Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has a PS3?

Who has a playstation 3?

Got a few questions because my PS3 crapped itself out of the blue. Been getting graphics corruption issues, I suspect my RSX chip has let go and giving me these problems, no YLOD though... repair shop says I have a YLOD symptom but not showing the YLOD.

I really want to repair mine but $120 for a reflow is too much, plus a reflow is pretty shit because: A) I could probably do that too and B) It'll last a few months before crapping again.

So... I have FOUR options.

Option 1: Buy a pre owned unit that I have no idea about its history from EB games for $148. Comes with a 3 month warranty.

Option 2: Spend $180 for a refurbished (reballed) unit from a authorised repairer that has a 3 month warranty as well.

Option 3: This is where BCN engineering comes in... I reflow my own PS3 with a heat gun and probably break it at the same time.

Option 4: Buy a console online that has a faulty Blu-ray drive and transplant drives. I'll be looking at an UNOPENED unit, so I can be sure it hasn't been tampered with! Set me back maybe $100? Then sell dead one for $60-70-ish?
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Who has a PS3?

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
    Who has a playstation 3?

Got a few questions because my PS3 crapped itself out of the blue. Been getting graphics corruption issues, I suspect my RSX chip has let go and giving me these problems, no YLOD though... repair shop says I have a YLOD symptom but not showing the YLOD.

I really want to repair mine but $120 for a reflow is too much, plus a reflow is pretty shit because: A) I could probably do that too and B) It'll last a few months before crapping again.

So... I have FOUR options.

Option 1: Buy a pre owned unit that I have no idea about its history from EB games for $148. Comes with a 3 month warranty.

Option 2: Spend $180 for a refurbished (reballed) unit from a authorised repairer that has a 3 month warranty as well.

Option 3: This is where BCN engineering comes in... I reflow my own PS3 with a heat gun and probably break it at the same time.

Option 4: Buy a console online that has a faulty Blu-ray drive and transplant drives. I'll be looking at an UNOPENED unit, so I can be sure it hasn't been tampered with! Set me back maybe $100? Then sell dead one for $60-70-ish?
    I got PS3 given to me dead with ylod, and I said what the hell. Bought a wagner 10 amp heat gun, hit the board and chips for 10 minutes and viola! I put a simple 555 PWM fan controller that allow me to control the fan. It only lasted 9 months but I played a lot on it from rentals.

I think if I got some flux under the chips it would have lasted longer.

It's not the proper way to do it, I think my thread about the reflow is buried somewhere on this site and someone posted the procedure for a proper reflow.

I say give reflow a try.

Comment

I have a 3rd gen phat model and be prepared for the plastics to chip away like rat droppings. i would just go for the used model and see if you can sell your old deck on ebay, or try the proper reflow procedure and mod the fan to run at full.
      My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

i have two that have been running 24/7 for the last year. not any more since Folding is done on the PS3.

I had two of the original ones that both died at the same time.....i think it was from a power surge while i was on vacation.

as for what you could do....do #3...if you screw it up, fall back to #4.
        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I ended up doing option 4 today. Bought a unit online with a faulty Blu-Ray drive for $50. Still has the warranty seal and unopened. All I have to do is swap the drives over... and mod the fan controller too.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Drives and drive controllers swapped to the new unit. Works great!

Comment

Working...
            X