Viewsonic Optiquest Q19wb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viewsonic Optiquest Q19wb

Hi, I have a 1 year old 19in LCD screen that works perfectly fine for 2-10 seconds and the backlights shut down. No sign of bad caps. I did an intense visual inspection. Many people have had this problem and a solution has never been posted. When the lights shut down I can still see info on the screen. It has to do with the backlights power regulation. I tested the voltage across several cap points on the board and it jumps from high 14v to low 14v.
    I'm going to swap the 1000uf 25v with a radio shack 1000uf 35v. I saw it solves the problem on fixya. Is this safe? What would happen if I used a 1000uf 50v. I decided the biggest cap 1000uf 25v is for the backlights which seem obvious to need the most power.
    Any advice would be great.

Re: Viewsonic Optiquest Q19wb

Originally posted by MBAJACE
    Hi, I have a 1 year old 19in LCD screen that works perfectly fine for 2-10 seconds and the backlights shut down. No sign of bad caps. I did an intense visual inspection. Many people have had this problem and a solution has never been posted. When the lights shut down I can still see info on the screen. It has to do with the backlights power regulation. I tested the voltage across several cap points on the board and it jumps from high 14v to low 14v.
    I'm going to swap the 1000uf 25v with a radio shack 1000uf 35v. I saw it solves the problem on fixya. Is this safe? What would happen if I used a 1000uf 50v. I decided the biggest cap 1000uf 25v is for the backlights which seem obvious to need the most power.
    Any advice would be great.
    If you saw on Fixya that rubbing horse droppings on the monitor would fix the problems, would you try that? In the world of capacitors, Radio Shack capacitors are the equivalent of horse droppings.

There are many causes for the 'two seconds to black' problem. Bad capacitors are one of them, replacing the bad caps with good ones will fix that. Radio Shack does not carry any capacitors that are likely to help, and may be worse than those presently in the monitor.

There are other possible causes, including a bad transformer, bad ccfl, bad solder joints where the wires are soldered on the end of the ccfls, bad diodes, bad glue, and a few more.

If you want help, follow the link about attaching pictures in my signature. Take good quality pictures of both top and bottom of the power supply / inverter and attach them to you next post.

PlainBill
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

HAHA, I understand. It did not fix the problem. I found a ebay supplier that had a cap set for 12.00. The radio shack cap didn't do anything. I will get some photos. The boards look good though, hopefully someone can notice whats wrong. I can only detect 14v in the board. I will get the pictures you want ASAP.
      Thanks PlainBill

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Pictures of the back?

You will get much better focus if you use macro mode and take the pictures close to a window for better light (especially if it is sunny out there).
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Also just to give you an idea of all the possible problems that PlainBill is talking about, see this video (about 8 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/user/preherte.../1/HMUazhb0bhc

I'm not saying your problem is represented in the video. I'm just trying to give you an idea of how many things you might have to check. He talks about all the possible problems pretty quick, but they are equivalent to what PlainBill is saying.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

OK, I will try to get better pics.

Comment

Is this under warranty? 1 year old?

Hi, I have a 1 year old 19in LCD screen
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps
                  Is this under warranty? 1 year old?
                  Not any more!

Just for reference, the attached pictures are what I hope to see when I ask for pictures. I don't need close-ups of capacitors; three different angles on a heat sink won't excite me. A straight-on shot clear enough I can follow the traces - almost as good as Miss June!!

Troubleshooting 'Two seconds to black' issues is a work in progress. Eventually I hope to be able to get the process down to the point where we can eliminate a number of possible causes quickly. That goal is a long way away.

PlainBill
                  Attached Files
                  For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I'm still working on getting better pics but I found interesting readings from what I believe to be the transformer. It has the copper spun around it. The inner ( I think secondaries) are not reading any volts. Later down the board it steps from 120 to 136v
                    On the outside of the transformer it looks perfectly normal. Could this be the problem?

The two components (boxes) leading to the LCD were outputing 11v all evenly. This may be stupid but I hardwired the fuse to eliminate that as the cause. In fact I know its stupid. If I blow the board oh well. I'll buy a new one but I'd prefer to find the problem.

Comment

g
                      Attached Files

Comment

I'm still working on getting better pics but I found interesting readings from what I believe to be the transformer. It has the copper spun around it. The inner ( I think secondaries) are not reading any volts. Later down the board it steps from 120 to 136v
                        On the outside of the transformer it looks perfectly normal. Could this be the problem?

The two components (boxes) leading to the LCD were outputing 11v all evenly. This may be stupid but I hardwired the fuse to eliminate that as the cause. In fact I know its stupid. If I blow the board oh well. I'll buy a new one but I'd prefer to find the problem.
                        1. Even a poor picture is worth a thousand words. Word descriptions don't cut it.

2. Shorting out the fuse is a REALLY bad idea. Don't do that.

3. I've identified some points on the back. Note the two transformers, outputs O1, O2, O3, and O4, the two drivers, and the inverter controller.

4. What is the part number of the inverter controller?

5. What is the part number of the inverter drivers?

6. What is the resistance from O1 to O2? What is the resistance from O2 to O4?

7. The pictures are quite good as far as size is concerned, but I really need something sharper.

PlainBill

Comment

The #'s on the board are
                          ILPI-025
                          REV: F

On the blue power switching device
                          SPW-055 RoHS
                          NCE N 0830
                          GH-130 E217615

The two black drivers? leading to the display wires are
                          SPW-068 Rohs
                          LSE J06CH

I'm going to have to do some research on testing the resistance ( I know my meter can do it ).

Also I found a shorted pink resistor. There is an identical resistor next to it that is not shorted. There are 3 different sizes of pink resistors, it is one of the largest.

Comment

Picture I found, exact same.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Transformers measure .631 and .635 for 501 and 502 I'm going to do the 8 point check you posted awhile back for an identical power supply from acer

Comment

Oddly it was working again and when I tried power cycling it to see if it was fixed it is now back in 2 seconds to black mode. Also it was moved from 1 machine to another. I think it has some kind of memory to it. Is there a way I can bypass the back lights. Hard wire them on? The info is still showing up on the screen if I shine a led at it. All of the bulbs are fine.

Comment

My mistake, I forgot to attach the picture that goes with the questions I asked above.

PlainBill
                                  Attached Files

Comment

My recollection on this model is that it frequently has bad CCFL (one or both of the top lamps failed). You might want to get anpther set of lamp to check the lamps.

Comment

BTW I found 2 resistors that were shorted. Make any sense?

Comment

It just ran again for about 10 min before I reset the settings on graphic card. CFLs are off again. In 5 or so hrs it should work again. I'm getting normal readings on the board. Just to resistors that seem to be shorted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X