Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the level of repairability of these equipements ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the level of repairability of these equipements ?

lTaking in consideration component availability and cost , repair difficulty and overall faisability of the repair for a sustained monthly income in my bench ; Can you put these equipement from the most repairable to the least repairable

* Inverting welders - heavy duty 3 phase welders
    * Battery chargers smps and linear
    * variable frequency drives.
    * industrial electrical systems and automated systems.
    * high power switch mode power supplies
    * laptops and desktops
    * smartphones and tablets.
    Last edited by SistMaticZ; 07-31-2019, 07:06 AM.

Re: What is the level of repairability of these equipements ?

the laptops/phones/tablets need very different tools to the others - dont mix them.

Comment

Originally posted by SistMaticZ View Post
      lTaking in consideration component availability and cost , repair difficulty and overall faisability of the repair for a sustained monthly income in my bench ; Can you put these equipement from the most repairable to the least repairable

* Inverting welders - heavy duty 3 phase welders
      * Battery chargers smps and linear
      * variable frequency drives.
      * industrial electrical systems and automated systems.
      * high power switch mode power supplies
      * laptops and desktops
      * smartphones and tablets.
      That will depend on the sorts of failures you encounter and the availability of appropriate "spares". All are repairable -- if you have the equipment and skillsets to diagnose and perform the repair.

But, if, for example, the welder (or charger or VFD or...) uses parts with "house" markings (I'm trying to avoid using the term "proprietary") and the manufacturer doesn't make those parts available to you, then you're SoL.

Phones/laptops/tablets/desktops can avoid this problem because there is a sizeable market for certain common replacement parts that might not apply to the other "industrial" devices.

Also, keep in mind the expectations of your customer in each of these markets. A bit of kit used on the production line will probably NEED to be repaired ASAP if it unavailability is effecting "output". And, the customer will likely be really intolerant of a fix that craps out in short order -- regardless of cost.

A laptop customer might WANT his device repaired ASAP but, typically, has alternatives available and isn't as dependant on having it working as the industrial client.

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post

But, if, for example, the welder (or charger or VFD or...) uses parts with "house" markings (I'm trying to avoid using the term "proprietary") and the manufacturer doesn't make those parts available to you, then you're SoL.
        Thanks for the quick reply.

I am currently trying to figure out what to do in my bench , should i do repairs only or combine it with something else like selling stuff to cover a respectable income.

What i am doing right now is repairing inverting welders as i can find spare parts like igbts relatively easily , and also this equipement isnt very complicated to undersrand and troublshoot for me.

Now am afraid that welders will use like you said in house power components witch is not the case nowadays but it is the case of VFDs.

I hope am still fine with welders of any type ; At least thats what am good at right now .

I also have some skills with laptops and software repairs .

I find smartphone very delicate and not a good bisness for me too much microscopic components with high integration level and hard disassembly.

If someone got another point of view it is very welcome.

Comment

something that can bring good money is car modules.
          ECU's, fuseboxes with integrated switching etc.
          specially if you get to know some garages - they would rather deal with a person that wait for mail-order repairs.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am currently trying to figure out what to do in my bench , should i do repairs only or combine it with something else like selling stuff to cover a respectable income.

I also have some skills with laptops and software repairs .

I find smartphone very delicate and not a good bisness for me too much microscopic components with high integration level and hard disassembly
            It largely depends on the value of retaining "old"/broken/repairable devices vs. simply replacing with new kit. Here (USA), I find most consumer items (laptops, small appliances, etc.) are inexpensive enough that people opt to replace instead of repair. This also gives them an "excuse" to treat themselves to something "new".

High-end phones see repairs because the cost to replace is so high. Though I am now seeing folks take out "insurance" so they can just have their phone replaced when/if the drop it, lose it, etc.

One thing that people seem willing to pay for is "data recovery"... cases where their computer has been "infected" with some form of malware and they want access to the photos or other files stored there. They might not care about being able to restore the computer to normal operation (instead, they'll "treat" themselves to a NEW computer) -- but the data is irreplaceable.

Simply being able to remove the drive and process it in a "clean" environment (or, booting the "bad" computer from a CD/USB and doing the recovery in situ) is usually enough. Then, it's just a matter of time to track down everything that MIGHT be of value (folks often don't realize what they've got on their computer if they can't actually look at it!).

