Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: some dead capacitors in a 9v 2.6A power supply

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
    Need a capacitor company whose founder is "BA" and add some breakfast meat compounds into the electrolyte. Then when the cheap cap explodes, at least it will smell tasty.

Then label their caps "BAcon".
    I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Some cheap chinese power supplies are doomed, as the caps are simply too small - physically and electrically, to last. It has little to do with the make/brand of the cap, more to do with the ripple/ESR heating.
      I would look at the ripple current spec. - here it's quite high for most caps, especially at 2.6A output split over 2x1,000uF+220uF low-profile parts.
      Sometimes I add an extra bulk capacitance on the output when I need long life.

Panasonic EEU-FR1C102 1,000uF 16V D=10mm H=16mm 1.79A ripple 8,000hrs

P.S. I prefer a "POPcorn" capacitor brand over "BAcon" brand. If you smell popcorn, it's over

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
        Some cheap chinese power supplies are doomed, as the caps are simply too small - physically and electrically, to last. It has little to do with the make/brand of the cap, more to do with the ripple/ESR heating.
        I would look at the ripple current spec. - here it's quite high for most caps, especially at 2.6A output split over 2x1,000uF+220uF low-profile parts.
        Sometimes I add an extra bulk capacitance on the output when I need long life.

Panasonic EEU-FR1C102 1,000uF 16V D=10mm H=16mm 1.79A ripple 8,000hrs

P.S. I prefer a "POPcorn" capacitor brand over "BAcon" brand. If you smell popcorn, it's over
        I'm not sure how this thread is still alive.
        I already have an order ready to be placed.
        This thread is clinging onto life by a thread.

One idea i had was to take a bunch of chinese capacitors and put them on a frying pan and watch them pop like popcorn.
        Last edited by RukyCon; 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
          I'm not sure how this thread is still alive.
          I already have an order ready to be placed.
          This thread is clinging onto life by a thread.

One idea i had was to take a bunch of chinese capacitors and put them on a frying pan and watch them pop like popcorn.
          Frying pan caps, that's a new one. Make a video. I'll send you a fuckton of shit caps if you want.
          Popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzie366 View Post
            Frying pan caps, that's a new one. Make a video. I'll send you a fuckton of shit caps if you want.
            I'll think about it

Comment

I know it's been a year since i made this but i finally got around to fixing this stupid thing and it works. (even when it's under full load)
              Photo of the new caps....

I removed as much of the cheap gule as i could and i'm currently waiting for some silicone glue to cure.
              The silicone glue is made for electronics and i used it on a different power supply and it did not do any harm.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X