Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth in storage capacity

http://youtu.be/TumFouQyIjA

When it comes to advertised storage capacity, consumers deserve the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Truth in storage capacity

Why not go after monitor manufacturers too ? Measuring screen size diagonally to boost their numbers. Then there's wood, a 2x4 isnt, its 1.5x3.5. I'm sure there's plenty more counting on a different scale !

Comment

Re: Truth in storage capacity

Pointless video.

Customers deserve the truth, of course, but they're not lied to.

Pretty much all hard drives have written on them that 1 MB equals 1.000.000 bytes so the hard drive manufacturers don't lie about the capacity. After all, mega is "one million" , not 1.048.576.

Since 2000, the MiB is standardized (mebibyte), which is 2 to the power of 20 or 1.048.576

So operating systems should actually change MB to MiB but people are so accustomed to the old MB notation it would be too confusing nowadays to change everything.

As it is now, both parties are using correct values, just displayed in different measurement units.

I would agree with you if you'd complain that Microsoft is selling "Surface" with an advertise 32 GB storage but user finds out only about 16 GB is available, the rest being used by the operating system. That would be annoying imho.

As a food for though, should we complain about the disk space used by the file system?

On a 1 TB NTFS formatted drive, you may get up to a few hundred megabytes of disk space used or reserved by the file system - should that disk space be deducted from the total disk capacity considering it's not writable by the user?

(sidenote... i think i said in a previous comment the same... your videos are weird, hard to watch... you're frozen in place without any body movement or gestures and you're talking while reading from something off camera...
      IMHO videos should be done while you look at the camera at least from time to time and be a bit more personal, the video doesn't bring anything new if I get the same from it as if I would listen to an audio recording
      They don't look professional because you speak fluently, monotonously.)

Comment

Working...
      X