Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEAK Powerline Adapters type 159814NRPK

Hello,
    Firstly, I am new to this forum, I'm an IT & networks expert but I know nothing much about electronics though I can pull a board with brilliance (LOL) and I can wield a soldering iron.

I have several of these PEAK Powerline adapters [100-240V 50-60Hz] (been working for over 2 years) that have all failed within a few weeks of each other and I am convinced that this is as a result of capacitors gone bad. (there are 2 obviously well domed marked C3 & C10).

I haven't removed these domed (& doomed) caps yet to see their value but I'm wondering if anyone has come across these particular devices and could offer me any advice before I start.

Maybe there is insufficient information here for anyone to help but at the moment I don't know what other things need to be mentioned.

I'd appreciate any comment.
    Graham (UK)

Re: PEAK Powerline Adapters type 159814NRPK

Hi Graham,

I bought a pair of these from Dabs a couple of years ago.
    One day, I plugged one in and noticed it squealing.
    Opened it up to find bulged caps.

I replaced the caps in question in both and they've worked fine ever since. They run quite hot.

Contents now:
    C3: 220uf 25v Panasonic FM
    C4: 47uf 50v Panasonic FC
    C10: 1000uf 6.3v Panasonic FC
    C11: 220uf ?v Panasonic FC - I can't see the voltage. I would guess at 16v.

Both work fine.

Comment

Hi SeanC,
      Thank you so much for your swift response.
      I'll get on to RS Comps tomorrow and order the caps.
      Graham

Comment

Hi SeanC,
        Got called away on business so haven't had a chance 'till now to review caps.
        I have removed the caps on my unit and they are:

C3: 220uf 25v
        C4: 47uf 25v
        C10: 1000uf 10v
        C11: 220uf 10v
        Slightly different to yours.
        All are SC 105 deg TEAPO

Any further comment (from anyone) before I proceed would be gratefully received.
        Thanks
        Graham

Comment

The ones where I've upgraded the voltage will just have been me using what I had around. You can go up in voltage with no problem - it's just how much voltage the cap can handle.

I'm not sure what's going on with the 1000uf 6.3v... I guess I measured it with a multimeter and found it was 5v or less... you could measure yours and see. I've been using them for nearly a year now and they've not exploded.

Mine were all Teapo as well.

Comment

Hi SeanC,
            Thanks again for your comment and advice.
            I don't think that my C10 was measurable considering the state it was in (and worse, it fell apart on removal).
            I shall go for the voltages as they read on the caps; especially considering size is all important to fit in the limited space.
            I hope to be mentioning here my success with this project soonest (and I shall be honest if I fail).
            Graham

Comment

Working...
            X