Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2216W Repair Question

Cheers!

I have an Acer Al2216w 22" Widescreen monitor that I've had for a number of years. Over the past few weeks it has begun to act up in a manner that has lead me to believe that it has a faulty PCB. I pulled it apart and examined all the components and decided that I felt comfortable replacing the PCB my self, but when I checked E-Bay (and the internet in general) I was unable to find the same PCB.

Currently I have a DAC-19M009BF and all I can find are DAC-19M010BF boards. So the question is, will I have a problem if I replace the 09BF with a 10BF?

Apparently the 10BFs replaced the 09BFs in later models of the same monitor, so I would assume it would work, but my knoweldge of electronics at this level is limited.

Thanks!

Re: Acer AL2216W Repair Question

Incase anyone is wondering, the problem I'm having is that whenever I turn the monitor on, it takes 5-10 minutes to actually power on, flashing the Acer logo multiple times until finally staying on. And when it is on, it lets out a faint buzzing sound.

Comment

Originally posted by EvanJO View Post
      Incase anyone is wondering, the problem I'm having is that whenever I turn the monitor on, it takes 5-10 minutes to actually power on, flashing the Acer logo multiple times until finally staying on. And when it is on, it lets out a faint buzzing sound.
      It could be capacitors. You will have to open up the monitor and look at them.

For best picture quality and clarity take your boards to a window on a sunny day, turn flash off, and use macro mode. Take a top down view of all your boards (front and back). Make sure the photo is legible so that we can read the PCB printing clearly. A shutter speed of 1/125 or faster will produce nice clear focused pictures. Try to get a photo that is 2000x2000 resolution or as close as possible.

Here is an example of the pictures we want.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...94&postcount=1

You can post pictures here and member can help you. Please follow the guidelines in my sig file below.
      Last edited by retiredcaps; 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Oh I'm 99% sure it's that the capacitors on the board are bad, but it's 15 bucks or so for the replacement kit or 25 for the PCB, and seeing as how I've used a soldering iron a grand total of once in my entire life, I figured it would be a safer bet just to buy the PCB.

But I'll pull it apart again and take a picture for ya.

Comment

but it's 15 bucks or so for the replacement kit or 25 for the PCB,
          Just make sure the replacement board doesn't have any bad caps on it. Ask for a picture of the actual item, not some stock photo.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
            Just make sure the replacement board doesn't have any bad caps on it. Ask for a picture of the actual item, not some stock photo.
            Yeah I have already done so, but will the 10BF work in place of a 09BF? That was my main question all along :p

Comment

Yeah I have already done so, but will the 10BF work in place of a 09BF? That was my main question all along :p
              I can't say 100% with certainity.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

but it's 15 bucks or so for the replacement kit
                BTW, if you build and order your own caps from digikey.com, the costs could be as low as $7 or $8.

We have done some comparisons with the "bundled" kits on ebay vs DIY and it is usually about 50% cheaper and you are likely to get better caps with DIY.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  BTW, if you build and order your own caps from digikey.com, the costs could be as low as $7 or $8.

We have done some comparisons with the "bundled" kits on ebay vs DIY and it is usually about 50% cheaper and you are likely to get better caps with DIY.
                  Oh word? I'll probably just end up doing that then...it can't be that hard to desolder and solder new capacitors.

Comment

Oh word? I'll probably just end up doing that then...it can't be that hard to desolder and solder new capacitors.
                    Here is the thread discussing the $$$ (post #16)

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16643

There are videos and tutorials on how to solder at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=485
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Posting on recent related topic- hope that's alright.

I have an AL2216W that is experiencing similar issues as the others I've searched for on this forum:

- Plugged in to known good sources, and does not find signal.
                      - Powered on gives green light, and shortly goes to orange after "not finding signal"

I disassembled the monitor and got a picture of the board, and I've circled what I believe to be the bad caps in red. Board looks good overall, no burns and no scratched runs on the back. No picture of the back, but if it's required I can get one.

I assume the next steps are to hit up digikey and purchase some replacement caps and go to town and see what happens... I just wanted to come here first to make sure I'm not missing anything.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
                        I've circled what I believe to be the bad caps in red.
                        Correct. Those are the ones that are obviously bad.

I just wanted to come here first to make sure I'm not missing anything.
                        Since 4 of the 9 (not counting the big one) are bad, most here will recommend that you replace them all. Capxon are very poor quality caps.

Capacitors (C designation on the PCB board) die from age, heat, and shoddy build quality. Capacitors DO NOT have to be visibly bloated in order to bad. They can be out of tolerance uF (a 1000uF measures 20uF) and/or have high ESR (ohm). A multimeter will be insufficient to test for ESR. For that you need an ESR tester which costs between $50 and $300.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by jgust25 View Post
                          Posting on recent related topic- hope that's alright.

I have an AL2216W that is experiencing similar issues as the others I've searched for on this forum:

- Plugged in to known good sources, and does not find signal.
                          - Powered on gives green light, and shortly goes to orange after "not finding signal"

I disassembled the monitor and got a picture of the board, and I've circled what I believe to be the bad caps in red. Board looks good overall, no burns and no scratched runs on the back. No picture of the back, but if it's required I can get one.

I assume the next steps are to hit up digikey and purchase some replacement caps and go to town and see what happens... I just wanted to come here first to make sure I'm not missing anything.
                          A few points.

This board has 10 electrolytic caps; 4 are obviously bad. The 120uF, 400V one seldom has problems. It is strongly recommended you replace the other 9 if you are planning on using this monitor for a few more years.

When selecting caps, make sure you are getting low ESR caps such as Panasinic FM or FR series.

PlainBill
                          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Hi

We had the same problem with the capacitors being bad. We replaced them and then when we turned on the monitor it flashed the back light on and off ever second or two. Then we turned it off and then back on. Now it does not flash or do anything any more. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by trains58554 View Post
                              Do you have any suggestions?
                              1) Post top down view pictures of boards following my sig file exactly.

2) What brand and series did you use for replacements?

3) Do you have a multimeter?
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) I will get some picture in the morning.

2) Here is the site we order the cap kit from http://lcdalternatives.auctivacommer...-P1660133.aspx

3) Yes

Comment

Originally posted by trains58554 View Post
                                  3) Yes
                                  1) Check to see if you have 5V DC on the connector between the power board and logic board.

2) Does the power LED stay on? If yes, what color?

3) Do you have a working PC connected to the lcd?
                                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-11-2012, 11:55 PM.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

1) I am not getting anything where I should be getting 5v to the logic board.

2) the power led does not come on I do not know what color it was when it first turned on as I did not look at that.

3) the monitor is not connected to any computer and has not yet been connected.

I will upload the pictures shortly.

Comment

Ok here are the pictures of the power and logic boards.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Since it sounds like you're getting no power, with your meter set to 200VDC measure across the leads of the large 450V cap. You should read approx. 120VAC x 1.414= 170VDC. BE CAREFUL! You're dealing with high voltage. Avoid having your probes come in contact with the heatsink above the cap.

Comment

Working...
                                        X