Cap suggestion please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap suggestion please help!

And now for something completely different...

I am rebuilding some speaker crossovers for some vintage ADS speakers and am wondering if anyone can track down the specs of the original caps, I believe they are both non polarized..

1) Nippon-chemicon Ce02P BP 100v33uf
    2)Nippon- chemicon Ce04P BP 100v130uf

Anyways, I am terrified that the sound will change if I choose an unsuitable cap... I want to keep the specs as close to original as possible...and I've heard the ESR rating affects the sound. I appreciate any advice or guidance,

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Re: Cap suggestion please help!

In most all brands 'BP' indicates Bi-Polar [not polarized].
    If so, the caps won't be marked for plus and minus. [No side stripe. No + or - symbols.]
    If that's what they are the replacement series from Chemicon are:
    SME-BP [85°C]
    KME-BP [105°C]
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Appears to be the case.
      http://www.wellgainelectronics.com/n...0vce02pbp.aspx
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by mad55 View Post
        I am rebuilding some speaker crossovers for some vintage ADS speakers ....
        Mike
        I was wondering what happened to initiate the rebuild? ADS's are great, with robust crossovers and rubber surrounds, so was there an issue with overdriving them?

Comment

Not all bipolar/non-polarised capacitors are created equal.
          Some are only designed for small signal applications, or horizontal deflection applications, or speaker crossover applications.
          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

If there is no evidence that the original caps are bad, why change them? You will not get "better" performance unless the originals are leaking or lost their value. There's no magic here and nothing to be terrified about. It is much more likely that your drivers need attention - have a look at the surrounds.
            Is it plugged in?

Comment

Working...
            X