Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e-waste recycling MY ASS

Originally posted by kc8adu
    are you going to personally police this? you have no control once you sell the stuff.
    Thats the entire problem right there. Would be best just to do it yourself, that is the only way you know how it is being broken down and what is happening to it. But it is very expensive.

Comment

Re: e-waste recycling MY ASS

My low cost repair hobby went up in smoke as there are several "recycle" companies now running all over my state grabbing everything. A couple simply grab it, slap "untested" on it and screw people for what ever they can get on auction. Another seems to be doing a legit reclaim on parts. The problem is they are all greedy, they think nothing of going into shops and such where I had a agreement to take donated equipment and steamrolling them into believing atht they are the only people to do the job. I would reuse, recycle, repair, sell some, donate others direct to kids and then take to recycle, often breaking drives down into platters, aluminum case, etc.

I have seem this repeatedly over the years. No one is interested in something until it becomes a fast buck opportunity, then they will trample someone who has been doing the job small scale and at low cost for years.

In case someone thinks this is simply about the money, I have built and donated roughly 60 systems to kids, sold 12, given hundreds of various video, net, and modem cards, memory and such. I did not try to make a fortune, it was just enough to keep family systems upgraded and have something to do (medical retirement sucks).

Comment

Working...
      X