Sony playback problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony playback problems

After my uncle passed away, one of the many items I received was his trusty Sony TC-377 reel-to-reel deck and about a four foot tall stack of tapes.
    Today I finally got the time to pull it out and try it and after figuring out what each knob did I hooked up my cd player, grabbed a blank reel of tape and did a test recording using Gershon Kingsley's Music to moog by CD.
    When the cd ended I rewound the tape, re-threaded it and turned the knob to play.
    Almost as soon as the music started to play I noticed that it was playing back slower than normal. I then also noticed that the right channel was silent.
    First thing I did was remove the reel, clean the heads and record a 20 second clip I knew was stereo. When I played it back it was still slow but the right channel was STILL silent.
    I switched off the left channel and cranked up the amp to hear if anything was coming from the right. It was faint, but it was there...Or I was just getting stray noise from the left.

Then my amp overloaded and kicked out. I forgot that there was a leakage problem and going too high would kick the amp out and reset itself (I need to retune the radio).

Anyways, excluding the amp issues, What's going on?
    I don't dare want to open the player up due to all the mechanical parts inside just screaming to be knocked out of adjustment and visually the heads look okay.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: Sony playback problems

Oh, I forgot to mention that this thing has probably not seen a good oiling in a few years and it came from the room of a smoker however it was covered by a white cloth (which was yellow when I got it)
    Find Nedry!

Comment

Okay, it plays back at normal speed if you DON'T HAVE THE PAUSE BRAKE HALF-ENGAGED.

So that just leaves the tape head(s).
      This is a tri-head system. One records, one is playback and the third erases?
      My uncle was an audiophile. He used only the best.
      Find Nedry!

Comment

Oh heck, I suck at troubleshooting.

The right channel monitor switch had corroded contacts. Cleaning them restored the right channel.

Problems solved.
        Find Nedry!

Comment

I've got an old beat up Sony TC-200 that has a flakey Line/Speaker output select switch, and both volume pots are shot. Problem is I can't get it apart without a ton of work.

Anyone know how to align the heads on these things? There is only a couple adjustments, but I know they are off.

Comment

My goodness.
            Along with the TC-377 there was also a TC-200 in the closet along with it's manual and plastic cover.
            How hard is it to align a head?
            Problem is I can't get it apart without a ton of work.
            When it comes to complex stuff like that just take many photographs.
            That saved me alot of trouble when I had to replace the carriage clutch spring on my selectric typewriter. That thing has more moving parts than a wind-up clock!
            Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxarcade
              I've got an old beat up Sony TC-200 that has a flakey Line/Speaker output select switch, and both volume pots are shot. Problem is I can't get it apart without a ton of work.

Anyone know how to align the heads on these things? There is only a couple adjustments, but I know they are off.
              have you tried to get some deoxit into thse parts yet?
              i have fixed pots that nothing else would clean up.
              btw i have a ton of sony service manuals here.
              if i can find the ones you need i can scan them for you.

Comment

Working...
              X