Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Samsung Plasma(PN59D530A), audio but NO picture post

Hello all!

I've got a 59" D series Samsung Plasma with issues displaying picture.

There were some power issues (wasn't turning on). Used a shop jimmy kit to fix up the PSU... seems to function now.

It will play chime and audio from inputs. Slight backlight flash when first turned on.

Its got the slow/unhealthy blink on the control board. I tried the panel test(short ps-on and ground/ remove lvds and jumper 3/4 pins). Nothing happened but a boot-loop with the slight screen flash.

This all leads me to consider X/Y Buffers generally... they do have the small caps often replaced on the E series. Also seen some people saying their issues came down to the control board or mainboard somtimes - is there a way I can eliminate those as fail points right now?

VS and VE jump at start, then drop. According to a samsung service bulliten, I'm have a Vscan issue at the y-main. I can pull the little blue caps and replace I suppose - see if that makes a change!

The screen could be garbage, but the guy I bought from said it was functioning and then no longer turned on/boot looped. Someone had been inside before me though, so who knows what damage....

Anyways. I've been through 10 pages of Samsung Plasma trouble-shooting and tonnes of youtube videos. Just figured I'd do a quick post! Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Another Samsung Plasma(PN59D530A), audio but NO picture post

Also... How the heck do i get the Y-Driver off?

Brute force? Looks like it pulls straight up.

Cheers!
    Attached Files

Comment

Unscrew the y buffer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoanr View Post
        Unscrew the y buffer
        Yes... I meant to remove the tabs from the buffer.

Comment

Well, dunno what I did now lol... Not starting at all now. No standby light. Have power at PSU, ps-on had voltage to main but stby is 0...

So maybe my PSU is incompatible/fubar.

Is there a typical component that may fail affecting the standby voltage through PSU? Will search for more threads now that my issue had evolved/de-evolved.

Comment

More updates...

Tried to bypass the mainboard and do the jumper screen test... It did force the TV on, relays were clicking, heartbeat going slowly then shutdown. Screen had a soft backlight Flash....

Measurements from PSU to main:

Ps on 3.25v
            Stby 5.26v... nothing else at the terminal all 0v. Should 15v be active or is that only once started? If stby is going to mainboard, wouldn't the red light be on front?..... Ugh. I'm an idiot. Forgot too hook the sensor light up.

Back to testing lol
            Attached Files

Comment

These... Mofsets? On the board all appear to share continuity, does that sound correct?

Basically I'm back to audio and no visual. Replaced three little ceramic caps on y sustain due to issues with other board in past but nothing.

Need to get some rest and think on a fresher mind lol
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by geeforce View Post
                These... Mofsets? On the board all appear to share continuity, does that sound correct?

Basically I'm back to audio and no visual. Replaced three little ceramic caps on y sustain due to issues with other board in past but nothing.

Need to get some rest and think on a fresher mind lol
                Looks like the RF1501 are operating properly...? pins 1 & 3 are connected right? Then they get switched to pin 2? So as long as pin 2 (the large part) is not shorted to the others, they are presumably operating correctly?

Sorry blind you-tube tech with no electrical experience doing a learning curve.
                Attached Files

Comment

Confirmed with a co-worker that those RF1501's should show continuity on 1/3.

So I'm going to start everything over from scratch this weekend. Take full and proper measurements, etc. I may grab two incandescant lightbulbs to do that trick, my VS rockets over 400v and then shuts down with no load.

The only way I can get the heartbeat to function properly is to disconnect the Y-Main at that end from the control board. The light then beats normally. Otherwise, its' slow long blinks.

Sometimes I'm getting clicking and restarting from the power board although as mentioned I've gone through the PFC system and replaced with new components...

Anyways, I'll wise up and get meter readings from each pin/connection and go from there. Seems like something X/Y related. I did apply some heat to the control board to see if a little reflow would help. No change lol.

Slight flash on startup, then the samsung music. long blinks. No apparent damage/shorts on the buffer boards (saw a test on youtube where someone said check between the red capacitors on driver boards on diode mode, should be 0.XX one way and infinity on the other... mine show .xx both ways ...? Maybe I misinterpreted the test.

Either way, I'll go back to square one with the voltmeter LOL... Thanks for the patience as I ADHD'd around at first.

Comment

Ok took some measurements to try and get another baseline.

Vs jumps to over 400v on startup before dropping
                    Va jumps to 101v before dropping

Vsc on y main 0 always
                    Be(VB) on x main jumps to 216 then drops

Disconnected the buffer board to see if vsc would come up again. It did not. This also created another issue. Tv started to boot as soon as I plugged it in, looping and crashing after 5 times or something.

Disconnecting the cable to the x main speed the boot loop but did not bring up vsc.

Vsch is 0 for like 15 seconds then jumps to 70v and starts dropping

Any ideas plasma guruus?

In going to take the PSU out and check the little... Resisters? On the bottom near where I did done work, might have burnt some out.

Got two light bulbs to try the PSU test too, will do that tomorrow I think.

Comment

Haven't yet done the lightbulb test to rule out the PSU... Any videos or pages with examples of this? Should I just solder a wire from one bulb to another more or less? lol.

Anyone have any thoughts given the issues thus far though?

Comment

To check the VS from the power supply a load is needed, connect two 120volt 60-100 watt incandescent lamps in series and connect them between VS and ground on the power supply

Comment

You need to connect you test bulbs in SERIES, like in a daisy chain. The Vs could go to 400V and shut down without a load to protect the PSU. With the Vs connector disconnected from the Y-Main Bd. and the test bulbs connected across Vs and GND, with, everything else connected power on the TV and the test bulbs should light up bright and remain ON, if PSU is good.

Comment

Case closed....

Wife got up on middle of the night and bumped into some stuff.... Down goes the plasma.

Should have worked on it quicker. Guess I have to many tv projects! From 5 projects to 4 lol....

Sorry for no conclusion.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X