Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How I made a PowerBook G4 awesome again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I made a PowerBook G4 awesome again!

Yesterday my uncle gave me some random laptops he didn't need anymore.
    Among them was a PowerBook G4... it's a totally beast computer with 1680x1050 resolution, a huge screen, and a very messed up battery...

It ran OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and it was ssslllooowww... Opening Firefox 3.6.10 (for some reason I couldn't update more) took like 30 seconds. It's got a 120G hard drive, and after removing 85GB of crap (4GB free) I had more than 91GB free. I removed a bunch of the crap I didn't need, but it was still extremely so.

Then I had an idea. What about Linux?
    Googling "PowerPC Linux" eventually got me to a download page for Ubuntu 10.10 PowerPC. I downloaded it, burned it, and booted the PowerBook from it. The installation went well, and it ACTUALLY WORKS!

Even better, this computer (keep in mind it has a 1.67GHz CPU) Can run Firefox 3.6.24 (latest version of 3.6, the newer version I couldn't get to install and it is too bloated anyway)...
    It's much much much much faster, and Ubuntu includes full support for sound and wireless!

Now I have a nice huge laptop that's very fast!
    Now, If only I could get the trackpad to work...

Re: How I made a PowerBook G4 awesome again!

Nice find but you will be disappointed to know that flash doesn't work because PPC Ubuntu isn't supported by Adobe.

I believe the trackpad could get working if you run an update...

Here's what I would do:

-Install Leopard OS X 10.5 (let me know if you need a link)

-Install El Camino instead of FF, seriously, it's a looooooooooooooot faster!

PPC 1.67Ghz is plenty for basic needs. Believe me.

Comment

Nah, I'm not going to bloated Mac OS X
      This computer with the 1.67 PCC running PPC Ubuntu is faster than the MacBook Core Duo running Snow Leopard I also got

Yeah, the updates fixed the trackpad.

Right now I'm using the Toshiba L25 I also got...

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        Nah, I'm not going to bloated Mac OS X
        This computer with the 1.67 PCC running PPC Ubuntu is faster than the MacBook Core Duo running Snow Leopard I also got

Yeah, the updates fixed the trackpad.

Right now I'm using the Toshiba L25 I also got...
        How's YouTube and flash working?

Comment

Working...
        X