This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi. I am from Malta. Have very limited electronics experience but trying to repair the Power Supply of a Samsung TV instead of throwing it away.

Thanks

Comment

Hi, retired navy nuke electrician (1998). Was getting ready to replace a 42" flat screen tv. But thought maybe my issue was common and might be able to fix it. This forum gave me all I needed. Great forum, glad to be here.

Comment

Hi, I'm Phalanx. Looking to repair my HZ281 monitor. Found the site on Google...looks great so far.

Comment

Hi from a french student!
          Nice website/forum, as it is one of the only available in english about component level repair. Still sad that it doesn't contain as much information as what can be found on vietnamese (or other asian) websites.
          I'm actually trying to learn about motherboard repair, beyond bad caps replacement.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Hi all, found Badcaps whilst looking for info on replacing some caps and resistors in a Kenwood mixer. I'm the nerdy one in the family, have an interest in fixing things, computers are really my hobby I suppose ..... Don't really do Mac stuff but real familiar with anything PC related. Anyway look forward to checking out the forums

Cheers Dean

Comment

Hi everyone ,semi retired tv basher ,have done a lot of motorised dish swinging
              started in the days of b/w when tv repair men were treated like superheros
              oh how things have changed.

Comment

Hi

My name is Michael. I am from Northern Calfornia. I have had a long time interest in electronics. I have done repair on motherboards, CRTS and many other types of products. Most recently my interests are LCD/LED televisions and monitors. Way too many make it to the dump and could have been saved.

I hope I can contribute and learn a lot too from this forum.

Comment

Hi guys,

Found this forum while looking around at LED backlight conversion mods. Thought I'd sign up to try look at some of the photos of the jobs people have done.

Comment

Hello!

Found this site trying to fix a TV I got for free. Looking forward to gaining experience in repair and to fix this TV!

Comment

Hello!

I'm a dutch student who fixes smartphones and monitors.

Comment

Greetings,
                        John here from Austin, Texas. Found this thread while googling for help with a 'trashcan' Magnavox 32" LCD TV. Coming home from work one day, just a few blocks from the house, saw it sitting on top of a trash bin. Couldn't help it - had to stop and pick it up. Looked it over and thought ... hmmm ... wonder if I can get it working. Well, a few weeks and a couple of Mouser parts orders later, it's not working yet, but I haven't given up yet. Learned a lot ... figure I'll learn a bit more before it's either working or off to recycling.
                        - js

Comment

Hello my name is Nate I am a freelance web, graphic, and industrial designer. I also build custom vw/and audis. I live in New Hampshire USA I have a wife and a 16month old son. I have worked for computer stores and done it support for clients for almost 20 years. I am not versed so much on the lower level hardware and components that the forum caters too but I have the help of my step father who is an electrical engineer so that is helpful. Thanks to all the people who put together the different threads very helpful!

Comment

Greetings from central Florida. I was looking for a fix for an LCD tv and found the forum.

Looking forward to gaining knowledge and contributing.

Comment

Hi from Cincinnati, Ohio. I found this forum while looking for a fix to an old Dell monitor. Hopefully I can get it fixed.

Comment

Hi, my name is Tony and I am got interested in the whole capacitor plague thing by watching a YouTube channel with someone who deals alot with computer PSUs.

On one of his videos, he mentioned a user on this site that designed a IC 5V standby rail mod for the infamous Worstec motherboard killer. You know, that ATX-250-12E has killed many eMachines boards back in the day.

I have worked with computers since I was young, and I have always wondered why electronics failed all the time. My parents would always say that things never lasted like they did even 20 years ago. Well, I know why now. Capacitor plague.

Also, it was also the reason why a Linksys BEFSR41 failed just days after I bought it. Other people had the same problem... capacitor plague. It's everywhere, and I hope these crap caps will someday go away.

Comment

Hi. My name is Scott. I mainly fix computers and mobile phones as a hobby. Hope to be helpful to someone somewhere!