So, you could charge a fee (fixed + hourly) for the recovery and then a second fee to "reinstall Windows" (for those folks who want to keep using the computer). A third fee could be charged for those folks who want all their original software reinstalled along with the recovered files.

[Note that the third task might be difficult if they don't have their original install media]

While not strictly "electronics" service, you might also explore servicing electric wheelchairs (powerchairs). The folks who rely on these are often physically unable to perform even simple maintenance tasks. For example, changing the batteries on a chair can take 1 - 3 hours. And, if you can't physically lift them or contort your body into a suitable position to get access to them, then you are stuck relying on someone else to perform this task.

On larger chairs, the (inflated!) price of batteries can easily be $300 and the labor to replace them another $300-$800. You could hide a little profit in the resale price of the batteries (cost being $100 - $200) and, as you get familiar with different chairs, the time required to make the repair can be cut, dramatically.

If you are willing to travel TO the chair, this adds value to the customer as some chairs are very difficult to transport (weighing many hundreds of pounds). And, if the batteries are shot, just getting the chair TO the transport is tedious.

Most of the other "electronics" on the chairs is pretty reliable so not needing repair.

[I just replaced the batteries in a "scooter" for a friend, yesterday. Two hours of my time, including travel. She bought the batteries (2 req'd) so I didn't have to bother with that -- and any price savings went to her, directly -- and just called me when they had arrived.]

Comment

Curious george , with my limited english i can only thank you for sharing your experience.

I will absolutly try to repair different equipement including mechanical stuff.

Comment

With VFD drive and servo drive most parts available but I find that IGBT modules are some time hard to find

Plasma cutting machine machine have the same problem with finding IGBT modules are sometimes a lot harder to find

High power switching power supply most parts are available except for the transformers are very hard to find if not impossible to find switching power supply regulator IC chips most of the time they are available with out to much problems
                9 PC LCD Monitor
                6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                1 Dell Mother Board
                15 Computer Power Supply
                1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

The repair shop I worked in, the boss did not like repairing cheap things. How much can you charge for 1/2 hour repair+parts on $50 item?

Repair $50 cell phone or $1,000 welder - You make more money by fixing more valuable, expensive equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                    With VFD drive and servo drive most parts available but I find that IGBT modules are some time hard to find

Plasma cutting machine machine have the same problem with finding IGBT modules are sometimes a lot harder to find

High power switching power supply most parts are available except for the transformers are very hard to find if not impossible to find switching power supply regulator IC chips most of the time they are available with out to much problems
                    The problem with anything that might use parts made of Unobtanium is that you leave the customer with the impression that you WILL (likely!) be able to fix the item. Then, disappoint them, later, when you finish troubleshooting and discover that you can't buy the necessary part(s).

And, likely charge for the time to come up with this diagnosis!

So, IMO, you want to be reasonably sure that you CAN, eventually, repair the item. Then, the customer is only worrying about how much that fee will eventually be.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                      The repair shop I worked in, the boss did not like repairing cheap things. How much can you charge for 1/2 hour repair+parts on $50 item?

Repair $50 cell phone or $1,000 welder - You make more money by fixing more valuable, expensive equipment.
                      Most shops that I've experience with charge the same hourly rate for the $50 item as they would for the $1000 item. It then becomes an issue of whether the customer will want to SPEND that sum for an "inexpensive" item.

OTOH, recovering data from a $300 laptop can easily cost as much as the whole laptop -- yet folks will begrudgingly spend the money cuz they can't buy "replacement data".

Comment

I gave up fixing cheap things long time ago, unless I get it for free and have use for it, or for a family member / very good friend. Other than that, I don't touch anything cheap replaceable stuff. It's just not worth the time.
                        There is more money in Data Recovery.

Comment

Yes I agree with you for the most part these are big machines that I am talking $50,000 or more used mostly servo drive controller CNC controller switching power supply and sometimes computer switching power supply supply if it has specific functions that would take awhile to get working again

The all other type of machine repair I try to stay from is because parts are hard to get they sometimes take along time to get and nobody want to pay the money for you to repair them they rather do them selfs

When I do side work for some one I look up the parts I think is wrong with the item that I am working on and most of the time if I can find the parts and yes I do this as part of diagnostic fee , repair fee and part fee for what I am working on

And if I can not find the parts need to do the repair there is a minimum fee for this service as well

I do also have a minimum repair fee as well which most of the time is 6 hours

The money that I make doing this funds my electronics hobby and my electronics projects
                          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 08-01-2019, 07:37 PM.
                          9 PC LCD Monitor
                          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                          1 Dell Mother Board
                          15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

So this is the stuff i repair , do you thing there is still money to get out of these repairs ?

