Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 60PS8000 Plasma - Blue Solarized Strange Picture

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, as this is my first post here. I'd just like to take the time to thank everyone here for their vast wealth of knowledge that can be found on this site. It has made for very interesting reading.

The fault I am looking for help with is that I am getting a blue solarized effect across the whole screen. It seems to be concentrated on darker areas of the picture. (As shown in attached picture).

I have tried a factory reset from the standard menu with no change.
    I have a code to enter an installation mode, ie. hold down menu - 1105 OK.
    But there is little to change in this menu. (Hotel Mode etc)
    I know this fault can occur when the AV board is set to output to a different size of panel, but I can't find a service menu that allows me to change this.

I have been reading up on here a fair bit and from my research I believe I may have a faulty control / T-Con board? Could anyone help me to confirm this?

I have re-seated all cables between all boards (apart from the ribbons between the Y-Sus & Buffer boards / Z-Sus & Buffer Boards.

I have tested the Vs & Va Voltages.
    Recommended Settings Vs - 68 / Va - 194
    Actual Voltage Found Vs - 64 / Va - 201

I have adjusted the voltages so that they are now correct. However, this has had no effect on the picture.

There are 4 adjustment controls on the Y-Sus which for the moment I have left well alone.

There are 2 LED's on the control board itself. One of which stays on permanently. The other does a long blink, followed by a short blink and then repeats in cycles of 2.
    I know that the LED's can sometimes read out error codes, however I'm not sure if this is just normal operation?

The chap this TV has come from has informed me that the AV Board was faulty, but from what I have been reading, this seems unlikely. Could anyone help confirm this? I don't think he was a particularly technical person.

There are plenty of Control / T-Con Boards available second hand for reasonable prices so i am happy to replace it. I just thought I would check with people here to see that it is the most likely culprit before shelling out the money.

Any help, advice or guidance would be very greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,
    Regards,
    George.
    Attached Files

Re: LG 60PS8000 Plasma - Blue Solarized Strange Picture

This does look like a main board problem. We have seen similar issues on a similar model before, on 50PS80.

I had a 50PS3000 (same panel and family, 50" and not THX, but basically identical) and the LED did the same thing.

Try this: On the control board (the one with the blinking LED) there is a header marked AUTO_GEN. Use a piece of wire or alligator clip to jumper the 1st and 2nd pins. (Pin 1 marked by arrow.) Unplug the silver cable between the main A/V and control board. Then plug the TV on and take it out of standby, you should get cycling test patterns on the display.
    Last edited by tom66; 08-10-2014, 04:09 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It looks like an LVDS signal problem, I've seen this a lot on LCD displays most noticeable on lowlight areas of the picture. The problem could be any from a bad LVDS cable (you say you've reseated the cables), possibly try cleaning/testing continuity of the individual connections from this cable. Other than that it is likely one out of the 3 areas, either the cable itself (continuity check should reveal), the main board, or the control board.

The post above should help confirm that the fault is not the panel or drive sections.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Many Thanks for such quick replies.

Tom - I have done as you said and generated the test pattern. All of which comes through absolutely fine. No solarizing on the picture whatsoever.

Does this confirm that it is indeed the AV Board?

Clyde - I have re-seated all the cables on the control board and AV board. I cleaned the LVDS Cable at both ends, but have not run a continuity test on the cable. The cable looks to be perfectly fine, is it common for a cable like this to fail?

I can (I think) get a new AV Board for around £28 so fairly inexpensive really.

Would you recommend trying this first?

Again, I greatly appreciate your help with this.

Regards,
        George.

Comment

I have encountered LVDS cables failing, however I have found in all cases, if they are moved they start working (if only briefly.) So I would go for the A/V board at this point in time.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
          X