Comment

I am from Shanghai China.
                                    I've been in the electronics field since 1995, with experience ranging from TVR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer. I started in computers in 1996, just for a change and something I thought would be more challenging.... First of all, in the computer field, I AM NOT a number cruncher (programmer) YUK!!!!! I'm a hardware/network guy... I can install any OS, repair and make it work, but sitting and typing code is more boring than watching flies mate!! So I stick to hardware!! I get the 'thrill' from coming up with cures for problems, creative and USEFUL mods (this DOES NOT include neon lights and corny batman windows in my cases)...

Comment

Hi from Texas. I must admit that while I am familiar with soldering onto PCBs, I've never tried it on TVs or other large electronics.
                                      My TV decided to crap out, and instead of tossing it out, I thought about at least trying to fix it and stumbled upon this forum.

Comment

Re: New Members - pl

Originally posted by petabyte View Post
                                        As this is a brand new forum, I thought I'd open up a thread to encourage new members to introduce themselves a bit.. now hey.. let's not get too personal.. ok ?

And if you wouldn't mind to keep this thread \"clean\" let's try to keep the the chitchat (i.e. even the welcome to the board replies) to a minimum or this thread may get to 100 pages fast

So I'll start things off :

My name is petabyte and I'm a forum junkie. :oops: I've been off the wagon for a number of years and countless times I've tried to stop but it's useless.. I need to feed my learning addiction.. :!:

Now just a bit about me.. I'm a fairly secretive guy in terms of privacy on the net.. especially when the things you write are visable to anyone with a net connection. But I love to share the info and knowledge I have, so that's why I'm here, to share and learn.

my formal education is that of an electronic engineer and I held a field service position with a firm for over 20 years.. that job is gone now along with company car and laptop <cry> oh well..
                                        So needless to say (but i will) I've always tinkered with things.. yes, a hacker.. (too bad that term lost it's orignal meaning) a hardware hacker mostly.. hacking fixes in whatever I find that breaks.. (except for cars, I have friends for that) I got started a little late into the computers, my first box was an ibm pc-xt with a whopping 10meg HD,blazing fast 4.66mhz 8086 processor, 640k mem running dos 3.3.. man was I cool back then.. :roll: nevermind..

so these days, I'm forced to be a software guy as well.. as I fix pc's for friends and that usually means cleaning virus/trojan/adware and reinstalling OS's.. yeah hardware breaks but not that often :cry: so as a result, I keep up on my software knowledge by visting a few security forums.. and trolling around a few hardware forums as well.

now I found this place from a thread at motherboards.org/forums
                                        where I've been hanging out lately.. it's a nice friendly place with some pretty smart people.. mostly, of course, it's about mobo's.. So this person mentioned badcaps.net and I recalled reading articles a year or so ago about the faulty caps and was curious as to what you guys were up to.. and I said \"w00t.. they have a forum\"..

and so now.. you're stuck with me :P

so what's your story ? come on.. give it up..
                                        . Hi I am Mark and have always been a bit tecki, and one of my kids lads packed up and after getting stupid repair prices I decided sack that and got the tool kit out and wiped the back off this 42" lcd ( after earthing myself) and behold this technical wonder 4 boards and a few wires. After checking all capacitors for leakages and bulges, all clear and flat. The symptoms I have are it won't come on, red stands light eliminates black screen back light on and the remote doesn't work. Am a bit sketchy as the sets at my woman's house and don't want to bring it to mine if it's goosed. Have been looking at some of the online courses on utube and come to the realise patron that this is not rocket science. Have ordered esr meter so can check whether capacitors and a new soldering station. Oh I am 50 this year and when I was growing up u had valves in your tv and 2 shades ( black & white) am not used to talking to people but am the first to offer help ehere needed, the end. ( access please)

Comment

Hi Ya; I'm from the LA area, into building and playing with tube guitar amps... my name in Brian151

Comment

Working...
                                          X