Toshiba A500 - HDD will not clone-recovery discs fail installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba A500 - HDD will not clone-recovery discs fail installation

I just loaded HD sentinel (trial) The HDD is still reading flatout for the scan.but it's screaming at me to backup!
    Attached Files

Comment

Log says 1656 bad sectors and 8 pending. It's on its way out, Jim!

The question is, how long has it got left?
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Run Magic Jellybean Keyfinder on your windows laptop to reveal the Windows key.
        OEM discs or recovery partitions usually come full with the usual trial software and crapware. It's usually quicker to install from a disc and install the latest drivers then to uninstall the crapware and ensure you have the latest drivers.
        What did the Toshiba hard drive diagnostic software say ? I'm guessing Toshiba use their own drives in their laptops.

That drive is hanging on, that's a lot of bad sectors.
        Last edited by diif; 10-25-2014, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
          Log says 1656 bad sectors and 8 pending. It's on its way out, Jim!

The question is, how long has it got left?
          Yeah, hopefully I'll make this priority and don't come back with ,

It's worse than that, he's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead, Jim;
          it's worse than that, he's dead, Jim, dead, Jim, dead.

Pretty young drive!

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            Run Magic Jellybean Keyfinder on your windows laptop to reveal the Windows key.
            OEM discs or recovery partitions usually come full with the usual trial software and crapware. It's usually quicker to install from a disc and install the latest drivers then to uninstall the crapware and ensure you have the latest drivers.
            What did the Toshiba hard drive diagnostic software say ? I'm guessing Toshiba use their own drives in their laptops.
            have not found one, just Fujitsu on the Toshiba website unless that will work on this. It's a Toshy drive, not the original. got this faulty but fixed it, came with a disk copy so it was a new drive about 2-2.5yrs old with OEM recovery installed.

Might have to go down that path, not all mine have visible COA, got 3 machines and another shortly, sigh.

Comment

Some progress, managed to get my original disc set to work for a reinstall. Swapped out the dvd drive and it managed to read the marked discs so at least i can now burn a working fresh copy. Small issue with vista refusing to do windows updates.

I'll start backing up this other drive and go from there.

Comment

@tw2005 it's on the Hiren CD under hard drive tools, on the third page, click the more tab.

Dos Programs -> 6. Hard Drive tools -> 8. More -> 8. More -> 6. Toshiba Hard Disk Diagnosis.

Comment

@tw2005 it's on the Hiren CD under hard drive tools, on the third page, click the more tab.

Dos Programs -> 6. Hard Drive tools -> 8. More -> 8. More -> 6. Toshiba Hard Disk Diagnosis.
                  cheers.

Also windows update issue on new drive, remarkably all due to the size of the drive (750G)and Intel rapid Storage drivers update solved that thanks to someone posting in the web.

Comment

Came up with FAIL

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                      You might already know this, but if you are going to try copying a lot of files from it in Windows, you might want to use something better than the inbuilt Windows filecopy function if you're doing more than a few at a time. It's headache and rage-inducing when Windows explorer throws a fit on an uncopyable file halfway through 10s of GBs of files, and then you have no clue what exactly has copied and what hasn't.

I use SuperCopier (now called Ultracopier) but there are many file copy programs which are a million times better than the one in Windows.

With regard to SMART (again), the best program I think you can use is HDAT2. It's absolutely paranoid and when you run the SMART check it warns you if anything is not 100% perfect. Unfortunately it's DOS-based and has to be run from a bootdisk, but it's a great program. Plus I love the retro interface! It's also good for scanning drives for bad sectors or wiping them.
                      Ultracopier had a heart attack and crashed. So I managed to do an OEM rebild, then did and image of my "C" drive partition, then dumped that on the new partition and all good.

Strangely after i did a fresh rebuild of the factory install on a 750g drive, Astone cloner still refused to clone it, both new drives and both 750G. I can't work that out. I did a 1TB to 2TB clone with it for the desktop with no issues. Time to move on I guess because I'm lost for reasons.

Comment

Interesting. I have never had a problem with SuperCopier before. Maybe the new version has bugs, but then if you still can't clone even a fresh copy, maybe something even weirder is going on. Nothing else springs to my mind except ridiculous theories about highly-resistant rootkits or such.
                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                        X