Dell Optiplex GX150, CDROM issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell Optiplex GX150, CDROM issue

http://www.nliteos.com is a program that builds a bootable Windows image for XP and 2000. I use it for slipstreaming drivers into Windows CDs for computers without floppy drives. It will build a bootable ISO image when it's all done.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
      http://www.nliteos.com is a program that builds a bootable Windows image for XP and 2000. I use it for slipstreaming drivers into Windows CDs for computers without floppy drives. It will build a bootable ISO image when it's all done.
      Awesome! Thanks for posting this, it worked great.

So, a summary of what I did...
      First, I extracted the Windows 2000 ISO file with WinRar, then edited the SETUPP.INI file as mentioned. Finally created a new ISO with nLite, burned it to a CD, and now I have a working Windows 2000 OEM CD . Installed it with no problem on an older Dell Latitude C600 laptop.

Thanks again. Wouldn't have been able to do it without your help.
      Last edited by momaka; 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        You can make your own OEM CD from a Retail CD - at least that's what I read on the internets a few days ago (I ran into a bunch of laptops with Windows 2000 OEM stickers and wanted to get Win 2k installed on them so I'm working on this issue as well).

From what I read so far, basically all you have to do is make/find an image of Windows 2000 (doesn't matter which version), then edit the file "SETUPP.INI" in the "i386" folder - particularly the last 3 digits of the PID value. What those last 3 digits mean:

000 - Retail CD keys
        OEM - OEM CD keys
        270 - Volume License CD Keys

I have an ISO image but haven't found a good ISO editor. I can unpack the ISO and change that ini file, but then I can't get the CD to be bootable any more. Will let you know if I work out something.

Thanks, I'll give this a try! Not sure when I'll have time, but hopefully soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
          If anyone is looking for RAMBUS, I have 2gb of it sitting here in 512mb sticks......
          Very tempting, but I think I'll just part the system out. It's only a 1.8Ghz P4, and I think I have a buyer for the motherboard.

Gotta get rid of 2 or 3 more computers soon. My workshop is getting crowded again.

Comment

Working...
          X