This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
    Iwill DVD266u-RN if you're feeling adventurous of going DDR and assuming you can find one 😅
    I have one of those as well.....also with a voodoo5. Good luck ever finding another one though.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Decent haul of Apple stuff today. Hope you're sitting down for this one.

Apple Multiple Scan 15", possibly works. Comes up in standby with no computer connected.
      Gravis joystick for Macintosh, unknown.
      Macintosh Plus 1MB, non-functional. Smokes when power is applied, smells like capacitors. Comes with most of its manuals and documentation and all diskettes.
      Original Macintosh mouse, M0010, unknown.
      Original Macintosh keyboard, M0110, unknown. Switches feel fine.
      Apple StyleWriter 1200 (rebranded Canon Bubblejet thing), non-functional.
      Jasmine DirectDrive 45, partially working. Powers up, but the drive is completely screwed. Comes with manuals and all diskettes.
      Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
      RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
      Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
      - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
      - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
      - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
      - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Iwill DVD266u-RN if you're feeling adventurous of going DDR and assuming you can find one 😅
        I think I found the perfect board for this. Generation newer, dual, eATX........
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

More scores, HOLD ON TIGHT!

- Medion MT502 PC - nice little G33 based Core 2 Duo, MSI mobo, nVidia GPU, FSP PSU. Case looks sturdy and nice.

- OG Xbox - not sure what version it is

- 2x Maxtor Atlas SCSI HDDs - welp, I know what card I need to hunt next lol

- 45GB(wtf?) WD Caviar IDE

- 250GB 7200.10 Seagate that I have little hopes in getting to work

- nice ECS K7S5A mobo with fresh Luxons, none bulged, and what I think is either a Gecube or a Club3D 9600 Pro, as well as some strange networking card that looks absolute voodoo to me, aside from likely being gigabit (it has 1000 printed on it)

- Samsung R530 lappy that needs a charger (and I think I have one for it)

- Fujitsu Siemens Pa 2548 - Turion + 8400M G - not bad IMO, gotta check if it still works and isn't artefacting like roadkill.

- MINT condition QDI Legend V P6I440LX. A venerable peek into one of Lenovo's ancestors. Came w/ SL2W8 Deschutes P2 300 and 2x 128MB PC100.

- Spire SP-ATX-600W - nice and golden shining Topower unit, that just needs a cleanup as far as I can see. Love that it has velcros keeping them cabling together.
          Last edited by Dan81; 01-14-2024, 05:40 AM.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
          120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Don't bother with that Seagate, nearly every one from that era is either failing, has failed, or will fail. Showcase it or junk it.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

If I can get a useable drive out of it, I will bother with it. I'm not one to junk Seagates unless they're in terminal stages.

On that one the PCB has physical damage, not the platters.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

To update, some of these very nice:

- won an ad for a MSI 694D Pro-AR + 2x 1GHz P3 Coppermine + coolers + RAM + 40GB WD Caviar HDD.

- K7S5A is recapped, looks beautiful

- Seagate HDD was dead with clicks. Nothing of value was lost as it qas around $2 or so.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Moar updates!

Click image for larger versionName:	20240118_152131.jpgViews:	42Size:	1.87 MBID:	3181357 Click image for larger versionName:	20240118_152206.jpgViews:	42Size:	1.22 MBID:	3181358
                  The MSI has arrived. Someone strangely recapped it with not just OSTs. BUT OSTs FROM THE I.Q MERGER! WHY???
                  Anyways - all went off the board as soon as I could confirm it was running stable (which is surprising given the craptacular caps used.)
                  It's now running well with Rubycon pulls off a dead Xbox360, a few Panny FL for the smaller 1000uF RAM caps, and polys in place of the 470uF 16v caps.

