Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

failing hard drives after sitting for years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: failing hard drives after sitting for years...

Originally posted by RetroComputingGrotto View Post
    Sometimes if a hard disk has been sitting for several decades the read/write heads can get stuck so some 'gentle persuasion' is required...

I've had this happen too. Mostly seems to be a Maxtor/Quantum "thing", but any HDD with an on-disk head parking area is susceptible to this. The ones that shouldn't have this issue are HDDs with dedicated head parking ramps off the disk, like IBM/Hitachi. That said, I'm surprised you found a laptop HDD with this issue. Most laptop HDDs I've opened had dedicated head parking ramps (though certainly not all of them.)

Originally posted by RetroComputingGrotto View Post
    I have a collection of over 350 retro/vintage laptops a lot of which are 20-30 years old (I got a job lot from a bloke at a car boot sale for around £75 per 100 old laptops) - 75% came with hard disk drives and the vast majority still work!
    Nice score on those laptops.

I also got 2 large boxes full of old PII/3 Dell Latitude CPi/CPx. Got them over a decade ago as e-scrap from the IT dept. of a place I volunteered. Didn't think of them much back then, but figured they might be worth something someday when they get old enough and since they are built well and have serial/parallel ports. Some years ago, I went ahead and put an OS on all of them that could to get them tested and possibly ready for sale. Haven't tried selling any yet, though. But last I checked, all of the HDDs I put in them worked OK, and all of the HDDs I used were about the same age as the systems (i.e. 20+ years now.) No issue with any of them whatsoever, though I'm keeping an eye on a few of the IBM/Hitachi Travelstars that are known to have problems. I'm expecting all of those to fail with use / enough hours. But just sitting the way they are in a box - probably will be fine as is for a long time.

Comment

Working...
    X