Samsung plasma PN50C550G1F/ Sound, no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung plasma PN50C550G1F/ Sound, no picture

Thanks tom, Yes it is odd, My brother stoppped over to see how things were going, and when he saw all the lines on the picture, said thats not what he had said video just went off one day while watching. I did notice that the ribbon connectors are loose when seated. your can rock them a little. I checked the ribbons for any damage with a magnifying glass, I can't see any damage. This set is very poorly made If you ask me, and has been an odd ball from the start. do you honestly think it could be the y buffer board, as I don't want sink any more money into boards. I have 23 so far and could possibly get the y buffer for another 30 or so. The connector just presses on and is fully seated to the bottom part of the connector on the y main board. It can't go down any further. I could check y buffer for bad IC's but, I have no idea on how to do this one, It is one single board with 12 panasonic IC's on them. The market is flooded with these boards so, If I get a y buffer, and have no luck with it I'll have a lot of boards to sell I guess. TV's are a hard sell around here, nobody buying anything, at this point. I enjoy playing with these sets, and appreciate all your time and help, great learning experience. Thanks to all of you.

Comment

Well I pulled the y buffer today for a check and it's bad I have ton of OL readings along with voltages in the line from 753 -720 range. I check them in diode mode. Readings look like this. 753,732 754 ,745,OL,OL OL 734, 736, OL,OL, and so on. switch probes and all readings are OL as they should be. I did all the connectors and same results a reading with probes one way, OL when switched. all the connectors showed readings and OL as above. I assume this is bad because I should get readings on all pins not OL and when I switch probes I should get OL. I hope I did this correctly, if not please explain. I watched several vids posted here. Thanks again, George

Comment

Did you perhaps ever reseat the connectors while the set was live?
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

No, Tom, I never make any changes while set is energized. I usually wait a good hour or so to unplug or re plug any connectors. Some times over night. I'm in no hurry, have plenty of time to work on set. Thanks, George

Comment

Well, given your tests, I would try a buffer board. If you buy it from ShopJimmy or other good suppliers, they'll accept returns, if you pay postage costs both ways, I think it is worth the risk for a 50" 1080p plasma TV. (Given they have stopped making plasmas, which are great displays. There's nothing commercially available anymore that can replicate the picture quality on a plasma.)
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom, Thanks for you expertise.I was thinking the same thing.I know I didn't do anything to cause this fault.I never unplug or connect connectors while set is energized. I always wait at least one hour before doing anything new, never in a hurry.I was extra careful doing the ribbon connectors,as what happened to the LG is still fresh in my mind. The couple of bucks spent here is no big deal, The worse case senarieo is, I'll have a few boards to sell eventually. but I need to know for sure, before I part it out.If It turns out to be a shorted out panel, at least I know I tried, and learned a little more, Thanks to you and all the others on Bad caps, Thanks again for all the help and have a great holiday!

Comment

While waiting on my new y buffer board,I received my new 5A fuse for the old main logic board. I want to solder on new fuse to old board and check if board is ok. What precautions should I take, as I do not want to do any further damage to set. Can this be done safely?What to disconnect to check if old main logic board is ok.Thanks

Comment

I would check the resistance between both ends of the fuse and ground. I say both because I don't know which end is coming from the power supply and which is going to the board.

If you get a low ohms reading, something is shorted and replacing the fuse will be a waste of time.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Thanks Agent24, I will check that before I put fuse on. My board should be here by Thurs this week, Thanks all.

Comment

UP DATE BAD PANEL, no change with new buffer board, still have the horizontal black and white lines across the screen. I want to thank everyone for all the help, could not do it without you all, Parts anyone. Thanks again, George

Comment

AVOID SAMSUNG LIKE THE PLAGUE. They make garbage, and we still keep buying it. I'm looking to start a class action law suit against Samsung. Going to post all over the Web. Somebody has to start fighting back!

Comment

Samsung are pretty bad. In general their higher end plasmas are good but their budget ones are awful for reliability.

At least you know everything except the panel is good so you can sell the bits with more confidence.

Comment

Working...
                          X