X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: win xp pro 64 on a x86 pro COA

Originally posted by ratdude747
    hell no.

kde: a desktop with a goofy "k" fetish, and looks way too much like windows. i like the look of gnome and i have had no complaints about karmic. and i know amd 64 is what i want, that is what i installed.

the only reason i even wanted to run windows was for the rare times that i had to run it; i primarily use ubuntu.
    I also used to prefer Gnome over KDE but Gnome is just too neglected. It's not updated enough to be a viable GUI. KDE OTOH has improved by leaps and bounds and I like the fact that I can make it feel like Windows. Windows has the best UI hands down. In fact that's why I used to use Gnome when Sarge was out because Gnome you could configure to be a lot more like Windows.

Yes, I love booting into Lenny, my laptop runs cooler, faster, and it's a pleasure to use and play around with. But consider this. There's no Shockwave Player for Linux right now, so I can't play Disc Pool, and it doesn't bother me to have Vista installed. In fact, I boot to Debian from the Vista menu.

If I start doing my video encoding, I will probably do it on Debian if I can find that GUI for Hencode available for Linux.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Just a correction: There is a stand-alone shockwave player for Linux, but no plugin for Firefox.

This game seems to use a hybrid of flash/shockwave. If you can get it to work in Linux you'll be my hero. It freezes in the loading stage.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

look. i installed kde to my netbook running ubuntu 9.10. i tried it, it was not my thing. the layout was not to my liking (i LIKE multiple panels) and the damn oxygen theme looked like crap to me.

i used to like the windows ui setup, then then i came to like the mac-windows hybrid look of gnome. the only reason i liked windows in the first place is was i was used to it. now that i use ubuntu, i just feels almost awkward using windows.

most of my gaming is native stuff:

minesweeper
        solitare
        foobillard (love it)
        frets on fire (i suck at it)
        TORCS

i do some flash:

youtube
        splitter 2
        cargo bridge

oh, have you heard of BURG? it is a new graphical bootloader. Install instructions for (k)ubuntu i like the ubuntu2 theme, but that is just me. sounds like you might like it; it is the reason why i added xp back to my netbook.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm quite comfortable with the Vista bootloader. All you have to do is copy the first 512 KB of the Linux partition into a file and then add an entry to the Vista BCD. When I boot Linux I select Debian from the Vista Menu and then Grub2 comes up and gives me a choice between Debian and Vista.

But you can't boot Vista from grub like you used to do with XP. Took me several installs to figure this out and I thought I almost lost my Vista partition for a moment but everything was safe thankfully.

So far I've tried OpenArena and some other stuff. Open Arena runs very nice on an Intel X3100 (965g) videocard. Knock on wood.

Comment

MS Licensing is like a bible to them.

your old XP COA from the dell box is almost useless, it should allow a phone activation.

If your using a Dell computer (MB) for this then you have to do is add apropriate oembios files to your media and your oem offline activated.

If not a dell, some concept applies to other manufacturers, or you can make your system look like a dell or another manufacture.

have a looky here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457078.aspx
            and yes you can use those keys, manufacturer independant, AS LONG AS your system (mb dmi system string) and media (oembios) match

Also, if not mistaken, windows xp overwrites the current bootloader with its own when you install (NTLDR)

Comment

Originally posted by mattch
              your old XP COA from the dell box is almost useless, it should allow a phone activation.
              It's been hit or miss on those. I've used keys off scrap machines to load non-OEM machines with XP. Most activated just fine, a select few I had to call India to get the activation key.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

thats good to know in a pinch

Comment

Actually, XP x64 does not perform WGA checks when you perform updates so you can use any serial number you want.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
                    Actually, XP x64 does not perform WGA checks when you perform updates so you can use any serial number you want.
                    that sounds to good to be true

Comment

that sounds to good to be true
                      Fortunately it is. I've done this twice with what I think were Retail copies.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
                        Fortunately it is. I've done this twice with what I think were Retail copies.
                        Interesting, from my expiriance i got the pleasure of dealing with WGA garbage upon tryign to get updates... one of which retail and the other oem. Perhaps your machine is preactivated so you dont notice that?

I assume activation was no problem either. did you have to activate that? If not that explains it. If you did then idk its friday and almost that time

Comment

Interesting, from my expiriance i got the pleasure of dealing with WGA garbage upon tryign to get updates... one of which retail and the other oem. Perhaps your machine is preactivated so you dont notice that?

I assume activation was no problem either. did you have to activate that? If not that explains it. If you did then idk its friday and almost that time
                          I don't recall whether or not I had to activate, but updates were no problem at all.

Comment

WGA checks only refer to updating or auto updates, it has nothing to do with installing the product. Corp and VLK versions do not do a WGA but you can not just install a copy of XP 64 with any key.

Once it is installed you might be able to change it to another key if you want and keep it active. You will need a key that matches the media for the first install and that is not a WGA check on any version of windows.

Comment

Working...
                            X