Cobolt CB1418TV 14" CRT TV repaired - and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobolt CB1418TV 14" CRT TV repaired - and a question

Today I decided to look at a little CRT TV a friend gave me as non working, he said it would power on then power off. When I tried, it didn't do anything.

320V was present at the primary capacitor, and I saw nothing obviously bad in the power supply. Then I checked underneath and spotted two power resistors with broken solder joints (R813, R814). (Also see bodge diode under IC201 )

I re-soldered them and the rest of the primary side components as some joints looked a little off, and the TV came on just fine - but then I discovered the front panel buttons were not operating properly.

The design is very simple, they use a resistor ladder with a button at each 'rung' so the IC is just sensing different voltage levels on a single input (Pin 3).
    At first I thought to blame the resistors but that would be unlikely and I thought I better check the simple thing first: Are the buttons working properly? - and guess what - they aren't!

They are standard right-angle PCB mount tactile switches but the on resistance is all over the place. One of them wouldn't consistently go below 150 Ohms. I guess they were either made of crap or have corroded internally, probably both.

I also notice they seem to really like axial leaded ceramics! Not sure what the special treatment of C514 on the neck board is for, though.

But what I really want to know, what is up with the general purpose, 85°C rated capacitors everywhere, even on the SMPS outputs. Is this normal for CRT TVs in general or just the el-cheapo ones like this?

Edit: Found service guide\schematic etc here: http://monitor.espec.ws/section1/topic121112.html and attached files here in case anyone ever wants them.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Agent24; 04-30-2014, 02:51 AM.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Re: Cobolt CB1418TV 14" CRT TV repaired - and a question

It's typical for TVs. "Back in the day" they used 85C caps everywhere. But they were high quality ones and also sized properly so they lasted for bloody ages.

Nowadays some caps placed in high-stress areas are 105C, but they're usually crap brands so they still fail 3-5 years in. I've seen some that even failed during the warranty period. Most of them are still going to be 85C.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      It's typical for TVs. "Back in the day" they used 85C caps everywhere. But they were high quality ones and also sized properly so they lasted for bloody ages.
      Figures. But they aren't even low ESR. Is there something about the power supply in a TV that low ESR doesn't matter or are they just cheaping out?
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

1) TVs don't care that much about ripple
        2) If the cap is physically large enough, it's gonna have adequate handling of ripple and sufficiently low ESR even if it's 85C GP. Space is not a concern in a CRT TV.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Odd, I have a high quality 12 year old CRT (14 inch) using 105°C Rubycon and Nichicon.

I think it's a matter of costs. The only caps subject to significant ripple are the B+ caps and they're usually very big so can handle high ripple current. The lower voltages for audio and CPU are lower current.

A modern LCD TV draws most of its power from low voltage rails.
          Last edited by tom66; 04-30-2014, 03:46 AM.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
          X