acer AL2416w HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acer AL2416w HELP

MY ACER al2416w FLAT SCREEN MONITOR TURNING ON AND OFF THE SCREEN LOOKS GOOD JUST SHUTS OFF AND BACK ON MAY STAY ON FOR A WHILE THEN STARTS DOING IT AGAIN MAYBE IT MIGHT BE THE CAPASITORS IN THE POWER SUPPLY BOARD ????

Re: acer AL2416w HELP

Please post photos of the power supply board, it may well be the capacitors.

Also, please don't shout.

Comment

OK I WILL TRY TO UPLOAD A PHOTO sorry didnt mean to shout.........

Comment

Badcaps: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor
        sig files are for morons

Comment

thanks for the info severach whitch capasitors do you think would be causing my turning on and off problem..tks

Comment

What do you mean by "off?" Is the power going off or is the screen backlight going off but the display is always visible with a light shined on it?

No way to tell what the problem is without some diagnosis. My post gives you things to look for. Is your power board outfitted with Rubycon YXG caps or did Acer put lower quality caps in? Do your boards look anything like mine and have the same part numbers? Do your inverter caps have blown bungs, domed tops, or have heat discoloration? Are the MOSFETs shorted?
            sig files are for morons

Comment

when it shuts off the screen goes off and the lite on the button where you turn it in goes off and on by its self when it comes back on you see the acer logo then off again its like your pushing the off button on and off repedidly .yeah board looks like yours .i will get some pics of it .

Comment

I have fixed some of these by replacing 8-10 caps and the shorted FETs on the inverter board. There are two groups of 4 100uF 35v elect. glued together that need replacing. You can check the surface mount FETs with an ohmmeter for shorts. There are two other caps on the board that are usually high esr.
                Mike

Comment

ok thanks im going to change them caps see what happends .....

Comment

Originally posted by mcfischer View Post
                    I have fixed some of these by replacing 8-10 caps and the shorted FETs on the inverter board. There are two groups of 4 100uF 35v elect. glued together that need replacing. You can check the surface mount FETs with an ohmmeter for shorts. There are two other caps on the board that are usually high esr.
                    Mike
                    A question and an observation here. I have the TDK TBD292LF inverter board to the AL2416W. It has 2 banks of 4 caps, and two more just hanging around. The center bank of 4 and the two caps just hanging around are F2056, while the other 4 closer to the end are labeled F2079, and are obviously blown on my board. All 10 caps are 35V 100uF, and all by the same maker. I didn't notice this at first, so I may end up having to order a few different caps to try out...

Now, for my question. This pertains to checking the surface-mount FETs for shorts. What will be shorted? one pin to the other? one pin to the tab? the other pin to the tab?

Comment

Originally posted by BShanahan14rulz View Post
                      Now, for my question. This pertains to checking the surface-mount FETs for shorts. What will be shorted? one pin to the other? one pin to the tab? the other pin to the tab?
                      Identify the FET by looking for its datasheet. You can find this using your favourite search engine.

The datasheet will tell you what pins are Source, Gate, and Drain because FETs can come in many shapes, sizes, and configurations. For example, I helped someone just yesterday with a 5 legged FET. I have also seen 8 legged FETs.

This is how I test FETs in circuit. Others may have different methods. Test ohms between S-G, S-D, G-D. Any ohms measurement less than 100 ohms is suspicious. To verify, you must measure them out of circuit to ensure that surrounding components are not affecting the measurements.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I am also having this problem with my Acer AL2416W monitor, originally had a shorted FET and popped caps on the inverter board and would not turn on. I have already replaced the shorted FET's and all the capacitors on the inverter board. It seems like a power supply issue, as it does turn off and then back on immediately. Usually does it most often when there is a lot of movement on screen. (GPU benchmarking and gaming) Might just start recapping the power supply and see what happens.

Comment

Found a personally known to be faulty G-LUXON 10v 1000uf cap, as well as a CAPXON 50v220uf cap that I always question, since I have seen hundreds of these dang things go bad in monitors, and replaced them.They weren't blown, but I figured they might be on their way out. Same problem... Still shutting off when there's a lot of movement on screen- browsing the web and desktop is fine- it hasn't shut off in at least 20 minutes of sitting here surfing the net, but here is what it does when I'm gaming or benchmarking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iuHPy-WQbA

Comment

Hi Did you replace with good named brand caps. Do you think it could be an overheating problem- have you tried with a fan on it. hecked all your solder joints.
                            Perhaps resolder joints on transformers , reseat all cables ,check the fuse is in tight. Presume you have read severachs epic thread on this monitor.
                            Please can you update your profile with Country and mains voltage
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Yes I used good quality low ESR caps for the job, and I have checked the solder joints, fuses, and cables over a few times now, but to update everyone, there has been no progress on this one yet. It doesn't seem like its gotten any worse, but it still gets me killed every time I'm trying to play a game, which is very frustrating. I have recently retired it, until I can sort out whats going on with it... I may just have to break down, crack it back open and do some more testing!!!

Comment

Tested all my power supply voltages, and according to the service manuals specs, they are checking out. Only thing that I can think of, are possibly some bad caps on the logic board is causing it to go into protection mode, or its possibly overheating... I am running it with the metal shield and back cover removed, and am running my usual benchmark that likes to cause the issue. I haven't had a shutdown once yet, and its been running about 20 minutes so far.
                                Last edited by s_carter; 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X