Other stuff I received and wait to receive:

- Adaptec AHA-2940UWB SCSI adapter - works, very clean, came from a fellow retro tech collector and has been tested beforehand
                  - Seagate ST336607LW 36GB Ultra320 HDD - I know some of you will cringe at the thought of using a Seagate of all things- but it's better than nothing, given the Quantum drives are both dead, unfortunately - to add to the unfortunate events - SCSI HDDs are atrociously hard to find in the right format for the card you're using. Will likely be here following Monday or Tuesday.
                  - 486 kit consisting of: Aquarius MB-4D33/50NR, Trident TVGA9200 VLB GPU, "VLMIO" IDE controller (VLB too!), UMC NIC and 3com NIC - should be here tomorrow
                  - a whole grab bag of expansion cards, among which another Adaptec 2940UW resides (or at least I suspect it being a 2940UW, judging by the looks of it.) - also should be here tomorrow.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Vesko356; 01-23-2024, 11:38 AM. Reason: Images scaled
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Moar updates!

The MSI has arrived. Someone strangely recapped it with not just OSTs. BUT OSTs FROM THE I.Q MERGER! WHY???
                    Anyways - all went off the board as soon as I could confirm it was running stable (which is surprising given the craptacular caps used.)
                    It's now running well with Rubycon pulls off a dead Xbox360, a few Panny FL for the smaller 1000uF RAM caps, and polys in place of the 470uF 16v caps.

Other stuff I received and wait to receive:

- Adaptec AHA-2940UWB SCSI adapter - works, very clean, came from a fellow retro tech collector and has been tested beforehand
                    - Seagate ST336607LW 36GB Ultra320 HDD - I know some of you will cringe at the thought of using a Seagate of all things- but it's better than nothing, given the Quantum drives are both dead, unfortunately - to add to the unfortunate events - SCSI HDDs are atrociously hard to find in the right format for the card you're using. Will likely be here following Monday or Tuesday.
                    - 486 kit consisting of: Aquarius MB-4D33/50NR, Trident TVGA9200 VLB GPU, "VLMIO" IDE controller (VLB too!), UMC NIC and 3com NIC - should be here tomorrow
                    - a whole grab bag of expansion cards, among which another Adaptec 2940UW resides (or at least I suspect it being a 2940UW, judging by the looks of it.) - also should be here tomorrow.
                    Very nice....Anything dual CPU! Looks like I've rubbed off on you.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

My old Compaq is still running I.Q caps 25 years later.
                      Seagate ST336607LW 36GB Ultra320 HDD - I know some of you will cringe at the thought of using a Seagate of all things
                      Seagate was considered good back then. It's only some of the newer models that were unreliable... and I have a modern Seagate drive in my main system. ( again)

I'm not a good computer guy, and I still want a dual-CPU system.

Comment

lti - I suppose the Compaq's caps were before 2001. The ones I had were in OST's trademark blue with brown lettering sleeve - except they had OST and IQ's logo on them. Last time I remember finding them was on some Socket 462 Gigabyte board that had an AMD Northbridge and VIA 686B southbridge, and needless to say they were almost as nasty as GSC or Tayeh.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_213444.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	3181694
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_213832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	3181695
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_213816.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.23 MB ID:	3181696
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_213804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.60 MB ID:	3181697
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20240118_213824.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.79 MB ID:	3181698
                        The only caps left original are a few 100uF 25v caps - I couldn't find any suitable replacements yet.

About running the newer Seagates - I'm ashamed to admit I still run them. It's just way too tedious to clone them, as I have bought some WD Blacks and they sit doing nothing.

I'll get some photos of the OST caps later today, not sure if any of you encountered them.
                        Last edited by Vesko356; 01-23-2024, 11:36 AM. Reason: Images scaled
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

The caps in that Compaq are from 1999. I have seen those OST I.Q caps before, but I thought I.Q caps were always made by OST. There was weird stuff going on back then, like all of the Tayeh caps with identical markings to GSC except for the brand logo.

What's worse is the equally old Su'scon caps in that Compaq's power supply.

Windows is showing me the red "low free space" bar under the Seagate drive, so I might have to upgrade soon anyway. I'd like to go to SSDs for speed, but they're expensive and mostly QLC drives once you go over 2TB.

