboard use a stock AMD cooler? Do you see any warping under the CPU socket? It's rare for the CPU socket BGA to fail, but I know that many of the socket 939 and AM2 coolers bend the crap out of the motherboard. And where you have board flexing, you have potential for failure.
                          Flexing is not an issue on this board. It is well made as best as I can tell. I have attached pictures of the brackets plus some more shots of the board.

Also, try this: run the motherboard without any memory at all. Make sure there is a PC speaker connected to it (if the motherboard doesn't have one on it already). See if it throws a beep code for a memory error.
                          You must have missed this in post #5

I tried it with no ram. This is the part that that to me seems to hint at the source of the problem. If the board is powered on after a hard power off there is no noise other than fans and the post card shows no activity other than power. When powered off and then back on with the power switch then the post card shows activity. In the case with no ram I think it stopped at C1 and the motherboard (speaker) squealed until powered off.

I've read a few of those as well, but I think they are just myths. This comes mainly because I have done more than a few experiments now where I had the CPU VRM short out. Never managed to kill the CPU, though. On one motherboard, I decided to try even a silly mod with completely different inductors in the CPU VRM. Still CPU lived.
                          I think CPUs are probably the toughest bastards when it comes to PC hardware.
                          You may be correct but sometimes it is best to err on the side of caution especially if it can burn your wallet lol.

I am expecting the new parts to arrive any time now as they are out for delivery. I ordered the processor RC recommended. I cannot believe how much used Phenom II's are going for on Ebay. (Intel seem to go for less for more performance but maybe that is just due to them being more common.) I also ordered a stick of RAM as I have no spare DDR3. (I got plenty of DDR2.) Then almost forgot that a CPU cooler might be a good idea so I ordered one of them. I will be limited on testing until these get here.

I really like the build and features of this board and it would be a shame not to get it working. I also found a schematic for this boards predecessor, with a AM2 socket and DDR2. It could still be helpful to see how the parts work together. I am hoping there is just a bad voltage regulator somewhere or something simple. Thanks for all the input.
                          Attached Files

Comment

sorry. off-topic from me again. i seem to have a habit of rickrolling on the forums but whats up with the phenom 2 price? too ex$$$? if so, im thinking that has sumthing to do with the phenom 2 being the last cpu line from amd that could actually compete with intel. the APUs that came after the phenom 2 simply dont cut it against their intel counterparts.
                            Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

You must have missed this in post #5
                              Oops, sorry.

I really like the build and features of this board and it would be a shame not to get it working. I also found a schematic for this boards predecessor, with a AM2 socket and DDR2. It could still be helpful to see how the parts work together. I am hoping there is just a bad voltage regulator somewhere or something simple.
                              It is a nice board indeed. I don't think the attached datasheet of the older AM2 version of this board can directly be applied here, though. That said, it would be a good idea to check the main voltage rails on the board. So...

Originally posted by LDSisHere
                              I also measured the CPU VRM at the caps. There are 11 2.5V caps by the CPU. The first two caps closest to the edge of the board measured 1.148V, the other 9 measured 1.053. I am not sure why they would be different.
                              Check if the (+) terminals of the caps are connected physically. Do this *without* the CPU installed.

I made a map of all of the power rails on the board. See attached image. It looks like you already checked the CPU VRM. That said, check the Northbridge (NB), Southbridge (SB), and RAM VRMs that I outlined in red and orange - at least I think those should be it. Let me know what voltages you get.

Finally, there are the areas I circled in green. Those, I am a bit less sure what they power and what voltage they should have, as I haven't worked on motherboards with anything newer than socket AM2/775.
                              - I think the MOSFETs circled in green next to the NB should be for the NB as well. Not sure what voltage to expect there, though.
                              - As for the MOSFET and small SMD regulators between the SB and orange front panel USB connectors - my guess would be the TO-252 MOSFET is for standby power for the SB, the SOT-223 regulator/transistor is either for the SATA communication and/or LPC/Super IO controller, and the small SMD SOT-89(?) regulators/transistors are for switching power to front USB.
                              - Then there are the components next to the ATX connector and a 8-pin SOIC-8 IC below the RAM VRM. At least one of these should be for RAM Vtt. RAM Vtt = 1/2 of RAM Vdd usually. At least for DDR2 and DDR. I have no experience with DDR3.
                              - Lastly, there are two more regulators - one above the CPU socket and another near the CPU fan connector. I don't know what these are for.

Either way, measure the input and output voltages for all of the above stuff and report back what you get. I doubt it would be a shorted MOSFET, as that would usually overload the PSU and cause it to crowbar (or you will see some cooked components). But let's just see if all voltage rails are in order anyways.

