2 HDD failures in two days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 HDD failures in two days

I've been hit with not one, but two HDD failures over this week. Seagate and WD can both cop a smack on the backside with a wooden spoon here. The PC was my brother's. It sees a few hours of use daily, either on the net or light gaming. Since he doesn't store much on it, 80GB HDDs have been enough. A few days ago, the PC wouldn't boot (started boot-looping), so I ran a HDD test with Seatools and it failed. The HDD was a Seagate 7200.9. I was able to Ghost it to another HDD. The only spare one I had on hand was an 80GB WD Caviar SE (WD800AAJS). The next day, it died also, with a similar problem - The PC was boot-looping and it failed a diagnostic test, although this time around, I couldn't ghost it, so I replaced the HDD with the 320GB WD that used to be in my main rig until about 2 months ago, and ghosted it from the Seagate. The PC has been OK since. The PSU is a Re-capped CWT PSF400S, and I don't think it's responsible.

I originally acquired the Seagate drive (the first one to die) a while back after the PSU in a customer's PC failed and destroyed the board, but the HDD survived. Considering its history, I don't blame it too much for failing.

The WD used to be in my main rig (a Socket A at the time) until about 3 years ago, when I upgraded, and gave my old PC to my parents. It was used in there for about another two years, when they got my old s775 PC and I got a s1156. I've already had to return it once aver a similar issue - data corruption, failed diagnostics tests and the PC boot-looping.

All I can say is HDDs
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: 2 HDD failures in two days

I haven't had an HDD failure for a long time knock on wood lol

Comment

What does MHDD say about those 2 drives?
      Any reallocated or pending sectors?

Comment

Well shit now the 750GB Seagate 7200.11 in my Mac Pro is clicking and so is the 500GB drive I put in my Asus laptop (stock was only 320GB)... but both still work but WHAT DID YOU DO????!!!! lol!

Comment

Well, I spoke too soon. The computer ate a 3rd HDD today - a 320GB WD (my last HDD).

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. RAID FTW!
            sig files are for morons

Comment

^
              I know. The problem with RAID, though, is that if the board dies, you won't be able to get the data off the drives.

FWIW, the last drive the PC killed was a WD3200AAKS. That drive is completely unreadable. I put the PSU on the load tester today, and it was able to manage 400W with the voltages and ripple well in spec. I doubt the PC would have been pulling anywhere near that, though. I think the problem was most likely with the motherboard(my old GA-EP45-DS3L). I've replaced it with a DFI Lanparty board (the only brand I liked more than Gigabyte), but I'm now all out of HDDs.

Comment

Working...
              X