Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enermax PRO 82+ II not working

Hello everyone,

After 6 years of use, my Enermax PRO 82+ II 525W PSU stopped working.
    For the past 2-3 days when I powered on the outlet I heard a noise like "tsaf" from the PSU. Last night it died. No smoke, sounds, effects or smell.

Opened it and couldn't find anything wrong. Could it be an NTC Thermistor? Enermax has bad history with them.

I know that photo autopsies are difficult but I wanted some opinions. Is it worth it to have it fixed and use it in the main PC? Or based on the years of use it is not a good idea?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mpokwsths; 03-28-2017, 09:32 AM.

Re: Enermax PRO 82+ II not working

Well, start by seeing what you have at +5VSB, usually the purple wire on a 20- or 24-pin ATX connector. That kind of divides which way your work goes. If +5VSB is present, then you need to find out why the main outputs aren't there. If +5VSB is not there or isn't in regulation, then that is what you need to troubleshoot.

When you open up the PSU, do a general check for damaged components. A swollen cap or one that has vented electrolyte could be a clue, or it could be unrelated, but in need of replacement.

NTC inrush thermistors generally don't fail subtly. They tend to fry, crack, or break apart - something visually obvious. The small electrolytic capacitors in the primary circuit may go bad without visible sign of failure. That PSU is over 7 years old (the date codes on the transformers, "0944" mean 44th week of 2009), so those small electrolytic capacitors are worth checking.
    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks for replying.

Comment

bulged caps in shrinkwrap near the top?

Comment

Yeah I too think the +5 V SB caps are bad.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
          X