You may be correct but sometimes it is best to err on the side of caution especially if it can burn your wallet lol.
                              Well I can understand that in your situation. After all, that Phenom isn't cheap. Not like my Pentium 4s, where you can buy a bucket full of them for $5 on eBay.

Flexing is not an issue on this board. It is well made as best as I can tell. I have attached pictures of the brackets plus some more shots of the board.
                              It doesn't matter how well the board is made. The socket 754/939/AM2/AM3 heatsink retention mechanism relies on flexing the back side bracket to keep pressure on the heatsink. Unfortunately, these brackets are *not* raised in the middle, as they should be. Thus, the board always gets flexed with the bracket.

Whenever I get an AMD board, this is the first thing I mod. Anyways, that is besides the point. What I would suggest you do as another test is to put the board flat on your desk and put the heatsink on the CPU *without* locking the retention mechanism. Just make sure the heatsink is sitting on the CPU (with thermal compound, of course), that is all.

*edit* forgot to add attachment... will update in a minute...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by momaka; 11-05-2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Momaka,

I appreciate your suggestions. I will test this as soon as I get a chance but it may be a few days. My work week starts tomorrow.

I have been getting the system up and running with new board. The SSD makes a big difference in the feel of the system. I am not a fan of these new "smart" BIOS that have been forced upon us. I have lived a long time with no mouse on the BIOS setup screen and could continue to do so for eternity.

Comment

I appreciate your suggestions. I will test this as soon as I get a chance but it may be a few days. My work week starts tomorrow.
                                  No rush.
                                  I understand that not everyone is a jobless bum like me right now, doing nothing all day and posting on the forum.

I am not a fan of these new "smart" BIOS that have been forced upon us. I have lived a long time with no mouse on the BIOS setup screen and could continue to do so for eternity.
                                  Me too.
                                  It no longer makes me feel like a true tech. The last time I configured one of these was on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop, and my initial reaction was to use the keyboard despite there being a mouse. But the BIOS was so poorly designed (well, it's a Dell ) that I literally *had* to use the mouse. And it's a shame, because I know the oldschool non-mouse (non-UEFI?) BIOSes like the back of my hand. Can navigate quickly and efficiently.

Comment

I am not sure where to start. I put my dads computer back together using all the old components with the exception of the motherboard and a SSD.

The first issue was that sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes before getting a boot screen. You can hear an internal fan change speeds multiple times during this time like it is continuously restarting. Other times Windows will be completely loaded in 30 seconds. There is no consistency to when this will occur. Even though this was happening I decided to take it back to my dad to see what it did for him. Within 15 minutes of me getting it set up it completely froze on him while playing a flash based game. The computer was completely unresponsive including the mouse being frozen. I went ahead and left it so I could get an idea of what else would occur. He reported back multiple BSOD's, freezing and painfully long boot times. He said that these problems could occur in rapid succession or he could play WoW for half a day without an issue.

I bring the stupid computer home last night and ran stress tests on it but could not get it to crash. I still had issues with the bios wanting to load. I was suspecting I had gotten a bad motherboard, but I am now thinking the problem may be in the processor or ram which I will explain.

I received my Ebay processor on Saturday and the heat sink and ram showed up yesterday. So this morning while the stress tests are running on my dads computer I put my new parts in the old motherboard, the one in the thread title. I was not expecting it to do anything different than before but just for kicks I threw a video card in it before I started to measure voltages. Guess what? It posted without a hitch. I just have it on my table with no drives attached, so no OS, but before it would not display anything. I powered it on and off multiple times and it consistently posted.

My next step I suppose will be to swap processors between to two boards and see what happens. I will do that when I get home tonight.

The attached image is from Hardware monitor when I was stress testing my dads computer.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

IThe first issue was that sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes before getting a boot screen.
                                      For all my systems, I enable verbose/text mode while booting BIOS and OS. That way, I can see where it stops/hangs, etc.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

wtf?! i noticed in the hwmonitor screenshot u posted that the video card was overheating to 94-95°C. that is much too hot to run a gts 250! i highly recommend u check to see if the cooler is clogged with dust and also to check if the tim has not dried up.

that 38-95°C thermal cycle is going to kill that lead-free bga solder on that gpu really fast, i suggest u stop using that gts 250 until u can fix that overheating problem. the gts 250 is a mighty fine video card based on the much acclaimed g92 gpu core. u do NOT want to ruin such a groundbreaking gpu of its time like that!

Comment

Working...
                                        X