Gateway FPD1760 LCD Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gateway FPD1760 LCD Monitor

lexwalker: I assume you are referring to the large IC (IC1) since it has a TI logo on it. Which pin do you think I should be measuring the voltage on? It looks like it has about 100 pins. I am out of town until Friday so I will resume checking when I return. I do have another gateway monitor (same model) so I guess I can try swapping LCD panels to see if that is the problem.

Comment

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but i havent received help on my thread

Can someone tell me how to take the cover apart?

I removed all of the screws and the dam thing wont separate only partially at the bottom
      Last edited by jose6326; 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leaver View Post
        lexwalker: I assume you are referring to the large IC (IC1) since it has a TI logo on it. Which pin do you think I should be measuring the voltage on? It looks like it has about 100 pins. I am out of town until Friday so I will resume checking when I return. I do have another gateway monitor (same model) so I guess I can try swapping LCD panels to see if that is the problem.
        Yes, that big I.C with the TI logo. Trace any connections from the DC-to-DC converter or regulator side to this I.C (since can't find any datasheet on this obselete part). Swapping panels would be the quickest way to determine if the panel was at fault...

Comment

I swapped the LCD panel with by good panel and the white screen came up just as before. So, I will check the voltages as you suggested on the T-Con board.

Comment

jose6326: If you have a Gateway FPD1760 monitor, you can disassemble it as follows:
            1) Remove the two corner screws on the back at the bottom of the case.
            2) Separate the silver and black sided "picture frame" from the black plastic rear case with a stiff thin tool (like a metal putty knife). Start at the bottom in case you knick the frame a little while you learn how to do it. There are plastic retainer tabs all around the frame that must be separated in order to remove the frame from the back plastic rear case.

Comment

I swapped the LCD panels back to their original configuration and measured the voltage on the large IC4 voltage regulator near the TI chip on the T-Con board. It reads 3.32 volts on the output pin (center pin). The part number of that regulator is RT916A. One thing I may not have mentioned before is that the screen comes on white and shuts down in about 3 seconds. I guess that is because the monitor is not plugged in to the PC.

Comment

My last post said the regulator part number is RT916A. It is a RT9164A. Sorry...

Comment

I swapped the LCD panel with by good panel and the white screen came up just as before. So, I will check the voltages as you suggested on the T-Con board.
                  Then its not the Tcon problem anymore. Check the Dscaler board, and also try swapping the LVDS cables. That white screen means the Tcon isn't receiving any signals from the Dscaler side.

I swapped the LCD panels back to their original configuration and measured the voltage on the large IC4 voltage regulator near the TI chip on the T-Con board. It reads 3.32 volts on the output pin (center pin). The part number of that regulator is RT916A. One thing I may not have mentioned before is that the screen comes on white and shuts down in about 3 seconds. I guess that is because the monitor is not plugged in to the PC.
                  My last post said the regulator part number is RT916A. It is a RT9164A. Sorry...
                  It a LDO voltage regulator. Most Tcon main I.Cs runs on 3.3V and/or 1.8V only.

Comment

When I swapped the LCD panels, I removed the panel that is coming up with the white screen and installed it in place of the LCD panel on my other working Gateway monitor. As I mentioned before, the screen still came on white so I assumed that the problem was with the LCD panel or T-Con board. Was this not a correct assumption? I did not try to install the good LCD panel in place of the one I am getting the white screen on since I thought I had proven that the one panel was bad. Should I try anything else?

Comment

When I swapped the LCD panels, I removed the panel that is coming up with the white screen and installed it in place of the LCD panel on my other working Gateway monitor. As I mentioned before, the screen still came on white so I assumed that the problem was with the LCD panel or T-Con board. Was this not a correct assumption? I did not try to install the good LCD panel in place of the one I am getting the white screen on since I thought I had proven that the one panel was bad. Should I try anything else?
                      I see. I thought you swapped the working panel with the faulty monitor. Looks like a dead Tcon board on the faulty panel. You could try powering the Tcon board itself permanently on and see if any self test pattern comes up.

Comment

I agree and I should have explained more clearly what I did when I swapped the panel. How do I power up the T-Con board to check for a test pattern? I assume I would have to use a separate power suppply.

Comment

I agree and I should have explained more clearly what I did when I swapped the panel. How do I power up the T-Con board to check for a test pattern? I assume I would have to use a separate power suppply.
                          Two ways. First method is thru the LVDS cable by making the FET that controls the Tcon power supply rail to switch on permanently. This works well when the Dscaler board isn't working (e.g. got hit by lightning strike). The second method is to solder the power supply rails directly from the Dscaler board to the Tcon board (with a pair of wires) with the LVDS cable disconnected.

Comment

Working...
                          X