Comment

Not until 2000 or so they weren't part of OST, as far as I know. Same goes for G-Luxon - the green/silver LZ were absolute trash, but the black SM series that are post-Teapo merger have been great, at least for me - not as quality as japanese caps, but they do as equally fine as OST RLX do in RAM/PCI filtering. Of course, I wouldn't consider them anywhere near as good as the usual Panasonic/UCC/Rubycon are - but not anywhere as bad as Evercon/GSC/KZG/Tayeh/Jackcon either.

Topcat I'm glad you love it! I have been trying to treat myself most of the nice boards to get out of the ordinary stuff thru 2024.
                            Loved to fiddle with Cheepo and HoneyX BIOS yet again, as well as having fun reading up on 694D and 440BX dual-CPU madness .

Speaking of which, I have to get back to the BP6 sometimes, to have stable 100FSB operation on it.
                            I found out there are some caps to install on the back of the BX chipset, and I might have a good source on those SMDs - a old Fujitsu/NEC OEM'd Gigabyte 8SIML (SiS 650, nuff' said ) that surprisingly has had large pads and small SMD caps on the backside of both northbridge and southbridge.

Here's where I found the BX cap tidbit: http://www.finetune.jp/~lyuka/interests/pc/bp6.html
                            Main rig:
                            Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                            Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                            16GB DDR3-1600
                            Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                            Delux MG760 case

Comment

New scores for today:

- IBM 4.5GB SCSI 68pin HDD
                              - Bekom/Gericom 2440XL laptop (mobile Athlon XP 2400+ w/ Radeon 9000)
                              - PS2 phat, SCPH-39004 with nice DMS4 Pro chip
                              - 1GB worth of PC133 SDR, bumped up my dual Coppermine's RAM to a beautiful 1.75GB of RAM - still looking for another 512 to make a beautiful round 2GB. And awaiting a nice SCSI drive.
                              - Galaxy S3 GT-i9305 - unfortunately has strange display glitches and I'm not sure whether the board or the LCD is at fault
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Oh boy, I now figure I forgot posting the 486!

Attached Files
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

And crazy me finally tamed the 694D, as I am bringing a late-nite 3DMark 2001 session

Click image for larger versionName:	20240125_014654.jpgViews:	0Size:	2.53 MBID:	3203767
                                  Click image for larger versionName:	20240125_014659.jpgViews:	0Size:	2.46 MBID:	3203766
                                  Good god, getting that Radeon 9600 Pro to get along with the rest of the board was an absolute nightmare.
                                  Last edited by Vesko356; 01-24-2024, 06:17 PM. Reason: images scaled
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Good god, getting that Radeon 9600 Pro to get along with the rest of the board was an absolute nightmare.
                                    thats interesting... could u please start a separate thread and elaborate on what where the issues u faced and what u did to rectify them? i'd like to know and i see it will be useful to others too. i also use a radeon 9600 non-pro on my i815ep chipset p3 board and i dont have any problems with it. it just works right away out of the box upon driver installation. so i'd like to see and know if the via chipset boards have issues with their agp functionality.

Comment

I had to reoder the PCI cards for one, and remove some of the SDR sticks that tested bad (about two 512s and I think a 256 as well.).

By reordering I meant moving the cards as follows:

- USB card in PCI2 was swapped with the LAN card next to it and viceversa (LAN card is in PCI3)
                                      And that's about it. 4th PCI slot is now populated by an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card to which I have a Seagate Cheetah 10k ST336607LW connected.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

One 10k SCSI drive wasn't 'nuff for the dual CPU beast. So I yanked out the Raptor. *cue actual velociraptor sounds *

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	3208220
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Mega score from a medical facility today

Several 11th gen I5 HP Elitebooks, mint condition & working.
                                          A bunch of newer HP smaller laser printers
                                          A box full of M.2 & SSD's ranging from 512gb to 1TB
                                          Bunch of small workstations; pretty shelled out; probably bad motherboards....but I scavenged RAM and a bunch of gen 8~12 I7 and Xeon CPU's.
                                          Of course the usual breeder stuff; cables, keyboards, mice, and broken monitors.

I'm contractually obligated to destroy the drives....kind of a bummer to waste them....but it's what I agreed to do... The rest of the haul will make up for it.
                                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                          Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                          X