Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell Precision 670n workstation cpu fans a blazen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Precision 670n workstation cpu fans a blazen...

First off; I'm brand new to this forum and would like to say hey to everyone.

I got a retired 670 workstation with dual xeon 3.0 cpu's with 4gb of ram from work that I've been playing around with using Pinguy Linux 64 bit OS. I wanted to add ram to it and ended up buying 8gb and installed a spare fan above the ram because these beasts won't boot without the ram fan if you go over 4gb. I had been running the workstation with the spare AGP fan from a 650 workstation for over a week so I know it was okay that way.

Everything was fine the evening I installed the 8gb of ram, but the next day when I turned it on I thought the computer was going to lift off my desk the fans were so loud. My wife came into the room wondering what was going on as she heard it from across the house.

Tried everything I could think of including re-installing the old ram but I still get the yellow C light indicating a problem with the system board.

I'm writing to ask if anyone knows for sure if this computer really needs a new system board (motherboard) or if it's just bad caps.

Any advise or what to try next would be greatly appreciated. I really miss my fast quad machine.

Randy

Re: Dell Precision 670n workstation cpu fans a blazen...

Have you examined the caps? If they're domed & bloated, that's 100% your problem. The precision 670 was a very common one for the plague.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Re: Dell Precision 670n workstation cpu fans a blazen...

^ agreed. At my work we probably went through 50 or so 670s with bad caps.

Comment

Working...
      X