Comment

I think what is worth repairing also depends on what part of the world you live in. Are those welders you work on really expensive and hard to get in your country? If yes, then it makes sense to offer a repair service. Same thing with phones, tablets, tv's, etc. If your import taxes make it really expensive to sell these items, then it makes sense to try and repair them. Find out what items sell for the most money, that will help in determining what makes sense to repair. As mentioned before, computer data recovery is a good idea. How many people do you know that actually make backups of their important data?
                              Last edited by jetadm123; 08-03-2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                                I think what is worth repairing also depends on what part of the world you live in. Are those welders you work on really expensive and hard to get in your country? If yes, then it makes sense to offer a repair service. Same thing with phones, tablets, tv's, etc. If your import taxes make it really expensive to sell these items, then it makes sense to try and repair them. Find out what items sell for the most money, that will help in determining what makes sense to repair. As mentioned before, computer data recovery is a good idea. How many people do you know that actually make backups of their important data?
                                Sorry i forget to mention that am actually from north africa morocco , more specifically casablanca the most industrial city in our country .

A lot of construction sites are working with these welders .

These welders are about 250-300 $ new for the small type. The bigger type is about 4000-5000 $ new.

I mostly repair the heavily used ones , i charge from 70 $ for the smaller inverting types up to 200 $ for the heavy ones like these ( see picture ).

The problem right now is i have realy low number of clientele.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                  I gave up fixing cheap things long time ago, unless I get it for free and have use for it, or for a family member / very good friend. Other than that, I don't touch anything cheap replaceable stuff. It's just not worth the time.
                                  Unfortunately, you can use this to argue that very FEW things are "worth the time" to repair. Guesstimate the number of hours, start to finish; multiply by your hourly rate; inflate to cover the potential for a REPEAT failure within the (nonexistent!) warranty period you'll provide yourself. Anything costing less than that to replace is a losing proposition.

However, the fallacy in this is the assumption that there is someone always waiting to PAY you your hourly rate. If not, your time is (in a bookkeeping sense) "worth nothing" for that calculus!

There's also the value of learning from those repairs -- as well as learning HOW things likely fail (esp if you are a designer trying to produce reliable products).

From the strict "time accounting" outlined in my first paragraph, there are very few "consumer" items that are worth my time to repair. OTOH, there is a certain therapeutic value in fixing OTHER folks' design problems -- instead of perpetually tweaking your own designs. E.g., I can repair a monitor while I'm watching a movie so there's no "lost" time and, thus, no "cost" for that time.

I repaired a (cheap) rescued electronic stopwatch, yesterday -- a $30 (retail) item. How much of my time was THAT worth? (And, I really have no need for the damn thing but it was fun to tinker with it!)

OTOH, data recovery is very tedious -- esp if you are trying to be thorough. You never know if some file isn't "hiding" someplace that you've not yet bothered to check.

And, it's psychologically distressing; I don't want to see folks' photos, tax returns, email correspondence, porn collection, etc. "Too much information"!

[I had to recover a female friend's computer some years ago. I wasn't pleased to see the naked dude sporting a substantial erection as her "wallpaper"! How do I wipe that from my mind when I speak with her, thereafter? :< ]

Comment

The problem right now is i have realy low number of clientele.
                                    It takes a little while to build it up your clientele
                                    But to me what is most important is the type of quality I give my client
                                    9 PC LCD Monitor
                                    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                    1 Dell Mother Board
                                    15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by Curious.George View Post

[I had to recover a female friend's computer some years ago. I wasn't pleased to see the naked dude sporting a substantial erection as her "wallpaper"! How do I wipe that from my mind when I speak with her, thereafter? :< ]
                                      Lolz i have experienced this before.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                                        It takes a little while to build it up your clientele
                                        But to me what is most important is the type of quality I give my client
                                        That's true, it does take a little while to build your clientele. I built mine on word of mouth and I could be busy fixing things all day long, if I wanted to. I just have too many irons in the fire. That is my problem.

Comment

Working...
                                        X